How are the Blue Devils winning?

You don't have to accept anything.....however, this is a democracy, and none of us have the right to tell ANYONE how to feel about ANY corps....all have a right to their opinion...

GB

Actually... we do. You just have the right not to listen. :P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they (the judges) are rewarding the kids more than the designers right now.... which makes sense, because the performers should be rewarded more. BD is performing their show better than The Cavaliers are right now. Better than any corps right now. I, and everyone I know in the drum corps world, including some past BD members and current BD fans, feel this year's BD show is one of the most boring. You pay to see 11 minutes of a spectacular show but you only get about half, compared to the others in the top four. That doesn't mean that aren't a good drum corps.

I don't know how you can blame boring design on performance excellence. They're so GOOD that they just SEEM boring? I don't understand that one at all. Yes, they are winning the effect scores every now and then. You can score high in effect with a boring show. Performance quality does impact the effect of your show. Its not all about crowd reaction... and no other corps are performing at the same quality for the full 11 minutes that Blue Devils are...YET.

...and stop with the "Finally, a REAL drum corps show!" crap. What the hell is a "Real drum corps show" anyways? Whats a fake one? If thats what drum corps should be, then no one should even be close to the BD. Every other corps is doing something completely different (more generally entertaining) than them.

Besides, the corps are so close right now I look at it this way: the top 4 corps are tied for 1st right now until finals week.

I am not happy with the current trend of creating fake tags to make a corps look bad. Its starting to become difficult to distinguishing between crazy fans/alums and the fake accounts that claim to be.

As long as any Joe Schmoe can sign up for a DCP account, you're going to see this continue to happen, alas.

Just face it peeps... BD is good! They sell the show. Everyone else is doing a great job but BD's just ahead of the ball game.

Ladies and Gentlemen, they won SA for the first time since 2001. Yet this is the most boring show out of every corps this year... How are they scoring so high right now? and how are Cadets, for that matter?

They do not sound any better than the Cavaliers this year, and everyone i've talked to agrees that the Cavaliers music should be placing first. No other corps has better balance and intonation that the Cavaliers.

Why is DCI rewarding the Blue Devils since it is their 50th year anniversary? That's what it seems to me anyways. What are your thoughts?

Well, this sounds like sour grapes to me. But since you asked the question, here is my answer:

1. The Blue Devils win because they are great performers and their show rocks. Yes, perhaps the last 4 minutes is not as super charged as they would like, but the first 5 or so minutes of this show are just flat out amazing. Love them, and their brass is every bit as good as Cavaliers. Please don't buy into all this non-sense about how wonderfully balanced and in tune someone's brass is compared to someone else. Not every corps should balance the same way or achieve the same sounds and blends, etc. Different styles of music require a more complex approach to musical shaping, blending, line-interplay, balance, and more. The one-size-fits-all approach, often called the Pyramid system, where we always have the brass balance from bottom to top is a bunch of high school stereotyped non-sense.

The really great orchestras and jazz ensembles all have unique perspectives on balance, and often times balance comes from the top, the middle, as well as the bottom. Sometimes it's a matter of having a tad more bass trombone than tuba, yet allowing the trumpets to soar, with french horns staying under the low brass until just the right moment and then letting loose as the trumpets back off and tuba cuts out while trombones go into chordal mode at a MF level. Balance must accompany the music and its needs, not be a general method that knows NO style or artistic vision. Its job is to adjust and morph, not stay sterile and stagnate.

I get tired of hearing how the Blue Devils don't balance as well. I have news for you, they balance better and more appropriately, given their choice of literature and style, than most in the activity--maybe better than all of them.

2. Concerning the Cadets, I have often found that the Cadets play better than most as well. They are masters at adjusting style, articulation, balance and blend according to what the music is calling for and they do not sell a one-size-fits-all generic brand of sound to the audience--thank GOD. And I really enjoy their high end. Yes, sometimes forced, but I like the fact that for the field I think there are times the highs have to sparkle. This notion that it should always be low brass dominated is just too high-schoolish for me, and drum corps don't always need to sound like Wind Ensembles and Orchestras, and frankly those types of groups offer better colour and diversity in terms of balance and blend.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

This notion that it should always be low brass dominated is just too high-schoolish for me, and drum corps don't always need to sound like Wind Ensembles and Orchestras, and frankly those types of groups offer better colour and diversity in terms of balance and blend.

Exactly. I don't show up at a drum corps show to hear an intricate tone poem played at pp. :P

I have been an on/off BD fan for the last few years, but this year.... I am all for them! I cant get enought of them this year.

Any field performer will tell you that there is alot more going on on the field then meets the eye. The typical audience member whos son/daughter is marching may have a general opinion of "wow... that moved me more, that must be better" but the fact is there is so much more to a winning corps then that. YOU may think there show is boring just because it didnt exhilirate you, but last time I checked... there wasn't and exhileration score on any recaps.

Trust the judges... there is alot to be said for the on average 80 years of experience that the combined panel has. Sure, human beings are biast...thats a natural tendancy, you cant escape it; but for BD to be ontop for the last what.... 8 shows. They certainly must be doing something right!

Personally... I only saw this season and thats all I needed to see.

Good luck to all corps this season.

BD is winning because nobody really has a show theme that bests them at this point.

Wha?! BD's theme is about 6th on my list:

1. Cadets (even though I dislike the show, I think they have the best overall package)

2. Bluecoats (honk)

3. Crown

4. Phantom (tie)

4. SCV (tie)

6. Blue Devils

7. Blue Knights

8. Cavaliers

I'm not familiar enough with any of the rest of the shows to have an opinion.

Keep in mind this list is based on theme only - not execution.

My opinion may change after more viewings though.

Edited by bartyount

Think of it as this: would you rather a 8 oz. filet mignon from a fancy restaurant, or a 40-lb rump roast from Sam's Club?

Personally, I would take the rump roast. You get more for your money and the money you pay for the 8oz probably isn't

worth it anyway. Sure the filet is better, but the rump roast is good too. :)

I think Cadets music effect scores should be pretty high. If people who hate narration can listen to the show and still think,, "wow, those kids can play." Something must be going good with the music.