Are the corps louder this year?

This year is the first year in some time that I have noticed some decibels from most of the DCI top twelve. Particularly noteworthy in my estimation are Cadets, Blue Devils, Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom. SCV exhibits beautiful shading with some good decibel moments as well. I fact, I can't think of a top twelve corps this year which sounds overly controlled with the possible exception of Cavies.

In ruminating as to the possible causes for a return to good old drum corps FFF (aka RFL), I have a theory which dawned on me while listening to the 2006 Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project (MSARP). I would like to think that some of the brass instructors in DCI division I were actually noticing that the crowd seemed to be genuinely thrilled by a little volume and having the brass line "speak" to them. What do you all think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump...come on what do you think? I really want to know.

I do know a cadets hit actually physically hit me at Allentown this year (Felt the impact on my chest)

Can't say that has happened since the 90's.

Its a "LOOK OVER HERE!" tactic. The old schoolers can listen and go "Now THATS the volume we like to hear!" and meanwhile over here the corps can add things like narration and such and hope no one notices.

:P

"fffff - the best reason to play euphonium"

:)

Its a "LOOK OVER HERE!" tactic. The old schoolers can listen and go "Now THATS the volume we like to hear!" and meanwhile over here the corps can add things like narration and such and hope no one notices.

But the corps adding the narration is also the loudest...so arent we all looking in the same direction :worthy::worthy: :P

I won't know until next weekend. I saw Cadets live this week, and although extremely impressed with them, didn't think they were "face meltingly" loud.

Cadets' encore at Louisville was a good, solid, in-your-face sound. It doesn't matter if you were front row or fiftieth. They made you know they were there.