Div I/II/III Publicity Levels

Didn't want to hijack another thread..........

A point was brought up about Div II/III audience size and amout of publicity given to the three divisions by DCI. Being a All Age/Alumni based person I'll just ask the question and watch the results.

Question: Do you think DCI is spreading the publicity effort correctly between the three Divisions or should it be changed? And if you think it should be changed, what should be desired results?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Do you think DCI is spreading the publicity effort correctly between the three Divisions or should it be changed? And if you think it should be changed, what should be desired results?

DCI is absolutely NOT spreading the publicity correctly between the three divisions. They barely acknowledge the existence of div. II/III as it is! It should definately be changed, with the desired result being WAY more young people wanting to march div. II/III as an alternative to the schedule/demand of div. I.

DCI's division 1 is what will bring in the most money and recognition. Of course they're going to give more publicity to this division, especially now because they want to continue growth. Is it fair to Div II and III? Probably not, but those kids should understand the context.

*Sigh* Just realized this should have had two parts to it.... Let's help I can add to the original without confusing the snot outta everyone.

Do you think DCIs current method of publicity geared more to the "here and now" or the long term growth and/or survival of the Junior activity?

And of course... Why?

(Trying to compare this to the changes in the DCA/Alumni world)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

*Sigh* Just realized this should have had two parts to it.... Let's help I can add to the original without confusing the snot outta everyone.

Do you think DCIs current method of publicity geared more to the "here and now" or the long term growth and/or survival of the Junior activity?

And of course... Why?

(Trying to compare this to the changes in the DCA/Alumni world)

I feel it's geared toward the future. They want to continue to grow and gain more notority. DCI feels that the top corps in Div I is the vehicle to get them there and I agree.

DCI does not give II/III much of any real attention. In 2005, excited about finals week only to find out that finals are in a high school stadium.

DCI can't seem to understand that alot of people who don't make a division I corps don't march ANYWHERE. Why would you? Go march Div II/III? Yeah, ok, there not a real drum corps.

A person from my band auditioned for a Top Div I and missed the cut. I informed her about a spot at my corps and she responded, "If I'm going to march a drum corps, I want to march a real one".

It's not DCI's fault really.... Division I bring in more money. I'm done ranting.

Okay then... this is a little OT, but this thread is all about the idea of joining the two together in order to share the wealth so to speak. I enjoyed it, you might as well.

Division II & III Together?

Div II & III are the red-headed step-children of DCI.

Not a good analogy, because most families with a red-headed step-child don't kill that red-headed step-child slowly and methodically over a period of several years, all the while trying to tell that red-headed step-child that they are "part of our family".

A person from my band auditioned for a Top Div I and missed the cut. I informed her about a spot at my corps and she responded, "If I'm going to march a drum corps, I want to march a real one".

And therein lies DCI's problem. I understand the need to put the top Div I corps out front for recognition and such, but when Div II/III corps are branded as "not real corps" then you've got a major problem. I know a ton of people that marched Div II/III (and worked just as hard) and went on to march top Div I corps. THAT's the message that needs to be out there.

Edited by MagicBobert