Div I/II/III Publicity Levels

My question wasn't about this year specifically, it was about why the II/III directors wanted to change from the format that was used from 99-02. The Rose Bowl was just a pipe dream back then.

I asked Dan Acheson at a FDCI breakfast about this issue and he confirmed that it was a D II/III directors decision. I agree, it doesn't make much sense but her are a couple reasons:

Put a D III corps in the Rose Bowl and I'm guessing their sound barely makes it to the sideline. The same is presumably true of most Finals venues.

They may have felt it's better to perform in a full HS stadium than a relatively empty professional venue. I know I performed in Grant Field on an early prelims day in '84. It was kinda depressing because there seemed to be maybe 100 people there in this cavernous venue. So performing where the big boys do has a downside.

Plus, there's extra rent to be paid.

But while there are reasons why it makes sense to move the smaller corps out of the big venue, one of the negative effects has been to widen the gap between D I and II/III. They could have bridged that somewhat by enabling the top D II/III corps in Quarterfinals, like the Good Old Days.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On what do you base that opinion?

Div II/III corps have a set of sheets and scoring criteria geared towards meeting their own needs. To all of a sudden place them on a completely different set of sheets and score ranges does not help them in terms of the season-long view of improvements and changes they make to their shows.

I don't think that the current format is as good as the previous one.

Yes, but the people most impacted....the II/III corps admins....think otherwise. I'll go with whatever they decide, as they are the ones who matter most.

• 2 weeks later...
Venues for II/III are poorly advertised and often poorly attended. These corps provide the oportunity to many kids to get their first taste of drum corps and allow the opportunity for those to march who cannot make the financial or time commitment. The work ethic requirements for Div II/III is no different from Div I, while individual exposure is much greater.

The closest corps for us is at least 450 miles away. We checked out fees for the closest Div I corps vs. the closest Div II/III corps. The difference in fees was only $100! Current corps had camps/rehearsals every month Jan-season starts and gone all summer (sounds like a lot of time committment to me!) Div II/III parents/members also make serious (for us) financial committments and sacrifices. We could not afford corps in 2006. This year my son ended up choosing the corps he marched previously due to the comraderie, the friendships, the atmosphere and the committment to excellence (Memphis Sound!) and we're both more than satisfied with the decision he made!

GO MEMPHO!!!!!!!!!

people should think twice before they use broad terms to describe all the Div II/III corps.

Amen.

Edited by lara87