Marching styles

Lol...those devils really cant march can they... :blink:

(not sure if they use straight leg per-se, but it looks pretty close to me.....)

BD style is not the same straight-leg as Cadets... I've heard it called "Glide Step"

Focus is on keeping the heels lows, as opposed to the legs straight... as far as I know that is :blink:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils march glide step not straight leg. :blink:

Honestly, you can get into all the technicalities of it if you want. When it comes down to it, they are extremely similar and pretty close to the same technique. This coming from a guy who's had many professional discussions with people from each camp trying to figure out how best to teach it. A key point that I picked up on is that the main difference is that they are taught with a different emphasis...and that the Blue Devils usually look better (more relaxed) doing it.

A different method of achieving the same (or better :blink: ) look would be a considered a different technique, wouldn't it...

A different method of achieving the same (or better :blink: ) look would be a considered a different technique, wouldn't it...

Yes, of course it's different. What I'm trying to say is that they are about as similar as you can get between two different techniques. BigSnareline said earlier that he doesn't like straight leg. I would assume that when that is said it usually clumps a group of techniques together, BD's being one of them. After that he said he enjoyed BD's technique, as anyone should. :)

What it seems the he really should've said was, "I don't like how The Cadets march". That's all fine and dandy too as it's easy to understand where he's coming from without even asking.

Am I right in assuming the people calling the Devil's technique a glide step are thinking that they are using the same technique as they did in the 80's? Corrections are welcome.

Cavaliers - yes its' bent, alot, that's why it's called the bicycle technique, think about what it looks when you pedal a bike and it's very similar. But remember if they didn't do that they're entire drill design would have to change, you just can't do some of their stuff straight leg, plain and simple.

Cadets - Been covered, i think we all understand that.

Blue Devils - I always think of their technique as straight on the downbeat, but a little more relaxed on the and counts with the knee. (it also looks the best and is the easiest on the marcher IMHO)

Carolina Crown - no one has mentioned it, but it's very similar to BD where the leg is straight on the downbeat, but has some knee in it, but should be not very noticable.

Crossmen- many of you say it's the same as cadets....seeing as how i just came home from spring training with them...i'd have to say it's not as much as focus on straight the entire time like scissors, it just wasn't the focus.

although in all honesty i believe that most corps today use a technique like BD...focusing on straight on the downbeat, without the strain of maintaining straight throughout the entire move. I would venture to say that Phantom, SCV, Coats, and Gmen use this, while boston might be more cadet style....