DCI and DCA

This is a question for those who have marched junior corps and senior corps and/or spectators that have been around awhile and have a strong grasp of both.

As many of you know, I'm a DCI freak; but recently I noticed that I know next to nothing about the senior division of the activity. So, I did what I always do when I want to know about something: I hopped on my PC and looked up "DCA". What I found was amazing. One show that really stuck out, to me, was the Hawthorne Caballeros (I'm guessing they were the senior version of the now retired Hawthorne Muchachos) 2003 show. Though the drill wasn't...as jaw dropping as the junior corps; I was completely blown away by the music this corps played. Screaming sopranos, deafening drums, and amongst all of that...a beautiful ballad of one of my favorite pieces.

So, here's my question: What are the big differences and similarities between junior and senior corps (specifically in performance)?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Caballeros were around before the Muchachos.

I think the Caballeros were around before the Muchachos.

Yeah, they were; but I think they were associated somehow.

So, here's my question: What are the big differences and similarities between junior and senior corps (specifically in performance)?

DCA: Mostly weekend only, much more regional....and a great starting point for someone that wants to learn the activity from the ground up. Look for Empire Statesmen, Minnesota Brass, Inc and the San Francisco Renegades as other examples of DCA-style corps. Additionally, there's a bit more emphasis on "showmanship" and "entertainment" for DCA as compared to DCI...you'll notice a lot of DCA corps have sop screamers or feature much more "in your face" arranging than their DCI counterparts.

The G bugle is still used by a few corps, even though Bb is now legal. Some corps have had success by using a more "DCI" show design model....see Reading Buccaneers (reps of SCV in recent years, playing "New Era" this year) and Syracuse Brigadiers (they've done some takes on recent BD shows) in recent years for that. Either way can work, as the more "DCA-designed" units like Hawthorne and Empire are always in the hunt as well.

With DCA comes a touch of regional envy....every champion in DCA's "Open Class" has been from the NE United States. That may change slowly as DCA starts to expand outword to the South and West. There's been tremendous growth in those areas of the country (CorpsVets, Carolina Gold, Ausitn Stars, Derby City Knights, etc) since the start up costs are smaller compared to trying to start a full-touring Division I/II. Less touring, less commitment, more localized shows, etc.

In short, it's a little different than what some might expect if they've never seen a DCA performance....you trade execution in some regards for entertainment/in your face. I think in another thread you mentioned Garfield 1984 as your favorite show...if that's the case, then DCA will certainly please you.

Tons of people here who can add much, much more....but that's a quick overview. :)

I actually had more fun with Renegades then I did in my Jr. years. However, I may have tried to block those years out. B)

The day I stepped in front of my first DCA crowd at finals in '03 blew away anything I felt performance-wise in DCI. However, the reaction of the crowd after that first performance blew that feeling way! Then at retreat that year came the "boo" (not Mike. That was the next year) that blew even that away.

Edited by skajerk

Biggest difference between junior corps and senior corps is probably spelling. Pronunciation too. They are completely different.

Honestly though, from everything I've seen, the difference is the time that is put into a junior corps season vs a senior corps season. Junior corps often spend way more time competiting, and travel a lot further. Nothing against DCA by any means. The majority of DCA members, though, are adults, and as such don't have the same time constraints that junior corps members often do. It's one thing to take a summer break off and go tour the country. It's another to call in sick to the office every few days.

And on that note, senior corps definitly have a place and are awesome to watch. The drill isn't as demanding, from what I've seen, but these guys are veteran players, and as such they can WAIL on those horns. I love the sound. Renegades anyone?

Cabs started 1946 and Muchachos came later. But both were sponsored by AL Post #199 in Hawthorne and think Costello family had a hand in running Muchachos as well as Cabs.

As far the original question of differences in performance. oy... where to start. :P Especially since the Senior/All Age corps are so different in terms of style and mentaility. Mentality = out to win DCA, show designed for the fans, etc....

Heh, amazing what "Weekend Warriors" can do with their spare time. :)

Thank you, bawker.

Yes, I did notice that there was MUCH more "Soprano screaming" in the DCA shows than in the DCI shows which is right up my alley.

Now, I love art and DCI is always pushing the envelope when it comes to the artistic boundaries of drum and bugle corps; but sometimes I just like a good, loud, "in your face" show.

Also - it isn't just old farts. A lot of DCA corps members are DCI eligable but march DCA because:

1 - they can't afford DCI, or

2 - they have a weekday job, or

3 - maybe they like it better!!!

My first DCA Finals was in 2003 as well. I was pleasantly surprised. The shows are very entertaining. The drill is not quite as remarkable, but not as dirty as you would expect from weekend warriors.

One misconception that I always try to correct is that DCA corps are filled with a bunch of old men who didn't know when it was time to quit. That is far from true. I would say the majority of DCA corps have the bulk of their membership comprised of men and women in their late 20's early 30's with a few who have been marching for quite a bit longer. As I've seen the drill increase in difficulty, I've seen the ages drop in some of these corps.

Also, there are lot of younger kids who are still DCI eligible who do DCA for a few reasons: 1. It's more affordable 2. It requires less time.

There is actually a trend today that most corps are removing "Senior" from their titles and replacing it with "All Age".

Why they are not so popular? Simple, they don't have the marketing machine going on that DCI does. I got my videos in 2003 and noticed they were much "cheaper" and "cheaply made". There aren't alot of shows that aren't in the Northeast. In the midwest and California, they just tag on to DCI shows.

I think if you want sheer entertainment and you love drumcorps, you should check em out. Don't expect earth shattering Cavaliers style drill or that great BD brass sound, but you can expect to enjoy yourself if your expectations aren't as high.