Crown's Back Field William Tell Change

Poll  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer Crown play this portion of William Tell, facing the stands or facing away from the stands?

• Facing the stands (old version)
    • Facing away from the stands (current version)

Thieving birdies come to mind, but that would have been Phantom Regiment this year, hmmm??

You're thinking of the other Rossini piece, La Gazza Ladra ("The Thieving Magpie").

That would have fit the PR theme pretty well...maybe they can add it to the preshow. :P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an inside source tells me phasing issues caused the change. and no, I didn't make that up ;)

Another example of sacrificing music to fit the "theme." Don't get me wrong, words cannot describe this show, but...wow.

IMO the music is much more effective now with the segment played backfield.

The changes they have put in place during WTO have just cranked the show up another whole notch. It went from "good" to frickin' amazing!!

You're thinking of the other Rossini piece, La Gazza Ladra ("The Thieving Magpie").

That would have fit the PR theme pretty well...maybe they can add it to the preshow. :P

Aha, somebody bit! Thanks for the explanation. ^0^

Re: "William Tell" history

Warning, a bit long... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell

...and so:

Fun fact:

...thread has now been Godwined preemptively, so cue 40+ page thread talking about Carolina Crown and Nazis. :P

Silly Europeans! Great history lesson--thanks! Apples and bows and arrows--now I remember! Horses and guns and masked men on fiery steeds--leave it to the American imagination.

Fun show, Crown! And very good hornline! 2009: 1.) Blooo, 2.) Crown, 3.) Crossmen. Heard it here first!

I haven't seen it the new way, but I can imagine it working very well - it would definitely help draw the attention backfield, which is something I think could help the GE scores...and on another note - I don't think it should hurt the musicality - I usually love backfield sections.

Fun show, Crown! And very good hornline! 2009: 1.) Blooo, 2.) Crown, 3.) Crossmen. Heard it here first!

Now that would be awesome!

IMO the music is much more effective now with the segment played backfield.

The changes they have put in place during WTO have just cranked the show up another whole notch. It went from "good" to frickin' amazing!!

A-men! :grouphug:

I don't and have never liked the horse race sequence in Crown's show. It should begin right up front and center with the horses out of the gate...then the whole horse race bit should just disappear. Disappear the whole guard back into the rest of the corps. Go on with the William Tell...draw our short attention away from the whole horse race thing. Make us ask ourselves the question...where did the horserace go?

It's like a dominant seventh chord that doesn't resolve right away. And then.......

it magically appears out of nowhere on the front stretch and then the slow motion is the frosting on the cake.

I believe it would be much more effective than what they are doing currently. It just takes too freakin long and it's not like anyone hasn't seen a horserace before. We get it already.

Personal favorite was Cadets 94 with the Officer Krupke thing where the company front turns backfield and marches backwards towards the front stands. Fun. Hated them--never beat them. Great show.

Too bad I missed whatever it was I started here earlier. Oops. Back on-topic.

I honestly don't remember the story of William Tell. I know it was nothing to do with horses--'The Lone Ranger' did that quite well! Works well in Crown's show, too.

Bah. I remember how angry I was when Cadets turned backfield to play the "Officer Krupke" section in that show and it lasted like 30 seconds...GRRR....Officer Krupke is one of my favorite songs from WSS and they only played it for a few seconds...oh well....

As far as Carolina Crown's show goes, I think it is fine the way they are doing it now.