Time to eliminate QF, give Thursday night to D2/3?

Eliminating the Thursday show  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I have attended Quarterfinals on Thursday at least once

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I would be in favor of:

• Leaving QF/SF/Finals as is
    • Eliminating QF altogether
    • Elimiating QF only if Division 2/3 get the Thursday Night slot for their Championship
  3. 3. Typically, QF attendance is around 8k. D2/3 Finals is typically half.

• Switching would make up the difference
    • D2/3 Finals wouldn't match the attendance of a Quarterfinals

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I doubt DCI would be willing to give up the revenue generated by showing quarters in the theater.

Well I didn't want to just toss it under the bus right away. I knew that was the biggest practical problem besides total gate $, but ya know... no one says I have to be practical here. =)

My best week of Drum Corps ever was Madison 2002 - a Drum Corps extravaganza that I'd love to repeat. I saw every performance in every show except for 1 of the D2/3 prelims (didn't get back from lunch in time). Boy was my butt sore by the end of that week!! (If you've sat through shows at Camp Randall, you understand.)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it for Prelims last year, but I saw all 5 other shows. I wouldn't want to eliminate any of them. For me, the worst possible solution involves making D2/3 shows COMPETE with the D1 shows - who ever thought that was a good idea? And yet, that's what they did from 2003-2005. What a crock. In Indy, I plan to go to all the shows. Here's an idea, though...move I&E to Tuesday and let the actual shows be on contiguous days. I've never been to I&E and I have absolutely no interest in going - not that I don't respect the performers or their talents - that's just not what interests me. Having a "day off" in the middle of drum corps week never made sense to me.

The most sensible organization I ever saw was in 2002, where they had shows every day, Monday thru Saturday. That was when they let some corps declare for Div 1 and continue competing - I saw Magic 6 times that week! What a great storyline that was. I was OK also with the more compact format last year (Friday and Saturday having two shows each) - as long as I get to go to all 6 shows without having to miss any, I'll be fine.

w/Stp:

(just replace stupid with genuis)

Well, I'm making the assumption that since D1 and D2/3 have diverged themselves, I didn't want to bring that out here. We have beaten that horse to a bloody mass.

I get the feeling like most of you that most fans would rather see a Thursday of D1 than the D2/3 title, but considering that everyone complains about day shows and that there's not much sense in having quarters anymore from an elimination standpoint, I thought this would be an interesting straw poll.

Looks like even still, no one is interested in D2.

What if...

Div. II/III had a finals a week before Indy next year....in Michigan City...and the top 3 from each division come on down to Quarterfinals?

It's almost like what they have worked out anyway.

So we'd have a 28 or 29 (cause I'm thinking Cap. Reg. is coming back next year) corps in one day!!!! I'd love 40, but I'm patient.

Being the dinosaur I am, I like prelims & finals, i would also like the D2/3 get to compete under the lights

however what he said...

Also, I doubt DCI would be willing to give up the revenue generated by showing quarters in the theater.

and in the stadium...

It's only a matter of time before all the divisions get molded into one. The minimum size will go up and its all about touring corps and those who can afford to tour.

Then, it wont matter when Div2/3 goes on and where.

I've been suggesting the idea for years (and mentioning it to anyone who will listen)

Move DIV I Quarterfinals to Friday, Semi to Saturday & finals to Sunday

That would allow II/III to have Thursday and probably increase attendance for the events

But what do I know!!