1964 W. O. and Various Shows

whoa.........waaaaaay cool stuff..........to think.........

My pleasure.....Oh, no you didn't. lol

Did you read the comment at the bottom of the article by Frank D.?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to St. Joes that year?

They went from 6th at the VFWs to 14th at the World Open...

They beat Sac by over a point at VFWs, yet lost to them by 7+ a few days later

They beat Garfield handily at VFW, but lost to them by over 4 points at WO

What happened?

"What Happened":

Different sets of judges and rules. We were as suprised with "Joe's" being left out of the WO Finals as everyone else. The memories from Nanci's old articles are great. It reminds us of a time when there was still some EXCITEMENT in the junior drum corps activity. Things weren't "Perfect" (As the DCI worshipers would have you believe of the present day) but it was unpredictable.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!! :laugh:

Elphaba

"What Happened":

Different sets of judges and rules. We were as suprised with "Joe's" being left out of the WO Finals as everyone else.

The St. Joes placements just seem to be an aberration...

(6th at Nats, 6th at the World's Fair vs not even making finals at WO)

The day before the WO Prelims (at the World's Fair), St. Joes beat the likes of

St. Lucie's and Garfield - who they also beat at VFWs by about the same margin

a couple weeks earlier - only to lose to both of them by 4+ points the very

next day!?

It just seems.. out of kilter...

Does anyone know what happened to affect their placement that much in 24 hours?

The St. Joes placements just seem to be an aberration...

(6th at Nats, 6th at the World's Fair vs not even making finals at WO)

The day before the WO Prelims (at the World's Fair), St. Joes beat the likes of

St. Lucie's and Garfield - who they also beat at VFWs by about the same margin

a couple weeks earlier - only to lose to both of them by 4+ points the very

next day!?

It just seems.. out of kilter...

Does anyone know what happened to affect their placement that much in 24 hours?

Different day ... different set of judges ... different sheets for each show ... Tony Scheltka's 'favorites' ... Ray Samora's 'favorites' ... afternoon 'short' shows vs. evening 'full' shows ... it was a wild and wooly set of championship shows ... I seem to remember having to change quite a few things from the VFW to WO ... I honestly don't remember St. Joe's being a factor in the WO prelims ... not even sure when they went on ... I remember Garfield adding some 'floater' squads at the WO ... they wouldn't have even made finals at the VFW if not for an error in their M&M tabulation ... Kilties got a rude awakening in Bridgeport after their victory in Cleveland ... LOL ... Chicago was simply stunning at the WO finals ... I can still hear the strains of 'Somewhere' ... BS was no slouch either as they outpointed St. Kevin's, Royal Airs and Boston ... I actually thought Boston should have been 3rd ... St. Lucy's really took it on the chin at both VFW and WO finals ... Vasella's finest hour at the VFW prelims ... never found out why they skipped the WO ... those three years 64-65-66 created some of the best national competitions for the 60's ... despite all the inconsistencies, it really was a great time in Junior drum corps ... 'any given day' pervailed and corps beat each other back-and-forth at will ... many juniors 'made their bones' throughout that 64 season ... it was the first showing of vulnerability from the top rung corps ... I can only imagine how topsy turvy things would have been if the Queensmen, Loretto, Cambridge, St. Vinnie's and others that bowed out in 62-63 had still been around for 64 ... YEOW!!!!

Andy "how'd they beat them???" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

all these junior write ups appeal to me only in a limited way . i was with an obscure junior corps that placed 28th in the prelims.....it didn't matter ! all that junior stuff seems a blurr to me now. what i did see was the finals, and they made a lasting impression on me . of course chicago and sac where impressive ,as well as the troopers, but i was most taken by the skyliners , wink.. pepe...et all ....but i was completely blown away by the hurricanes ! although i'd seen them in parades , this was the first time i'd seen them on the field!!!! the black, green, and lime green sequin uni's were georgous.....the music was clean , crisp and exciting , and that guy in front (genero) was such a fierce competiter......i was sold !!

a little over a year later , i was a hurc myself.... at age 15 !..... forty three years later i'm still a huge skyliner fan, and i consider myself a hurricane for life. 1964 was clearly a defining point in my life ! i still follow my corps daily , and stay in touch with many of my old " hated " enemy's. although times are different ( but yet the same !! ) i can only hope that today's warriors feel the same passion we had and will perpetuate the intensity and spirit of those who who have preceded them.

thanks nancy ....keep the memories comming!....1964 ...it was a very good year!!!!

ps... andy " i'm from black rock " lisko.....is this the show that you fell in lovwe with the the skyliners ? fish

ps... andy " i'm from black rock " lisko.....is this the show that you fell in lovwe with the the skyliners ? fish

Nope ... first saw them do an exhibition in 60 at the Buc's show in Hedges Stadium where they were simply incredible ... Winky became my instant hero ... I think the show that totally stunned me though was Sky at the 63 Carnegie Hall ... when they unveiled Miserlou, I knew exactly who I would be marching with when my Junior career was over ... like you with the Hurcs, I am a Lifetime Member of the Skyliners ... can't quit ... can't get thrown out ...

Andy "I actually grew up in the North End" Lisko

Different day ... different set of judges ... different sheets for each show ... Tony Scheltka's 'favories' ... Ray Samora's 'favorites' ... afternoon 'short' shows vs. evening 'full' shows ... it was a wild and wooly set of championship shows ... I seem to remember having to change quite a few things from the VFW to WO ... I honestly don't remember St. Joe's being a factor in the WO prelims ... not even sure when they went on ... I remember Garfield adding some 'floater' squads at the WO ... they wouldn't have even made finals at the VFW if not for an error in their M&M tabulation ... Kilties got a rude awakening in Bridgeport after their victory in Cleveland ... LOL ... Chicago was simply stunning at the WO finals ... I can still hear the strains of 'Somewhere' ... BS was no slouch either as they outpointed St. Kevin's, Royal Airs and Boston ... I actually thought Boston should have been 3rd ... St. Lucy's really took it on the chin at both VFW and WO finals ... Vasella's finest hour at the VFW prelims ... never found out why they skipped the WO ... those three years 64-65-66 created some of the best national competitions for the 60's ... despite all the inconsistencies, it really was a great time in Junior drum corps ... 'any given day' pervailed and corps beat each other back-and-forth at will ... many juniors 'made their bones' throughout that 64 season ... it was the first showing of vulnerability from the top rung corps ... I can only imagine how topsy turvy things would have been if the Queensmen, Loretto, Cambridge, St. Vinnie's and others that bowed out in 62-63 had still been around for 64 ... YEOW!!!!

Andy "how's they beat them???" Lisko

"Different Day, Different Judges":

This is actually a GREAT explanation of "How it was back then". Take a bow Mr "How's they beat them" Lisko. b**bs Boards such as this one need MORE imput from old timers such as Andy who WERE THERE and can speak with some authority on the subject.

I remember the the 64 WO Finals very well. I thought St Kevins had won the night show, in what had to be the greatest "Comeback Season" in junior drum corps. :laugh: They did, in fact take top drums.

Another "Legend" of that evening was the pre show exibition given by the Casper Troopers. Having been on the road for what must heve felt like "Forever", (They actually are the originally "Touring Corps") and not making the night show (They were nosed out by the hometown Bridgeport PAL Cadets) Ray Samora invited them to open the junior Finals with an exibition. Their marching show stunned the audience.

A year later they were World Open champs.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

....heh.....Andy said....."Schelcta"......LOLOLOL

Me

Different day ... different set of judges ... different sheets for each show ... Tony Scheltka's 'favories' ...

Andy "how's they beat them???" Lisko