Crown's Back Field William Tell Change

Poll  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer Crown play this portion of William Tell, facing the stands or facing away from the stands?

• Facing the stands (old version)
    • Facing away from the stands (current version)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, some posts had to be removed, let's give this another try. back on topic please.

Hey, Ben.

Anybody know the story of William Tell? Escapes me at the moment, but me doubts it's horses.

Thieving birdies come to mind, but that would have been Phantom Regiment this year, hmmm??

I didn't mean literally. I just meant that interpretation is what drill is about...interpreting the feeling evoked by the music whether it's a figurative interpretation or a literal one based on some back story. This was going on way before we had themes. How many times have we seen hornlines turn back field for some kind of effect? I just don't think this is anything to get panties in a bunch over.

Edited by Medeabrass

GREAT!!!! I saw the show at Giant's stadium and I thought it should have been done that way. Glad they changed it. Now I can't wait to see it.

I didn't mean literally. I just meant that interpretation is what drill is about...interpreting the feeling evoked by the music whether it's a figurative interpretation or a literal one based on some back story. This was going on way before we had themes. How many times have we seen hornlines turn back field for some kind of effect? I just don't think this is anything to get panties in a bunch over.

Personal favorite was Cadets 94 with the Officer Krupke thing where the company front turns backfield and marches backwards towards the front stands. Fun. Hated them--never beat them. Great show.

Too bad I missed whatever it was I started here earlier. Oops. Back on-topic.

I honestly don't remember the story of William Tell. I know it was nothing to do with horses--'The Lone Ranger' did that quite well! Works well in Crown's show, too.

I haven't seen it since they changed it, and I liked it how it was, but maybe they were having trouble cleaning it up? (it is rather challenging after all)

i doubt that, they play the fanfare fff facing the front and that is much harder i think than the part they play back field! i think it adds a layer of comedy that is much need for william tell. i think its just right!!

It really is not at all hard to hear the hornline when they're facing backfield as long as you're at an outdoor show. I like it much better the new way.

LOVED the closer in Atlanta. Was absolutely blown away. I actually can't recall if it was to the front or back field but I feel like it was front?

I could see the new way working in terms of effect and staging but musically I'll hold off my opinion until I actually hear and see it.

Cheers, :grouphug:

Sean

w/Stp:

Edited by SeanOwenSullivan

The turn around effect sucks when you are watching a webcast...but when you are there live, it's ok.

I'm hoping the mics will pick it up fine on the DVD

Re: "William Tell" history

Warning, a bit long... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell

William Tell from Bürglen was known as an expert marksman with the crossbow. At the time, the Habsburg emperors were seeking to dominate Uri. Hermann Gessler, the newly appointed Austrian Vogt of Altdorf raised a pole in the village's central square with his hat on top and demanded that all the local townsfolk bow before it. As Tell passed by without bowing, he was arrested. He received the punishment of being forced to shoot an apple off the head of his son, Walter, or else both would be executed.

Tell had been promised freedom if he shot the apple. On November 18, 1307, Tell split the fruit with a single bolt from his crossbow, without mishap. When Gessler queried him about the purpose of the second bolt in his quiver, Tell answered that if he had ended up killing his son in that trial, he would have turned the crossbow on Gessler himself. Gessler became enraged at that comment, and had Tell bound and brought to his ship to be taken to his castle at Küssnacht. In a storm on Lake Lucerne, Tell managed to escape. On land, he went to Küssnacht, and when Gessler arrived, Tell shot him with a crossbow bolt.

This defiance of the Austrian Gessler sparked a rebellion, leading to the formation of the Swiss Confederation.

...and so:

Friedrich Schiller's 1804 eponymous play about the legendary marksman William Tell plays an important part in the modern history of Europe, dealing with the very political question of tyrannicide. William Tell had become a hero of the French revolution in the wake of the 1766 play by Antoine-Marin Lemierre, and as the revolutionary armies overran Switzerland, Tell became the symbol of the short-lived Helvetic Republic. Johann Wolfgang Goethe eventually inspired his friend Schiller to the task. He wrote the play in 1803-04, and it had its debut performance on March 17, 1804, in Weimar. Gioacchino Rossini in turn used Schiller's play as the basis for his 1829 opera William Tell.

Fun fact:

Adolf Hitler was enthusiastic about Schiller's play, quoting it in his Mein Kampf, and approving of a German/Swiss co-production of the play where Göring's mistress appeared as Tell's wife.

...thread has now been Godwined preemptively, so cue 40+ page thread talking about Carolina Crown and Nazis. :P