DCI Stanford West

I got to take in my 7th show of the season in Palo Alto on Saturday night, making the pilgrimage from hot, sweltery Dallas to the cool, sunny, beautiful Bay Area. I don’t care how many times I visit the San Francisco and the Bay Area, it’s still one of my favorite places on earth. For reasons that are hard to capture in words, it just FEELS like the home of SCV and BD, even if you didn’t know it was.

I have to say I was surprised at a couple of things about the DCI West Show at Stanford – first, DCI should know how to run a show better than this. ONE concession stand open for the entire stadium? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Don’t even try to tell me that they don’t have control over something like this, because they can certainly cover things like that in stadium negotiations. Also, no usher control to keep the crowd from moving in & out of the stands during a performance. Maybe as a classic example of DCI run amok, a young teen wearing an “Event Staff” T-shirt proceeded to walk all the way through my row DURING a corps performance, saying “DCI Staff” the whole way until he sat down in DCI VIP section. Nice.

Speaking of the crowd, I always love going to a NorCal show with all the SCV & BD alums there. They certainly provide a different vibe than crowds in the rest of the country. For the most part, the crowd was very quiet through much of the night – too quiet for what I thought were some pretty great shows & performances. Also, my reverence for the SCV “class” aura took a ding thanks to a group of very rude, talkative Vanguard alums sitting right behind me – one of which who’s favorite line repeated throughout the night, quite loudly, was “that’s so gay,” every time he saw something he didn’t like.

Ok, so enough for my rant, now on to the show – which was GREAT. Nothing like sitting outside on a beautiful evening in a gorgeous setting such as Stanford to watch a drum corps show, even having to don a sweatshirt halfway through the night. I had good, but not great, seats – just inside the 35, near the bottom of the upper deck.

Mandarins got the evening started. I’ve seen this show 5 times now, I think. I am surprised that they have not cleaned up more as the season winds to an end. Visually, forms are not always solid – and transitions don’t always seem to be written well. Musically, the show is appealing, but not overly memorable. As usual with Mandarins, the drum features are the highlight of the show. The corps has added a few touches to the end of the show, with a burst of silly string streamers (that comically got all tangled up on one poor guard guy who for whatever reason blindly went about his show without simply giving the stuff a quick brush off – he had a trail 10 feet long following him around for way too long), and some pairs who put on Chinese Dragons. I don’t think the Dragons are used very effectively at all, though, after the first 20 seconds or so. Still, an enjoyable, quality Division I product from Mandarins this summer. I don’t think they’ll make Semis, though, unless they pull off a miracle in the next 5 days.

Cascades were next. The corps is certainly a big step up size-wise from Mandarins, but they are also quite young. The immaturity comes out in marching technique, body carriage/control, and thus also in the quality of sound they put out. While clearly a stronger sound than Mandarins, the corps still seems a bit muddy on the move. The program of “3” is a nice, simple idea that the crowd can grasp in one viewing, and I enjoy their show – all except some really garish choices of silks for some of their flags. I think Cascades may also be on the outside looking in Friday night. More accessible music and retaining their kids for next year would go a long ways to correcting that next year.

Troopers came next, and I am surprised by how much under control the horn line is playing – too much so, by far, in fact. Troop was much louder earlier in the season. They really don’t open up and play above mf much at all now, which makes the show a tad less exciting. This is still my favorite product, though, from any corps in the bottom 1/3 of DCI this summer. The music is tasteful and enjoyable, the drill is a huge step forward in demand from troopers past, and the last minute of the show is downright exciting. It’s amazing how new life can be breathed into a sunburst. Makes for the start of a great finale. I hope these kids come back next year. If they do, Troop could be a force in Semis next year!

Crossmen came next, and were the start of a big jump up in quality from the first trio of corps. I still get a kick out of the “oooohs” and “ahhhhs” from the crowd with the warm up use of the capes. A very cool and fitting tribute to their past. The show is sprinkled with tributes to their past – but I still wish they would have let some melodies play out for longer periods of time. The RCM push is becoming much more effective. Apart from that, it’s the last part of the show, with more unfamiliar music that is most effective. Kudos to Crossmen for an ambitious show. Certainly the best, most wide open and demanding drill from Crossmen in a while. This show has challenged their members all summer long, and should prepare them well for next year. Good luck in my home state of Texas, Crossmen!

Glassmen were the last corps on before intermission – and another big step up in terms of execution. I really enjoy the corps’ gipsy Gitano show. The music is a fresh take on the latin-tinged genre and the show just has a really good groove. The horn line has some very nice soloists, but otherwise is clearly the weak-point in the corps. Certainly the weakest (and quietest) hornline of the finalist caliber corps, and it’s a shame with the music they have to play. The guard continues to grow into their characterizations and is quite fun to watch. Thanks, Glassmen, for four enjoyable, entertaining seasons in row!

It was kind of sobering to see SCV first on after the break – a stunning reminder of just how good this season is competitively. After repeated viewings, this show just grows and grows on me visually. A capable encore to last year’s visual masterpiece. Musically, unfortunately, the show just does not go anywhere in far too many places. The music book is sorely lacking in highpoints. It’s very ironic in a show titled “!” isn’t it? It’s almost like the show title is trying to make up for the lack-luster music book. The horn line is clearly more talented than last year, but, like the Troopers, they suffer greatly from not being allowed to open up. The corps is BY FAR the least powerful hornline in the top 8. This was a point underscored when the Blue Knights came on next and simply blew them away. Hopefully, they will open things up this week – it would certainly help their GE. Don’t get me wrong – I still love this show, but it could be so much more with a music package to match the visual.

Blue Knights had the “lucky” draw to go on after SCV (these group drawings become increasing weird and out of place late in the DCI season) at essentially a home show for Vanguard. Marching a dark and deep thinking show, I was expecting the worst after SCV’s visual flash and home town emotion. You know what? There really wasn’t one. This corps’ hornline is everything musically that SCV is not. Bold, powerful, dark – and BEAUTIFUL. If you closed your eyes, you would swear this corps was beating SCV. HOWEVER – visually they are FAR behind Vanguard. The corps has come a looonnnggg way, though in marching & visual execution since Atlanta. Forms – and particularly the exposed files the corps is so fond of doing – are still not sharp. I don’t see BK catching Vanguard, though I suppose it’s possible. Still, I think they are in solid shape to push back in front of Boston and capture 8th in Pasadena. I know many don’t like BK of the last few years, but I do. I love it. Great job BK! There were many moments where the performance – and especially the music – caused me to cheer. Unfortunately, as was the case for many corps in many places tonight at this show, I was alone. Like I said above, I’ve never seen a crowd sit on it’s hands so much – and not even just during BK.

Bluecoats are a special joy to watch. From the opening moments, they are sophisticated, crisp and stylish. I disagree with those who say they are now “BD light.” They still have their own distinct style. It’s just devoid of the cheese that always somehow found it’s way into each show. The entire concept is great, and they just keep adding little nuances. For example, now when the horn player is “pick-pocketed” by 2 guard members, instead of stealing the wallet, they now steal something much more obvious – his headgear. He then hilariously “shoots” the thief and reclaims his headgear. Just a little touch, but very cool. The guard snaking their way through the security “lasers” continues to be a way cool moment as well. I thought for a while that ‘coats had a chance to break into the top 3. However, watching from the upper deck, the corps is still missing the drill demand or effects that the top 3 have – and if you watch the drill in the last 1/3 of the show, it is not nearly as clean. Still, by far the best Bluecoats ever, and it’s going to take another Phantom Regiment late season miracle push (though those seem to have become common) to keep Bluecoats out of consecutive top 4 finishes. By the way, ‘coats were at least twice as loud, deep, and full as was Vanguard.

The Cadets had to follow Bluecoats crowd-appealing show with their crowd-killing narration show. Some corps have found creative little ways to add just a spice of narration. Cadets have found a way to take it and kill what is otherwise a championship caliber, crowd friendly show. Every element of this corps is top notch. Brass can play the snot out of their horns, Percussion is on a tear, Guard is again stellar and they are marching some great stuff. I did see, though, some forms and files that are not yet clean. They are so good in places they want to make you go nuts. But of course, at precisely those moments that start speaking some inane childhood blather again. I keep waiting for them to add another segment – for kid who was a bed-wetting 3rd grader. Wait! Did you know that was a low brass line? It’s really sad, because this could be a great show. It’s actually even ok with all the noise. It could be so much more, though.

Blue Devils capped off the night – with some suspense after taking a week off tour basically to work on a new ending. I actually wondered if it is fair to let a key touring corps take a whole week off tour, but then on the other hand, perhaps it hurt them competitively. This is a terrific BD corps – every caption. The opener continues to sizzle. Great music, great guard accents. Very dark and sumptuous. The rest? Well, it still suffers by comparison. I get the whole darkness to light thing, but it just isn’t done well by BD – at least not in this show. Regiment had a similar challenge to cap off a dark show with redemption, but they worked the hell out of Mahler’s great Resurrection Symphony to do it. BD’s journey into light just seems anti-climatic. Still, this is a great show, and like Bluecoats, BK and Cadets, this hornline packs quite a wallop.

Speaking of horn line volumes, the Vanguard alums sitting behind me I ranted on above were talking about how the hornlines now aren’t as loud as in the 80s because of the switch to Bb’s. I beg to disagree. It’s Vanguard who has no volume the last 2 years, but other corps are just as powerful on the Bb instruments.

Well, Pasadena still seems to be a toss up. All 3 of the current top 3 have weaknesses (Cadets’s Narration, BD’s 2nd half & Cavies music & ending). Will this be a typical year where BD’s execution on Saturday night trumps all? We’ll see. I wouldn’t bet much of anything on anything within the top 7 for Finals! And you know what? That makes for great fun!

See you in Pasadena!

Harvey

GREAT REVIEW, thank you! And I agree with you on some of the crowd. (Read my review)... "I want to see Vanguard fall on their faces," says a BD Alum? Seriously?

Same thing with the guys walking uip and down the stairs to sell. Who the hell wants to hear "COTTON CANDY? COTTON CANDY?" during a show? Yeah, they needed ushers. 1st NorCal major show jitters I guess.

I

Speaking of horn line volumes, the Vanguard alums sitting behind me I ranted on above were talking about how the hornlines now aren’t as loud as in the 80s because of the switch to Bb’s. I beg to disagree. It’s Vanguard who has no volume the last 2 years, but other corps are just as powerful on the Bb instruments.

Harvey

Honest, informative review - well thought out. Only disagreement relates to your comment that corps using the Bb instruments today are 'as powerful' as the lines in the 80's. I strongly beg to differ. You can even go back to the Golden 60-70's and there were a few lines back then ( with say 42-48 in the line ) who could drown out the majority of corps today - take your pick - Madison, Phantom, SVC etc. Of course no argument that the overall quality today is superior though obviously the material played draws quite a divegence of fan opinions. Looking forward to hearing the Kingsmen Alumni in Pasadena - with 100+ in their brass line, I think they might be a tad loud.

Edited by coloradocorp

Very nice review. Any estimate on attendance numbers?

Same thing with the guys walking uip and down the stairs to sell. Who the hell wants to hear "COTTON CANDY? COTTON CANDY?" during a show? Yeah, they needed ushers. 1st NorCal major show jitters I guess.

The people selling churros DURING the performances was also very annoying. I may be getting forgetful in my old age, but I don't recall seeing/hearing vendors during performances until Stanford.

very good review! pretty much how i felt throughout the night..

it was the first DCI show that I've been to for a very long time... it's kinda great to get back into the corps scene.

though i was a little annoyed by the narration... i had heard The Cadets was doing well in standings, but after seeing their show last night.. i just really have mixed feelings.

Honest, informative review - well thought out. Only disagreement relates to your comment that corps using the Bb instruments today are 'as powerful' as the lines in the 80's. I strongly beg to differ. You can even go back to the Golden 60-70's and there were a few lines back then ( with say 42-48 in the line ) who could drown out the majority of corps today - take your pick - Madison, Phantom, SVC etc.

How can anyone prove or disprove such an assertion? IMO it's not true at all that those 40+ person hornlines lines were really louder, but of course there is no way to prove it...or disprove it.

Haha....maybe my favorite (aka LEAST favorite) part of the Stanford show was a quiet moment in someone's show, and hearing "Churrrrrrroooooooooooooo! Churro!" from the upper deck. :unsure: