Would an Old-Style Show Work Today?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO - if it's good, it's good!

Things usually come full circle so I predict that things will swing back to an "older" style.

WGI seems to be doing this as many guards are now re-focusing on more equipment work and less dance.

I'd love to see SCV bring back the Bottle dance one year - BD sort of went back this year with the wings.

I'd like to see a corps have the gonads to put the guard back in the corps uni with a shako!! (If even for a small part of the show) :grouphug:

I have to disagree, the successful WGI guards are not focusing on less dance, , at least not from what I saw at the many regionals and in Dayton this year. With one judge looking at nothing but movement, it would be suicide to think of downplaying dance in the modern WGI world. And as many of these same judges judge for DCI...

Edited by aanpote

After the Corps Directors get a load of the Kingsmen show on Semi's night and the crowd reaction, I'd be very surprised if someone didn't try to pull something like that out of their ### next year. :lol:

Oh yeah, without the 75 piece snare line, the 342 piece brass line and the 450 strong guard (ok, ok, overemphasized the size a little bit for dramatic effect.) Just wait until you all get a load of the Kingmen at 300 strong on that field!!!

Yeah, that's the concern I had, too. Is it possible to do...let me use an example everyone will probably get...something like "New World"--'old' music--with modern DC individual movement, etc. And like one of you mentioned, just killer guard work. And not just get hammered in the GE area?

Killer guard encorporates dance. To not include it is the same as having no equipment work.

After the Corps Directors get a load of the Kingsmen show on Semi's night and the crowd reaction, I'd be very surprised if someone didn't try to pull something like that out of their ### next year. :beer:

That's the thinking Madison took this year - at least the Board of Directors -the Madison Scout Reunion Project was great (not that the BOD had anything to do with the Reunion Project)- the crowd LOVED it - they were absolutely AWESOME!!! THE BOD wanted to go back to that "old style" Madison - look where they are today - sitting what - 17th? b**bs

That's the thinking Madison took this year - at least the Board of Directors -the Madison Scout Reunion Project was great (not that the BOD had anything to do with the Reunion Project)- the crowd LOVED it - they were absolutely AWESOME!!! THE BOD wanted to go back to that "old style" Madison - look where they are today - sitting what - 17th?

I don't see Madison 2007 in any way a return to the "old style" Madison look -- in fact, I'd say it's a pretty big departure from the norm.