Crown's Back Field William Tell Change

Poll  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer Crown play this portion of William Tell, facing the stands or facing away from the stands?

• Facing the stands (old version)
    • Facing away from the stands (current version)

A few weeks ago Carolina Crown changed the William Tell portion of their show so that they face back field for a good portion of it, rendering it almost impossible to hear the hornline play it. My first question is, why did they feel this is necessary? My second question is, what do you think about it? Just something that's been bugging me the past few weeks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago Carolina Crown changed the William Tell portion of their show so that they face back field for a good portion of it, rendering it almost impossible to hear the hornline play it. My first question is, why did they feel this is necessary? My second question is, what do you think about it? Just something that's been bugging me the past few weeks.

The idea is that the honline "follows the race" As the race starts backfield and comes around, the hornline adjusts.

They must be doing someting right. They have never broke 90 in July before..

BTW..I can hear the hornline just fine when they are backfield. It is part of the effect.

The idea is that the honline "follows the race" As the race starts backfield and comes around, the hornline adjusts.

BTW..I can hear the hornline just fine when they are backfield. It is part of the effect.

I agree, I also think it provides some measure of dynamic contrast...a much softer presentation of the main theme.

Another example of sacrificing music to fit the "theme." Don't get me wrong, words cannot describe this show, but...wow.

Another example of sacrificing music to fit the "theme." Don't get me wrong, words cannot describe this show, but...wow.

huh?

The most important part of the of WTO, the fanfare, is played at fff front field. Then the hornline turns around, drawing the audience attention to the CG "horses in the back. Pretty clever it you ask me. The tune progresses..and so does the volume.(think..would you hear the horses gallop as loudly if they were on the far side of the track?? :lookaround: )

It has worked..the corps is performing at a level they have never performed.

Somehow I trust the design team at CC to know whats best.

Edited by tubamann

I thought it was an awesome effect. As someone mentioned earlier, it does draw your attention to the guard in the back half of the field.

Personally, I love that section. It's a favorite moment in the show for me (that and the hornline gating around the gates from the company front).

I haven't seen it since they changed it, and I liked it how it was, but maybe they were having trouble cleaning it up? (it is rather challenging after all)

Imagine that. The visual interpreting the music :lookaround:

Imagine that. The visual interpreting the music :lookaround:

Hey, Ben.

Anybody know the story of William Tell? Escapes me at the moment, but me doubts it's horses.

Thieving birdies come to mind, but that would have been Phantom Regiment this year, hmmm??