Houston Review!

To start with, I'd like to get a couple of things out of the way. You may not LIKE my perspective on your favorite corps. Here's some phrases I'm banning from this thread:

"(insert corps) isn't done with their show yet! Just wait till they are!"

No one is done with their show yet. Next.

"When (insert corps) starts cleaning, LOOK OUT!"

Right, because no one else is going to clean their show. Next.

I'd like to also throw out this disclaimer that I know VERY little about color guard...my comments focus mostly on music and drill design, as those are my strong areas. Also, because this was a webcast, not everything in a show will be apparent to me (once I see everyone in San Antonio next week, I'll write up a full blown review).

I want to apologize in advance...I was late to the show due to some HORRID traffic downtown and I missed Gulf Coast Sound and Revolution.

CASCADES

I dug the music for this show (especially "Sleep", which was performed quite well) but from a visual standpoint, in lacks. The performace quailty is really good, and those kids are clearly working hard out there. The brass have some WONDERFUL moments to shine and they do! The drumline, while not the strongest section of the corps, is quite solid and performs well. Still some major drill dirt and some of the musical impact moments, especially towards the end, are lacking a bit of kick. Overall a fine product that is a contender for a Semis spot.

GLASSMEN

This kids certainly look like they are having a good time out there...and I like that part about this show. Visually the show is pretty solid, with better drill than I remember Gmen having in many shows previous to this year. The brass need work...LOTS of intonation issues and overblowing...players sticking out here and there. The drumline is pretty good...but many dirty spots in exposed areas are holding them back. The brass book itself is not terribly challenging which makes me wonder why the brass are having such a hard time with it. Hopefully, they'll work it out. Glassmen are in the hunt for top 12...but are not a lock, yet.

BLUE STARS

Clearly the judges and I saw two different shows because I had Blue Stars taking Glassmen by at least a point. This is a great show and the kids are performing it well. The brass is solid and the drill, while still a bit dirty, is very effective. I'll be quite surprised if the Stars aren't at least in the 12-14 range come finals time. Just a great all-around product!

BOSTON CRUSADERS

I'm going to admit something right up front: I haven't liked a Boston show since 2000. Don't hate me.

But THIS show! Now THIS is a show I can get into! What a pleasent surprise for me to find that I quite enjoyed a Crusaders show! The music is great and well performed, the drill is very good, and the overall package is quite pleasing. I'm not completely sold on the easles...but thats a minor point to what is otherwise a fantastic show design. As well performed as the show was tonight, I actually thought an 83 was a bit low. I had Boston around the 84.5 - 85.0 range. Some dirt still, yes, but this show could threaten for the 7th spot easily.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

Love me some SCV and this show didn't dissapoint. WONDERFUL guard work...and thats coming from a guy who doesn't know a whole lot about it, but they made me take notice! The drill is fantastic. Dirty still, yes, but the potential to grow is almost immeasurable. The music is some really great stuff as well and the brass section sizzles in places. Not a perfect performance...but a solid effort from SCV that I was very pleased with.

CAVALIERS

I knew they'd break 90 tonight. The new ending was in and it was much more effective. I still think it needs a little "something" to bring it totally full circle, but I have no doubt they are working on that. No need to even mention drill. Its the Cavaliers. I LOVED the music! I was able to recognize several Billy Joel charts and it made me smile. At the end of the night, the only question was how far up on SCV they'd be. I think the spread should have been slightly smaller (as in SCV getting a higher score then they did), but it was about right.

I know this review has been superficial at best...but I don't have a lot of time till I head to San Antonio. I'll have a MUCH more detailed review for that show!

Thank you so much for your review! It's my only lifeline with the corps until I see them again in Pasadena.

Good review Brandon, and I agree with you on most points. I also thought Blue Stars would beat Gmen.

BAC was surprisingly good, and that they would be higher then scored. SCV I also thought would be higher, their drill is amazing, and loved the music. Also loved the Bottle-dance step.

The Cavaliers had the wipe out during Pressure where 1 member fell, took out another, and almost got a third. Also a lost shoe, and a piece of one the snare's fell off, and then pretty much kicked across the field. Even with all that, they were freaking awesome. I don't I have seen that much color-guard equipment tossing since the 80's

My cousin is a color guard fanatic, and she loved both the rifle tosses that SCV had during their show.

Thanks for the review. The constructive honesty was/is nice to read!

Thank you so much for your review! It's my only lifeline with the corps until I see them again in Pasadena.
Thanks for the review. The constructive honesty was/is nice to read!

Double dittos. Nice review.

Great review! Thanks. Good score for BAC since my son told me they couldn't do any run thrus or field work at all yesterday because of the condition of the field (where they were staying) and the weather. He said it rained all day.

Thanks again.

Boston Mom

BLUE STARS

Clearly the judges and I saw two different shows because I had Blue Stars taking Glassmen by at least a point. This is a great show and the kids are performing it well. The brass is solid and the drill, while still a bit dirty, is very effective. I'll be quite surprised if the Stars aren't at least in the 12-14 range come finals time. Just a great all-around product!

Seems like alot of people are saying this. What is it about Blue Stars that the judges just don't like? Almost everyone in the Atlanta thread had them third, with a few even saying second. I just don't understand the judges today :rolleyes: .

Seems like alot of people are saying this. What is it about Blue Stars that the judges just don't like? Almost everyone in the Atlanta thread had them third, with a few even saying second. I just don't understand the judges today :worthy: .

I think they might have been a little sloppy visually in Atlanta, but that now seems to be getting fixed. I think the Blue Stars are going to start passing some other corps this weekend.