Bootleg Shows, Do you aprove?

Along those same lines, it may not be legal for DCI to say that you can't record the broadcast stream.

The television broadcast companies claimed that they had the right to protect their copyrighted material by saying that it could not

be recorded by a VCR or other means. Yet there was a legal ruling that this was not the case.

That's a pretty good analogy except the network television stations are accessible to anyone with a TV and pair of rabbit ears for free. This is not the case with the DCI webcasts.

DCI makes their streams available for a fee at their own discretion and we get to view it at their pleasure. They don't have to provide it for any public consumption beyond the show site but they do.. it's a service they provide and therefore they get to make the rules about who gets to use/access it and how.

Stef

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who approves?

It only matters if DCI approves

I’ve wrestled with this issue long ago so you get the short, free version – I read a massive industry analysis on the recording industry years back, we paid a ton of money to a top 6 consultant company for the report

Basically, you should give it away and promote good will

Movie studios were terrified when the VHS came about, tried to stop it block it and kill it. Guess what, it became a major new revenue stream for them, a movie that tanked at the box office would make bank being released to the at home market

Free content can promote good will and more sales especially in a limited niche market – many companies are stopping their file protection on mp3 now that they are seeing how the model really works (look it up, big news a few weeks /months back even though it was recommend years back)

Personally, as an artist that had stuff to sell – I wanted it in as many peoples’ hand as possible – most bands (no, not the super huge big bands but most bands) make their money on touring and t-shirt sales, the cut they get from a record is small and to even get a cut you have to clear your first loan that you get when you sign a contract, usually takes about $3,000,000 gross to cover all the costs or recording, production, touring and extras with a major label, most bands never make that back – indie bands do it cheaper and get a higher cut from their labels – search ‘Steve Albini recording industry’ for a bit he did on this about 6-10 years ago – I know all to well with what he speaks

And personally again – I never owned a DCI DVD or video until they had their big sale, I had never seen the shows since they left the field or when they were shown on PBS (no cable TV for me) – I tried to watch some on line, got hooked and bought them all. Doubt I would have done that otherwise – youtube was like that smack dealer giving me a few, free tastes

So the smart money says DCI shouldn’t care and it matters little if I care

That's a pretty good analogy except the network television stations are accessible to anyone with a TV and pair of rabbit ears for free. This is not the case with the DCI webcasts.

DCI makes their streams available for a fee at their own discretion and we get to view it at their pleasure. They don't have to provide it for any public consumption beyond the show site but they do.. it's a service they provide and therefore they get to make the rules about who gets to use/access it and how.

The time-shifting ruling is not limited to free broadcasts. The same applies for pay-per-view.

Also, DCI may make all the rules they want. But if they make a rule that they don't have a legal right to make, they can't legally enforce it.

we are soooo close to agreeing..

That's it.

Put up yer dukes.. let's settle this the old fashioned way...

:)

If it weren't for bootlegged media over 20 of my now DCI merchandise buying friends wouldn't have been making those purchaes

Plus, seeing the media only motivated me to buy things like dvds and cds

I don't post very much here but I thought I'd add my thoughts to the mix.

People will bootleg stuff for as long as there is a demand for the bootleg material. Bottom line is, the source material wants to spread because people want to listen to it, and people want to share it with others. If DCI produced copyrighted material that people didn't want to listen to, they wouldn't have any issues with bootlegging.

That being said, DCI is losing real dollars when one of the primary avenues through which their material spreads is digital piracy. What they should be doing to mitigate it is giving people what they want, at a cost that the consumer is willing to pay. For example, I like that it's only $3 to get an APD -- this gives me a economically feasible, morally superior alternative to asking "a guy I know" for a copy. Much like how I could get the latest 50 Cent album illegally from the internet, but since I only want one or two songs I can easily just get them from iTunes. Or, I can watch a low-quality version of the music video on demand at Yahoo Music Videos.

My point with all of this is, it is better for DCI when there are low-cost alternatives to bootlegging that DCI has control over and makes some kind of money from.

$80 for a finals dvd, and $40 for div 2-3 is an absurd price to pay for any kind of media. Why not stream the shows for free, but have them be supported by ads? I know a ton of people who got hooked on the TV show "Heroes" because they stream episodes for free on their website. Completely legal, and arguably more accessible than bootleg versions on bittorrent. And to top that off, these are the probably same people who are going to buy the box set when it comes out because of the higher quality and the extra features.

please do

:doh:

The time-shifting ruling is not limited to free broadcasts. The same applies for pay-per-view.

Also, DCI may make all the rules they want. But if they make a rule that they don't have a legal right to make, they can't legally enforce it.

If $90 gets you the webcasts for the entire summer, isn't that pretty similar to paying extra for a league pass on sat TV?

I guess I have to burn all the tapes I made from the stands in the 70s now.....and the tapes I've made off other people's records and the tapes other people have made from my records......

:music::doh::doh::doh:

Just make sure you buy carbon-offsets to make up for the heat and pollutants added to the environment when you burn plastics. :P