I want to scream "boooo"

I have read and heard that it is not right to "boo" a particular corps or performance.

Says who? Do the fans at professional sports games boo? Should they be able to? What is the difference?

Booing is a right of the paying audience to pass judgement on the performer - just like clapping and giving a standing "O." Just like professional sports - not every player deserves to be "boo'd" - simply being part of the team makes them guilty by association.

I wish I was in Pasadena - I be screaming BOOOOO at the top of my lungs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Professional sports players are paid millions of dollars.

Drum corps participants are paying thousands of dollars.

People are certainly entitled to boo all they want. I can't stop them. Just like they can't stop me from (hypothetically) calling them classless ######## when they do.

That's right. I'm not going to boo some poor kid who paid 2000 bucks to have one of the greatest summers of his life, which he sacrificed blood, sweat, and hard-in-the-### work for. While these kids spend so much time working to entertain you, it is NOT right to boo them.

Professional sports, on the other hand, is different. These athletes are mostly concerned about winning, making millions, and earning themselves titles. They don't play to entertain the crowd. They play to win.

That's the difference. And if I see quote-on-quote dbc here (despite his sig) "classless ########" who boo kids because they're working hard to make YOU happy, then you'll have people like me to answer to. And if you think this makes me mad, try telling this to all corps parents, and see the kind of reaction they'll give you.

Yeah, because drum corps is TOTALLY a professional sport. Heck, I just got off the phone with Mike Loeffelholtz negotiating my contract for next year. Get this, they're totally cutting my pay from $90 million to $89 million! I am so flippin' mad.

Seriously, these kids pay a hefty price (including the price of the money they never see because they aren't working over the summer) to get their butts kicked around the football field all day every day. They come out on the field giving us their hearts and souls in the form of a drum corps show. For those reasons, booing is totally inappropriate. No matter how much I dislike a show, or disagree with the way it is produced, I will not boo. Sit on your hands if you want, or just sit and clap politely at the end.

well, it certainly is your right. You paid, and you can indeed do what you want. But I dunno... it just seems kinda tacky in our activity. The kids aren't making any money or using any sneaky manuevers to beat the competition, they're just out there giving it their all.

But I was boo'd many times when I was in the Guardsmen. We didn't have a TON of fans like Madison or Blue Devils or SCV or Cavies... or 27th! And the boo'ing had little effect on me when I was in. I heard it, and I was like "f you" ... you know? :worthy: It made it that much sweeter in '79 when we cleaned up on a lot of corps that year...

The kids aren't making any money or using any sneaky manuevers to beat the competition, they're just out there giving it their all.

I dunno man...there's this one line in Cadet's show where they come off as very pro-steroid...

"I Believe in 'da Juice!"

I have read and heard that it is not right to "boo" a particular corps or performance.

Says who? Do the fans at professional sports games boo? Should they be able to? What is the difference?

Booing is a right of the paying audience to pass judgement on the performer - just like clapping and giving a standing "O." Just like professional sports - not every player deserves to be "boo'd" - simply being part of the team makes them guilty by association.

I wish I was in Pasadena - I be screaming BOOOOO at the top of my lungs.

I thought the difference is that drum corps people were _far_ above that in class.