the next two big innovations

Please try to think of more examples of so I can explain to you why they're not examples of what i'm talking about. I promise you won't find an example of my idea anywhere in drum corps history, ever. Go ahead, try. It won't be there.

Maybe there's a great reason why it's not already there...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for my money, only one or two "experienced design teams" are putting out a product worth watching.

And given that design is 40% or more of the score, maybe the members should have a say.

Also, I'd pit the creativity of 135 teenagers against a handful of 40 and 50 year-olds any day. When you look at designers or arrangers that have been around for over 10 years, has their creativity gone up or down?

Okay... I do see your point.... teens imagination vs. the 40/50yr old kind. I will definatly agree that member's "imput" should be taken into consideration in show design, if it is offered.

However, i stand by my opinion that it would be way too time consuming and way too amature if they were to have total control for competition purposes. Besides, they are there because they have talent in marching, playing, dancing, etc.

Perhaps a small commity of members for the design team to collaborate with would be a better idea.

(just thinking of the "creative egos" of 135 teenagers trying to put a show together.)

Improvised music. Ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise music as a group, spontaneously selecting a key, tempo, theme, mood, whom to feature, when to cut-off, how to adjust the drill on-the-fly to feature whatever section should be visually featured, with the guard coming up with routines to interpret the music with tosses and throws that are perfectly synchronized. Corps props will also morph on cue to change color, shape and design to reflect what is being played.

Another innovation will be yard lines that instantly expand and contract sideways to assist drill forms that need to be set up in specific formations that aren't linear. Shoes will have sympathetic magnetic inserts that respond through tactile sensation to the metallic flakes in the flexible material used to create these yard lines.

Also, the use of mass hypnosis will allow a stadium full of fans to experience the same show no matter what the corps on the field is doing. And when a corps really is sensing what each other is doing improv-wise, the sensation in the fans' cerebral cortex will be akin to the effect of eating Mentos and drinking cola.

With hard work and government funding, we could have the above ready to go by 2010, but only if people believe in it enough. Otherwise, we won't get past the geo-thermal requirements, not to mention the initial investment in magnetic levitation.

and don't forget the optional 3-dimensional HD aspect, complete with the special glasses given to fans before the show!!!(LMAO)

and don't forget the optional 3-dimensional HD aspect, complete with the special glasses given to fans before the show!!!(LMAO)

How could I forget that? Yikes! :doh::doh::doh:

Improvised music. Ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise music as a group, spontaneously selecting a key, tempo, theme, mood, whom to feature, when to cut-off, how to adjust the drill on-the-fly to feature whatever section should be visually featured, with the guard coming up with routines to interpret the music with tosses and throws that are perfectly synchronized. Corps props will also morph on cue to change color, shape and design to reflect what is being played.

Another innovation will be yard lines that instantly expand and contract sideways to assist drill forms that need to be set up in specific formations that aren't linear. Shoes will have sympathetic magnetic inserts that respond through tactile sensation to the metallic flakes in the flexible material used to create these yard lines.

Also, the use of mass hypnosis will allow a stadium full of fans to experience the same show no matter what the corps on the field is doing. And when a corps really is sensing what each other is doing improv-wise, the sensation in the fans' cerebral cortex will be akin to the effect of eating Mentos and drinking cola.

With hard work and government funding, we could have the above ready to go by 2010, but only if people believe in it enough. Otherwise, we won't get past the geo-thermal requirements, not to mention the initial investment in magnetic levitation.

Sure.....now put down the bong.... and go outside for some freah air......That's it.....Goooood!!!!

I think the next innovation, in visual design at least, is drill that literally looks impossible to be able to be performed, almost as a sort of magic trick or illusion (I'm not talking about huge step sizes). Some drill, mainly Cavies', has come close...I think it's time to take the next step.

Already been done! Texas A&M University Aggie Band...The Impossible Drill!!

Care to elaborate, medea???

Okay... I do see your point.... teens imagination vs. the 40/50yr old kind. I will definatly agree that member's "imput" should be taken into consideration in show design, if it is offered.

However, i stand by my opinion that it would be way too time consuming and way too amature if they were to have total control for competition purposes. Besides, they are there because they have talent in marching, playing, dancing, etc.

Perhaps a small commity of members for the design team to collaborate with would be a better idea.

(just thinking of the "creative egos" of 135 teenagers trying to put a show together.)

I think DCI should use the creature in your avatar as an advertising spokesman, a la Blockbuster and the animals in the pet store! At the very least the Cavaliers should!! (not being sick, folks--green color + cute animal = more advertising impact than anything the activity has EVER garnered!!)

Edited by silvertrombone

Here's an idea I'm surprised no one's done it yet, and if they have and I missed it, oh well. Thinking back a couple of years when a number of groups were using ramps I'm surprised no one has built a ramp that goes over the pit so park and blow sections can get up close and personal.

Going along with with the drill that seams impossible that isn't, cavie-ish iluusion, with the use of a number of ramps and enough hallucinagents, you could possibly see drill resembling something by Escher.

Just my thoughts.

Forget the nay-sayers! I think it is brilliant. Not all the drill has to be improvised, but parts. It is possible to do it cleanly. I have seen dance groups who did improvisations, and when they got really good at it, some spectacular things happened that you would have swore was fully choreographed.

I think many people associate the idea of improvisation with loss of communication, when in fact it is the opposite...it raises it.

As for the multi-tempos being marched and played by individuals, .... it's possible, seen it in Brazil with percussion groups.

It has been done within different sections of the corps, but I don't think within one person on the field.

Kudos on the forward thinking!

My future development is that the corps will start figuring out ways to use more levels on the field, building human pyramids, scaffolds, stilts? Just brainstorming.....