Discuss 'n Dissect: Santa Clara Vanguard 1989

I'm a long time, hard corps, fan of SCV so please take the following as completely biased. I was at finals for both 1988 and 1989. SCV should have taken the 1988 show. When it was annnounced that the scouts had won you literally could have heared a pin drop. Nothing agaisnt the scouts here OK.

For me, I prefer SCV 88 over 89. I also think PR should have taken the title in 89.

UPSIDE: Gosh darn it, PR have an awesome show.

DOWNSIDE: Gosh darn it, I don't get to see SCV this year

Hey, not dissin anyone. Just a fan with an opinion.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ WHO GIVES A FLIP!!! Let it stay here until people stop posting on it. If you don't want to see it, then don't post on it anymore.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America and I could ask a simple question. I wasn't aware you owned the board. :music:

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America and I could ask a simple question. I wasn't aware you owned the board. :music:

Wow, awesome comeback. You can ask or say whatever you want and I can disagree with you.

To quote my mom: "Guys! I will turn this car around if you don't behave!"

------------

Now to respond to the OP's question of

Given it's widespread fan and critical (hey, it won, after all) appeal, do you think there's still any lessons to be learned from this show in todays programming?

Without getting into too much detail:

The art of the whole SCV POTO design - from start to finish - is a moment frozen in time of what was cutting edge drum corps at the time. Many of the things that appealed to the many fans from "back in the day" still do. But sadly, they are no longer programmed because they've stopped being rewarded by the "critical" (or judging) side. The artistic brushstroke has morphed into something else. (This should be evident to even the casual observer. I'm sure it's VERY evident to those that hang out on DCP.) I believe, this has happened partially out of a desire to keep up with what is being rewarded by the judges.

One of the lessons that I see is that the SCV Phantom of the Opera show was pay dirt at the time on both sides - being embraced by the drum corps fans AND the judges. If the current design staffs believed a similar show would be rewarded on both sides today, we'd see other shows that resemble 89 SCV...

Edited by bradrick

It's called a sub-par percussion line and a show that was beyond simplistic musically and visually. You had to award the corps that has the hire demand in the event that both execute at the same level, and quite frankly - 1989 Regiment was one of the easiest shows musically and visually. Park and blow, mostly circular drill, mostly 1/2 steps, the only remotely difficult move was repeated twice, and the finale of the opener was the same musically and visually as the closer. Really loved the show musically...the brass was spectacular, and despite the fact that it was easy musically, it was as hard as it could be for the source material chosen.

*Puts on the brakes*

Let's break down the above statement...

It's called a sub-par percussion line

Let's see if this is true.

At quarterfinals this "sub-par" line was 2nd in GE percussion and 2nd in percussion performance.

At semi-finals, they were 2nd in GE percussion and 2nd in percussion performance.

At Finals, while percussion performance slipped to 5th, Regiments GE Percussion was still 2nd overall.

I would say then your statement is at BEST a misinformed opinion.

You had to award the corps that has the hire demand in the event that both execute at the same level, and quite frankly - 1989 Regiment was one of the easiest shows musically and visually.

Hold on a second, I need to go polish the High Brass and High Visual Trophies that Regiment won that evening. You obviously have little experience in judging of any kind. Any judge will tell you that when you are judging an aspect of any show, you balance the difficulty of the show with the accuracy of the show. Drum corps has shown in the past that a show that is "simplistic" will not last through the season to be at the top. If your statement is correct, then how could Regiment compete successfully that year against the shows presented by Santa Clara, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Star of Indiana, etc?

Park and blow, mostly circular drill, mostly 1/2 steps, the only remotely difficult move was repeated twice,

Hmmmm...I remember marching this show and never once thinking it easy. I seem to remember hauling it across the field at 5 to 5 and 4 to 5 a lot. There were a ton of huge and sudden direction changes. Park and blow? We had as many holds in our show as any other drum corps (INCLUDING CADETS). I would have killed to have had 1/2 steps at some point, but most of the show was constant movement (looks at high camera video)...nope...running for my life like the VK shark was after me. Son, are you sure you didn't mix up the homecoming halftime from your high school days with your DCI tapes?

and the finale of the opener was the same musically and visually as the closer

*blink*

*blink*

Oh dear god, I need to lay down now. Right now, go watch the video and see if you agree with that statement afterwards. I'll save any debate for this later *lies down*

Really loved the show musically...the brass was spectacular,

Congratulations! You have now come to the point where we can actually agree...and now the Universe will collapse into itself.

and despite the fact that it was easy musically,

*sits polishing High Brass Trophy* reread about three quotes higher.

it was as hard as it could be for the source material chosen.

Excuse me a second, I need to stop Maestro Dvorak from spinning in his grave. Sir, have you ever performed Dvorak's 9th or at least looked at the score? I would say that Dvorak's 9th is anything but as simple as you think. I would suggest looking here for a start. Make sure that you are educated in a subject matter before you decide to state a opinion on it.

Dangnab kids! Always gettin me riled up!

Yo Brad! Wassup! Long time no hear!

...Dangnab kids! Always gettin me riled up!

I'm responding to Spookykid's entire post... just didn't feel the need to quote the whole thing. Scroll up an inch or two and read his most excellent post.

Yo Chris! Good Times buddy! :mmm:

I seriously gotta hunt you down and buy you a beer for that response (... or beverage of choice.)

89 Regiment = Legends... period.

But as far as I'm concerned, 89 Regiment doesn't have to defend itself for anybody. :wall:

Yo Brad! Wassup! Long time no hear!

I'll PM you so we can catch up.

FYI, Chris and I actually went to the SAME elementary school once... 1000 years ago.

:wall:

Now back to the topic at hand...

Edited by bradrick

I was thinking about this earlier...1989 is the most popular DVD that DCI sells.

Moreover, SCV's show from that year constantly tops favorites lists, and won the first Classic Countdown as the most popular show ever... this being almost twenty years after the fact.

Given it's widespread fan and critical (hey, it won, after all) appeal, do you think there's still any lessons to be learned from this show in todays programming?

What made it work so well? The fact it borrowed from musical theater so well, complete with the "stage magic"? The fact that the show had time to be polished a second year?

Should we look more towards musical theater than we do?

This show seems to have balanced what fans love with what (at the time) won....do we just chalk that up as the show having a certain je ne sais quoi?

Bawker, way off topic, but was just thinking about some funny posts. and the one you posted some time ago about the favorite music of Alaska pipeline workers was the all time comedic post as far as I'm comcerned.

2. A story line that did not require Master's degrees in both medieval European history and feng shui design to follow

Dag Nabbit! 3 Years of Internet School for nothing!

(By the way that comment made me laugh a little... :) )