NEW ALL-AGE CORPS FORMING

And back to actual corps news....we're waiting for news from the adult school admin about setting up show on campus...after then, we'll set a management meeting for after DCI. I'll post a separate thread about it.

(it's possible the decision has been made, but Dave Tautkas would be the teacher of record and would be the one to find out...and he's in Missouri recertifying to be a judge for the Barbershop Harmony Society.)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely understand what you're saying bud, but I'm also realistic about what it takes. Just making sure Sam knows it too. That's all. There ARE tons of possibilities and potential and right now California IS kicking butt. For sure.

Just keep a toe in realism is all I'm saying to Sammy.

Shoot for the stars and land on the moon...Good luck

There is a sound coming out of the west, of legendary age outs of old, looking to take over the world...

...and let me just add one more little thing to this discussion.

Tautkus and I used to play in a freakin' youth band together back in the late 70's early 80's.

SMALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WORLD!!!

Shoot for the stars and land on the moon...Good luck

There is a sound coming out of the west, of legendary age outs of old, looking to take over the world...

Niiiiiice avatar Rick! :grouphug:

Heh, I can't imagine Sam not having fun. :P

Ryan----right on.

Phil----If they can afford the money and additional time to do jr, then they should. If they can't, then All-Age is here for them. All-Age is just that, all ages are welcome. Look at the ranks of the all-age corps now. It is no longe3r "senior" and that is great.

I would point them to a junior corps first tho. Not recruit them into an "all age". I would say the ranks most of the "all age" back east probably have more older folks over 21 than younger.

...and let me just add one more little thing to this discussion.

Tautkus and I used to play in a freakin' youth band together back in the late 70's early 80's.

SMALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WORLD!!!

He told me about that...I was waiting for you to say something....a little slow off the blocks there, Turner!!

I wasn't around when the "all-age" terminology came in...but as far back as I can remember - senior corps allowed 18 yo to march...

Yep...the term "all age" is relatively new just in recent years. At least according to the guy I spoke with at DCA. He also sent me an article on the origins of DCA back in 1964. Used to be over 18 and all male too,heh.

Again, I still think a senior corps is ok with a few juniors in it who can't afford a full junior corps fees,etc. But not if they are the majority of the corps?

I believe DCA has always been all-age and the organization pre-dates DCI. Frontier, out of Texas, is a DCA corps yet when I saw them their first year at DCA they looked to be almost all younger than 21. Does that mean they should go DCI???? nope...

Of course they shouldn't "have" to go to DCI. I think DCA should open up a junior division is all. And DCI a senior. Just my .002 anyway ok? :grouphug:

I checked with DCA directly last year. Yep...DCA definitely predates DCI going back to 1964 and was also never started as "all age". Originally it was 18 and older and all male. The "all age" according to the guy I spoke with at DCA is a recent moniker really.

Dunno about Frontier, but when I saw Bucs and Minnesota Brass and the rest at 04 DCA their average ages were between 25-35 or so. At least that's what I was told by a couple of their alumni and/or instructors sitting by me.

Edited by PaNors77