DCI 101

OK I have another question - I understand the term of "books" - horn book, percussion book, guad book, etc. Are the judges privy to these? Or are they just judging what is on the field? Is there a level of difficulty figured in anywhere?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Why isn't the way the crowd is moved by a performance considered as part of the score for a corps?

How do you score that? Seriously, think about it. Can't use simple decibel level (even if you could, where would the applause meter go? what if the right side of the crowd was louder than the left?) . Any scoring method you use will have a heavy dose of opinion, so why have the judges speculate what other people think?

4. I signed up for the internet DCI thing a couple years ago at $39 for the Summer. How come the price is now $89 and is it worth it?

I'm a little miffed at this one, too. I think I remember the full year pass last year being $79 and the summer pass $39. This year, there's only full year. So from that perspective, it's only a $10 difference. However, for guys like you and me, it's a $50 difference.

I have not gotten an answer on this from DCI, but my guess is too many people bought the summer pass and it didn't cover their costs. I don't look at it so much anymore as I'm paying too much this year as I got a great deal last year.

Last year, the full-show streaming thing was a bonus...esp. with how often they did it. This year, it's a feature of the package. So really, last year it was free (while it was in Beta) and this year you're paying for it. If you look at it like you are getting streaming full shows (any time you want, no less!) for $50 more than last year, it is a good deal.

5. Is the slotting finished for the season? I do not mean the final placements, but only the groupings.

Wow, does this one open up a can of worms...

I'm gonna say no: the slotting is not done, corps can still jump between "slots". Take BK last year, for instance. In mid/late July they had begun to pull away from "the pack" but still lost to Boston at San Antonio. No one expected by Finals they were going to take Crown, who looked like they were gunning for the top 5.

Lots of funny stuff can happen on Finals night. Last year, only 3 corps' placements remained unchanged between semis & Finals (Cavaliers, Gmen & Spirit).

5. Is the slotting finished for the season? I do not mean the final placements, but only the groupings.

"slotting" and "seeding" ... two terms I have heard steadily since the '70's. But I don't buy into the fact that either actually really happens. I believe if that were the case, it would only take a few simple spreadsheets to show trends year to year that would prove "slotting" or "seeding" and we could show collusion.

Edited by GGarrett

OK I have another question - I understand the term of "books" - horn book, percussion book, guad book, etc. Are the judges privy to these? Or are they just judging what is on the field? Is there a level of difficulty figured in anywhere?

Judges are not privy to this information. It's not that it a highly classified document, but changes in all these "books" are don't continuously that it's not prudent to for the judges to have them. Plus judges are so focused on the performance that having this information would not help judging in any way. Let's just say it's not a necessary part of the judging system.

Why must the bottom 14 or so corps jockey for a position in the evening show (in reference to today's SA show)? Why not just start the show with all the corps in their groupings and let that be that?

Do judges really use "numbers management"...i.e. (corps that go on first are given lower scores) or is this just a myth?

If its true...it really upsets me...give a corps a hard number for their hard work...not for some perceived spread....

3. How does bumping cops membership by 15 really benefit any corps other than the top few? It seems a few years ago it went up to 135 to fill in the open seats on three busses, providing the experience for a few more at a relatively low cost. Is there a cost effective 15 person bus I don't know about?

It's called "short bus" my friend.

It's called "short bus" my friend.

It seems like a short bus would add to the cost of the corps operation while only allowing 15 additional performers. It doesn't make financial sense because you have to have the same number of divers, insurance, maintenance, etc., for short and regular/long busses. The only difference is that a short bus may have a lower fuel cost. Also, feeding the additional 30 people would increase costs.

For just a little more money, the corps could get an additional 30 people by adding a regular/long bus.

What I really wany to know is why 150 people? If 135 people fit on three busses, why not fill four busses allowing 175 or so performers per group for around the same price as 150 performers.

Wih the massive budgets, DCI should design and implement rules that maximize performer participation, minimize expenses and produce a product fans will buy. Considering price per performer, maximizing bus capacity makes the most sense.

Who was more responsible for Cadets '05-'06: Hopkins or Sylvester?

From what I've read, Cadets '05 & '06 shows were mostly the brain-child of Marc Sylvester. He is the one who came up with the concept (I believe). Why do you ask? Looking for someone to blame/praise?