Pittsburg, KS Review

I called Coats for the Championship at the beginning of the year and I am still standing by that!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the review was well thought out. Thanks for posting it.

I marched in a corps that always went on first and its insulting.

Let's be brutally honest. At a number of shows, the first corps on are simply not that good. I know I don't always want to watch every corps.

well i'd rather watch cadets drumline play 4 on a hand and bd blow space cords than see the product you have been working on all summer. like i said before "FANS" disgust me.

So do self-riteous kids who think simply because they run around on a football field that everybody should be forced to watch them perform, regardless of the quality of performance.

I can understand the desire to perform for as many people as possible. The desire is misplaced. The desire should be that you strive to achieve performance levels that make people want to see you.....not avoid you.

then dont bother writing the review

And you, in turn, shouldn't read the review....don't read any of them...I'm sure each review on here will carry some variation of a theme that ####es you off

Edited by JMS0527

I marched in a corps that always went on first and its insulting.

well i'd rather watch cadets drumline play 4 on a hand and bd blow space cords than see the product you have been working on all summer. like i said before "FANS" disgust me.

So I showed up in Pittsburg last night, and it was the first time I have seen my corps in almost a year. I wanted to watch them get off the bus, stretch and warm up. I aged out. I have the age-out complex. My corps performed last. I got in the stadium just in time to see Madison (whom i really liked and who is really underrated btw). I saw BD and of course my corps.

Because I wanted to watch my old hornline warm up, does that make me a bad fan? No, it makes me a loyal alum. I wish I could have seen both Pioneer's show and Blue warm up. It's nothing against them. I really don't think that makes me a bad fan.

Btw I'm writing a review later about the show from after intermission

Sorry man, but I'm a drummer and I go to DCI shows not only to see great performance on the field, but also in the lot by the drumlines. I realize that means I many times have to miss the first 2 or 3 performances, but its worth it to me to be able to see lines like the Blue Devils, Cavies, Bluecoats, etc. up close and personal.

Again, sorry for writing a partial review, but I see people do it on here all the time, for the same reasons I have given.

Well stated! Watching drum lines has always been a great experience...and missing some early shows comes with the territory. At least you were honest about what you were doing. The Euph person needs some work on grammar.

Here's my limited review. It's from intermission on. I apologize to the other corps that I didn't get to see.

Madison- I mentioned Madison on another thread. I was hanging out with a friend who marched there and wanted to see them warm up. I watched their warmup, and I was a little bit nervous. After reading everything on DCP and seeing the hornline I was very worried about the state of the Scouts. The kids looked extremely young and were the definition of "Greenhorn." I think 4 kids in the hornline had facial hair and 3 looked like they might have been over 6 feet tall. I judged a book by it's cover... my bad.

The show was pretty good. The immaturity of the corps didn't really seem to be a factor. They had some minor issues, here and there, but nothing like what I've been reading about. I think that their score was way under what it should have been. Their opening drill was really cool. My friend, Zach who was attending his first show was definately entertained. I like the show. I liked everything about them. They're on their way up. If those kids stay with Madison and keep marching, DCI will have a very dedicated and seasoned group on their hands here in a few years. most underrated corps of the year.

Blue Devils- They were BD. Loud, exciting, fun to watch... Then they played the second half of their show. The show in it's entirety is executed extremely well and those kids know what they're doing. At this point in the season, Devs are doing the small things right. This is why they're winning. They do not have the best show. If other groups can get these idiosyncrasies down like BD does they will pass them. It's the small things that kept them in front of 'Coats last night.

The opener was really fun to watch. The entire corps moves well, which is one thing I've always respected BD for. The drumline was strong, and so was the hornline. I just felt that after the 5 minute mark the show got a little flat, plateaued, and then just kinda ended. I did really like the drum solo, and how the rest of the corps was integrated into it visually... one of the coolest moments of the year.

Bluecoats- I'm a honk.

They were good. They were great. Best show in DCI. It's the small things that are killing them, mainly in the visual realm.

The whole aspect of the show is very crowd pleasing, and the entire show flows smoothly from beginning to end. There's never really a dull moment. I feel that it was the fan favorite by far. The drums and hornline won, and rightfully so. I think the areas that Blue is struggling are mainly visual. The guard is good, but their also underrated. I feel like they're not getting credit for a lot of the difficult things their doing. (Spinning in handcuffs, Spinning while carrying a briefcase....) i also feel that there are some points in the show where the guard integration couldn't get any better, and some points where you're begging the guard to do some of the same work in a more visually appealing part of the field.

What will it take to win?

The horns and drumline have it figured out as of now.

It will take consistent feet, and for the drill to be worked on, nothing they can't do.

I personally feel the Bluecoats' fate lies in their guard score. If the guard can get box 5 scores, Blue will be set to medal. If they stay around the box 4 area it's going to be hard for the drums and horns to keep them afloat. I feel that some of this will come from hard work in their guard. Some from the judging community giving them more credit.

... Just my 3 cents, and I am a honk

The OP was honest that he wanted to go watch some lot action but still gives his time to review some of the corps in the show, and he gets harrassed for that? What's "disgusting" is peoples' negative reactions. What, are you paying to read these reviews?

I mean, come on, you've got to appreciate the fact that a) there's a free place we can come to read reviews and that b ) people are kind enough to write them. So get off your high horse!

Edited by RickCogley

First off, let me apologize for not reviewing the first 3 corps of the night: Pioneer, Cascades, and Spirit... I was in the lot watching drumlines as late as I could without missing too much of the show, so I only was able to catch the last 3 corps.

Madison Scouts - ...

Thanks for the review FlamInvert. How were the drumlines in the lot?

Cheers,

Rick