Blah.

I'm with you, George. What is it with all these unhappy people who feel the need to announce that they are done and really leaving this time... and this time... and this time.... ad naseum. We get it! You're miserable and you want everyone to know it. (I guess it's true what they say - "misery loves company.")

I'm sincerely sorry that the drum corps activity of today no longer appeals to you - I mean that. But - it is what it is and no amount of repeatedly announced departures on your part will revive the version of drum corps you experienced in your youth - nor will any number of passion plays by the "left behinds" be rewarded with a sudden retrovision back to the days when bugles were bugles and lead pipes were scared.

If you can truly find no pleasure in today's junior drum corps, at least have the conviction to stand by your stated beliefs and go quietly - with the class you espouse. We will miss you, but we'll miss you quietly while we do what we can to support the drum corps product that our kids (today's members) identify with and love. :ramd:

With respect for all views and opinions, :unsure:

Michael Terry

Woodstock, GA

Saying in one paragraph that people who do not agree with todays drum corps should shut up and leave leave while ending your post with "with respect for all (emphasis mine) views and opinions is like saying 1+1=11. It does not add up.

Dialogue includes those who do not agree with your view.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP was created to talk about the drum corps activity...that happens to include people who may not be satisfied with it.

Uh - I think I know why DCP was created. :unsure:

Especially considering I was the fellow who created it...

The ACTUAL reason it was created was because a bunch of has-beens were moaning about "today's" activity and constantly griping about how much better things used to be. They had turned the primary forum of the time - RAMD - into their personal soap box - informing the rest of us 24/7 how things used to be and why things suck now.

This "Blah" attitude IS the reason DCP was created. The attitude that "things should always stay exactly the way they happened to be when a particular person marched" sucks and I'll continue to state such.

Edited by George

Saying in one paragraph that people who do not agree with todays drum corps should shut up and leave leave while ending your post with "with respect for all (emphasis mine) views and opinions is like saying 1+1=11. It does not add up.

Dialogue includes those who do not agree with your view.

He was being sarcastic. Not all views are created equal.

LoveKathyG. Congrats to you on developing another pointless thread.

Maybe drum corps just isn't right for you at this point? :unsure:

I have beeen around a long time now, and see no issues with the actiity. In factt, I have been thoroughly entertained this summer.

Different opinions are always welcome but they need to at least in general, make sense

Good thing I didn't know the attitude involved when DCP was created or I wouldn't have bothered. Thought the difference between RAMD and DCP was on DCP you had to show respect to people who disagreed with you. Sure learned different this morning as some of what I've read ranks up with a bad day on RAMD.

And some of what I've read shows some people here can be respectful of differing opinions. :unsure:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

So, I'm kind of done... I was at Stanford last weekend, and I gotta say it... In a lot of cases, too many cases, drum corps doesn't look much like drum corps any more. And if you're cool with that, then good...great...congrats. In all sincerity, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

For me, I'm kind of checked out. I left telling my friends and family that I'm tired of fighting it. I kind of don't care that much any more. Gibbskins or Hobbs or whoever you are...you win. Bring on the amplification. Bring on the electronics. Bring on the multilayered complexity and cerebral aestetics of a Supel Bowl half time show with thousands of aerobic instructors doing a really peppy routine as Melissa Ethridge belts out "Let's Get Physical" on a 100 foot phallus at the 50 yard line. Hell, let's make the rules changes this fall. Celeb musicians of any age need to be able to perform in drum corps, provided, of course, that they have at least one platenum record or People's Choice Award. I think Kajagoogoo really has something to contribute to drum corps. Talk about expanding drum corps' appeal, what high schooler wouldn't want to join their local drum corps if they had the opportunity to march alongside Peaches and Herb? (And as a quick aside, what are the chances Peaches and Herb are actually Ashford and Simpson redressed?) Come to think of it, maybe we better approve Patsy Award winners too. It probably isn't fair, after all, to exclude animal performers. I taught my dog to say, "I love you." With the pathos in that dog's voice...hell, he'd be a fantastic narrator.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna get all crazy claiming that I'm done with drum corps. I'll be back next season and the season after that, if only beause there are too many people I love who I don't get to see any time other than drum corps shows. But this stuff that takes us further and further away from what can reasonably be called drum corps (i.e narration, amplification, electronics, zippered pants, horseless carriages...just kidding on those last two...one must keep one's sense of humor in these trying times) really does bum me out.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

More power to ya. But your post baffles me because I've been a drum corps fan and participant since 1979 and for me 2007 has been the most incredible, enjoyable and by far THE BEST season of DCI EVER. I'm still hooked.

Edited by THX 1138

you mean like showing respect for the differences of today's drum corps activity vs when you happened to march??? yes - that is why DCP is here - MUTUAL respect.

One-way respect is not.

Two way respect is something we can agree on..... But I do not consider "I like A better then B" as showing disrespect for B.

Thing is when I walked away years ago I faulted myself and not the corps on the field. I just figured DC had just changed enough that I now longer enjoyed. Having a collection of recordings going back to the 50s I could follow the changes over the decades and what happened 92/93 was part of that history of change. Think I muttered "Well nice while it lasted" and home I went....

And if anyone thinks I am showing disrespect to current members and corps in my posts, please PM me so I know.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Two way respect is something we can agree on..... But I do not consider "I like A better then B" as showing disrespect for B.

Thing is when I walked away years ago I faulted myself and not the corps on the field. I just figured DC had just changed enough that I now longer enjoyed. Having a collection of recordings going back to the 50s I could follow the changes over the decades and what happened 92/93 was part of that history of change. Think I muttered "Well nice while it lasted" and home I went....

What's the paraphrase? "I didn't leave drum corps, drum corps left me."

And if anyone thinks I am showing disrespect to current members and corps in my posts, please PM me so I know.

Well you do know that because of the today's PCism, everything is now equal and good and you can't say anything bad, even if you're comparing them.

Edited by sburstall

What's the paraphrase? "I didn't leave drum corps, drum corps left me."

Also thought "Guess I'm getting too old for this ####" which is VERY ironic that it's being discussed now as I hit 50 next week. :P :unsure: :sshh:

PS - First big complaint I heard about DC changing was those ####### marching bells... B)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari