music that should be retired

Does anyone think there are certain pieces of music that maybe should be retired from dci?

It can be for any reason such as 1>a show being so well done that noone should try to do it again,or 2>a piece of music has been played so much it's over done.

I have one of each personally.

"Phantom of the Opera" should never be done again(though who doesn't love that music).But IMHO,no one could ever top SCV's 1989 performance.

And for the love of music,please retire "Blue Shades".How many corps are doing it this year? SCV did it in '99.Enough already!

Just my opinion.Anyone else have any?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three words....the most overdone work in all the marching arts...

West Side Story...

2 words fire bird.....interesting note, cavaliers did fire bird with adam sage and michael james in 1997, and 10 years later, phantom does firebird in 2007,.. with adam and michael as well.

lets hope they both dont get seventh place :huh:

Cadets...Anything Biernstien (sp? ya i know that's wrong but he couldn't swing)

Madison... Malaguena

BD...too many to list.

Cavies... none

Scv...none that come to mind

Phantom.....i am sure there are some but i don't know

2 words fire bird.....interesting note, cavaliers did fire bird with adam sage and michael james in 1997, and 10 years later, phantom does firebird in 2007,.. with adam and michael as well.

lets hope they both dont get seventh place :huh:

Wasn't 97 Cavaliers a redeux of 87 Cavaliers?

Three words....the most overdone work in all the marching arts...

West Side Story...

"Marching arts" maybe, but other than 84 and 94 Cadets (94 being a tribute to a great show, that almost won again) and Kiwanis Kavaliers that same year (94), I cannot recall WSS being used in the drum corps idiom in the last 23 years. Please correct me if I am wrong. As far as being over performed by marching bands, I agree, but that is for the marching band planet forum.

Crossmen should NEVER EVER EVER be allowed to play Birdland or any variation or motif of it ever again.

Firebird should be banned from all competitive marching arenas period with a strong caution to avoid anything by Stravinsky. (admit it...nobody really likes that stuff....really) No not even you "Mr. I'm going to reply saying I love to listen to it even though I really know I loathe it but I want to make a point" :)

Pirates of the Caribbean shouldn't be allowed by any HS marching band period. 2004 was the worst year of marching band ever

1000 Airplanes on the Roof - I've never actually heard this piece of music but alot of lower tiered corps have played this tune over the past few years and I can honestly say....I don't know the melody, therefore it must not be an effective work. Also, I understand the Boeing is based in the Pacific NW, but is it necessary that EVERY corps from the PAC NW has played this?

Boston....enough with the Conquest hits already....JUST PLAY CONQUEST!!! We all want to hear it.

Pirates of the Caribbean shouldn't be allowed by any HS marching band period. 2004 was the worst year of marching band ever

Haha...agreed! I remember that year and having 3 bands doing that show at one competition :huh:

I love to listen to it even though I really know I loathe it but I want to make a point. :P

Everyone wants to stick with the rising star. I think if the 'Coats or Crown were playing and beating up on others with Firebird or Pirates of the Caribbean, the tide of support would flow in their direction.

But, they're not. They're both playing amazingly well designed shows that are being performed at a high level. Think about it - when was the last year that someone other than BD, Cadets, or Cavaliers won high Brass at at a regional? Though I think design might have a little to do with the scores, the kids have to get out there and play. (Guess what - they're doing it too...)

Anywho, this 6th place finish by my phormer corps is not going to make me cut up my homer/honk/honker card.

But most people already know that.