Drum corps audio AS IT SHOULD BE....

Amen to that! Here's hoping they get this on CD or iTunes ASAP. :blink::music:

Why would you go to such lengths to produce a hi-fidelity world-class recording, only to smoosh it up via MP3 compression on iTunes? Gimme the SACD! Hear it as it sounded!!

BTW, IsoMike [ check out http://www.isomike.com ] has test recordings for sale .... one from 2006 has drum corps test tracks on it....don't know who it is though...

Also, take a look at his other galleries. Some amusing shots of that rig being flown in a hall in front of a string quartet! How intimidating is that?!?

And here's another glimpse at how committed they are to good sound: check out those shots where they have placed hard reflective panels in EVERY SEAT in the hall to increase the reverberation time for spaciousness on the recording.

Edited by hughesmr

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand, I'd say go whole hog and produce an audio of finals night using this technology. But would such a recording be too clear? I imagine it would pick up a few too many blemishes (cracked notes, battery dirt, brass imbalances) that would be a bit too distracting for many listeners. I agree that a standstill would be just terrific, but something tells me a recording of a full performance would be a bit much.

Not to mention that, with that positioning, the audience would be almost louder than the corps...

Can't have that, can we?

Not to mention that, with that positioning, the audience would be almost louder than the corps...

Can't have that, can we?

I don't think this approach is well suited to live contest recordings, at least not with baffles of THAT size! It would get shot down solely on the basis of visual impediment, I'm sure. Sure would be nice to hear, though.

Why would you go to such lengths to produce a hi-fidelity world-class recording, only to smoosh it up via MP3 compression on iTunes? Gimme the SACD! Hear it as it sounded!!

BTW, IsoMike [ check out http://www.isomike.com ] has test recordings for sale .... one from 2006 has drum corps test tracks on it....don't know who it is though...

Also, take a look at his other galleries. Some amusing shots of that rig being flown in a hall in front of a string quartet! How intimidating is that?!?

And here's another glimpse at how committed they are to good sound: check out those shots where they have placed hard reflective panels in EVERY SEAT in the hall to increase the reverberation time for spaciousness on the recording.

I am thinking that it is Cascades. They were recorded at Weber last year when they stopped there to reheare. Phantom was also recorded in 2005 when staying there to rehearse.

It looks like Pac-man with ears...

Sorta F's up the 50 yl seats. BTW, just out of curiosity, why no LFE mic? I'm surprised by that setup. I'm absolutely sure it'll sound awesome, but it's a bit weird that you're recording "surround" from one point, no matter the baffles.

In theory, you can do some interesting anti-reverb stuff with that.

Anyhow, just for edification, last year's finals had 24 mics at UW. I wonder if we could indeed go to fewer with the same results...

This is awesome. Blue Knights in SACD 4.0 - this year - I cant wait. Finally drum corps will meet my electrical engineering degree. Finally some music to really test the dynamic range of SACD

Edited by MnM