Son's first BD experience (not all that we had hoped)

Same thing happened to me when I went to see BD in 1996! It was great of you to take time out to travel with your kid to see the corps.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my oldest son to his first drum corps experience when he was 2 weeks old!! (Not that he remembers!!) It was actually a clinic that BD was giving in the afternoon before the show. He is aging out this year after marching 5 summers!!!

Edited by CowboyKen

Thanks for the cool replies. I was worried after I posted that the subject line would indicate that this was a gripe with the corps. Obviously that was not the intention.

As for going to the Stanford show, don't think I haven't considered it. However, as indicated, I will be heading to finals next week and after I paid for premium "Super-3" tickets last year, it was hard to justify adding another premiumtype show, just 5 days before the big event.

Finals will be a trip for dad this year, but father/son will make a "local" show next year. Even if it's July in Stockton (only 3.5 hours one way).

BTW - Bradrick - From your signature, I see the 1987 Skyriders. On a personal note, that was the first show I ever saw (from the PBS broadcast) and must say it's among the shows I still use to initiate drum corps virgins. It was the first Legacy Collection DVD I bought.

Edited by Dansize

Took my oldest son to his first drum corps experience when he was 2 weeks old!! (Not that he remembers!!) It was actually a clinic that BD was giving in the afternoon before the show. He is aging out this year after marching 5 summers!!!

What year and where? I was probably there too! Been brainwashing my kidlets as long as they have let me.

Edited by cccmommy

My daughter's first drum corps experience was Championships in 1991. She had not quite made her way out of the womb yet though :P MY wife swares that she loved Madison and BD that year though.

Her first live show was in Dallas, TX in 1996, at the ripe old age of 4. She saw Phantom live for the first time, and she fell in love with them. She stood up and screamed SUTA at the perfect moment completely on her own. There were several staff members sitting right next to us watching the show, and one of them gave her a high 5 (she thought that was cool). She had a blast. We brought her to Championships that year, and every year since. She started marching last summer with the Blue Stars at the age of 14.

My daughter's first drum corps experience was Championships in 1991. She had not quite made her way out of the womb yet though :P MY wife swares that she loved Madison and BD that year though.

Her first live show was in Dallas, TX in 1996, at the ripe old age of 4. She saw Phantom live for the first time, and she fell in love with them. She stood up and screamed SUTA at the perfect moment completely on her own. There were several staff members sitting right next to us watching the show, and one of them gave her a high 5 (she thought that was cool). She had a blast. We brought her to Championships that year, and every year since. She started marching last summer with the Blue Stars at the age of 14.

Love it, love it, love it!!!! :whistle:

Something to consider - The Birth of a Dream.

Today my son is traveling to Northern California and is actively preparing for the DCI finals week. I know, since I have not heard from him in over two weeks, that this is the most life changing summer so far in his (19) young years and for me a time of remarkable reflection. His mother also shares the same melancholy. You see I’m working like most parents are and remembering a life of passion, commitment and courage, whether in my work, life or pursuits. Three ideals or goals I have tried to live up to in my life. You see I inherited these “traits” from my parents but also from those who have influenced my own life in becoming an adult. To borrow a phrase that some may know “Our Men, are Proud, Our skills are Sharp”. It takes many influential people investing their own lives to sharpen you it also takes personal commitment, courage and of course passion to make yourself proud in a good way. Quietly proud that you have met your goals, you have delivered your energy resources in an honorable way in those pursuits and now carry yourself with pride in what you committed yourself to do in the first place you attained.

As my Son is traveling and preparing, his mother and I are so Proud of Him and I know his skills have been sharpened this summer in preparation for the homestretch at DCI finals in Pasadena and most importantly for a life time of Excellence.

Why is this important to me today? Well I would have to take you back to the day I remember my personal goals in life became his and how that took place. You see it was at the Rose Bowl August 11, 2004 and the Tour of Champions from the DCI Denver finals was coming to Pasadena and performing and he and I ditched school and work so that he could soak up all that the Drum Corps community and activity could dish out. Boy did it! It started with getting “caught” smack dab in the middle of a Phantom Regiment warm-up arc to later having our facing blown off with Space Chords and B-flat/F tuning. WOW!

With my son in tow I was in heaven but actually I never realized the impacts this day was having upon my son. Until later after I had watched his intensity and excitement build and also when I noticed his focused gaze upon key areas of the Rose Bowl field did I realize that I was actually experiencing an unbelievable transformation. If I have my dates correct he was just (16) by less than two month’s. I could share about the great influences of all his teachers and band directors but they already know this. They have been in his shoes and are there today. Also, this subject is about us - either as a parent or one of you in the line, in the pit, or in the guard. This really is written to support “you” especially those young men and women who may not have had a parent at parent’s day or on the tour or even have seen or experienced their kids performances this year or previous years, or to support you as a parent if you also share these same goals. Quietly I have experienced your personal groans or disappointments when you performed and no one of your immediate family ever said to you - Well Done! I have heard you at the lunches, breaks and when you have came from the field just wanting to hear this directly from your own parents or friends.

This past week I purchased a new CD because well I was missing something personal and deep in my own life. Something I used to share only with a few. Something my own son today has experienced with many others traveling this past summer and also the summer before. I was missing the “big, brash and bold sounds” of GREAT MUSIC. Music that stirs all the emotions so deep and so warmly that it is in fact may I say - sacred. The Wynton Marsalis CD I purchased was Classic in it’s genre. Music I had performed when I was much younger and music that forever left an indelible impact upon me. I’m not just referencing the “tunes” or performance pieces; I’m referring too the moment, the experience the execution that moment of excellence.

Today after being to many Drum Corps camps in the last two years and looking forward to three more years I can tell you each Drum Corps performance I have observed wherever I have had the opportunity leaves me with the similar goose bumps and also the emotional moments when I see these young men and women “paint” the fields with not only their high energy but near perfect execution, tempo and cadence and spot on and performance levels as high as any performer in any world renown orchestra. These young men and women deserve all the applause all the praise and much more of what we as individuals should aspire to. You see today, this next week begins the end of their summer tour. “These are the days of our lives” as another young man refers to these moments. This level of “being” for them will be placed on hold, for some as they age out indefinitely, for others who may get the chance for another summer, two or three.

When they come off the field they know internally it is not about them “winning” instead it is about them BEING a winner. Did I do by best performance possible with all my effort and did I leave my best out there on the field? As Wynton says or is quoted as saying and I paraphrase. My “sound” takes time it takes honest inquiry of yourself, “painful at times since you entered this activity because you liked how some one sounded,” in the Drum Corps community we like how the specific Corps sounds or performs. “To do this on ones self, and may I add to perfect your sound “takes courage because it means that you are trying to play in a way no one else has ever played”. “The inner pain comes from dealing with the differences in your sound and the sound that made you aspire to be a musician,” a performer in the first place.

You see as a parent I am proud as I think of my own life “sound”. Mistakes made yes, but today so far accepting my own “sound” and of course tomorrow attempting to rehearse the basics again and “painfully” make changes to be better tomorrow than I was yesterday. Something all our young men and women have done all summer. Changes (in your own the life, in the Line, Corps, Pit, or Guard,) something you have done in some cases without applause or encouragement and in others more than your share. Regardless, it is this pursuit at developing, improving, tuning, rehearsing in ensemble your unique “sound” bending it, blending it, breathing it into a combined sound with the team your with today. Are you leaving your best behind you and pursuing tomorrow’s performance level - “same plus more”? Good luck to each of you during the next week’s pursuit of your own unique “sound”. Your personal pursuit of – Excellence, it began with your Dream!

Cool story, though it makes me feel old... :) My oldest child is 5 now. Haven't been able to take her to a show yet, though I wonder if we may indeed have another musician in the family. I found her standing on the couch the other day, two-hand conducting the soundtrack to Superman Returns. I asked her where she learned it--got the usual "I dunno." (We haven't watched any drum corps in a while, so I'm thinking she must have been watching the behind-the-scenes features of one of her animated movies...)

Hey Dansize!! YOU ROCK AS A FELLOW DAD!!! Thanks for a great example for me. My kids just roll their eyes because I'm such a drum corps/marching band nut. But wow...your story was great.

Good job dad!