Blah.

I marched 25 years ago, and truth be told I don't see that many differences from when I marched, to present. I see over 100 young athletes per corps, giving up at least 1 weekend a month, and three months a year to practice, perform, eat from a food truck, sleep on a gym floor, pour all of their blood sweat, and tears into their show. They perform for the scores AND the fans.

My son is marching in CC (2006-07), and he is 3rd generation drum corps participant. My father marched in the Racine Kilties 1948-1950. I marched Spirit of Atlanta 1980-1982. Yes, technically, there are differences, and it is fun for us to discuss them, but come-on. You are going to turn your back on all of those young participants. Remember, they are performing THEIR hearts out at each and every show.

Show up, pay $50-100 per ticket, and cheer for those kids! And get over your self.

IMHO

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh - I think I know why DCP was created. :unsure:

Especially considering I was the fellow who created it...

The ACTUAL reason it was created was because a bunch of has-beens were moaning about "today's" activity and constantly griping about how much better things used to be. They had turned the primary forum of the time - RAMD - into their personal soap box - informing the rest of us 24/7 how things used to be and why things suck now.

This "Blah" attitude IS the reason DCP was created. The attitude that "things should always stay exactly the way they happened to be when a particular person marched" sucks and I'll continue to state such.

Yes, George, we're all well aware that you created DCP.

I was/am the project lead and director of a 15 million dollar data center project. However, I don't pepper my conversation with that fact each time someone disagrees with me on an IT issue.

Perhaps you did create DCP just to get away from the Catherine Burr "I hate everything" of the marching arts....but extreme viewpoints will still be held. I find the OP no more "out there" than MikeD or others that want everything legalized.

If we're not here to "meet in the middle" and discuss our differences and passions, then so be it. But every post that has disagreement with the way we're headed as an activity isn't Chicken Little.

Two way respect is something we can agree on..... But I do not consider "I like A better then B" as showing disrespect for B.

Thing is when I walked away years ago I faulted myself and not the corps on the field. I just figured DC had just changed enough that I now longer enjoyed. Having a collection of recordings going back to the 50s I could follow the changes over the decades and what happened 92/93 was part of that history of change. Think I muttered "Well nice while it lasted" and home I went....

And if anyone thinks I am showing disrespect to current members and corps in my posts, please PM me so I know.

I don't think it is necessarily disrespect. What drum corps is today is not for your taste or liking and that is unfortunate, but OK too. The activity has changed with time. This is hard for some to accept. If it is not right for you then you reserve the right to walk away, but I would hope you wouldn't.

1) I was skeptical about b flat horns and volume, but guess what? Crown, Phantom, and Cadets are great examples, proving that big volume can be attained through b flat horns. So I accepted b flat horns.

2) I was skeptical about amplification, but after hearing the amped pit, I realized their contribution to a corps show that I hadn't heard before in allot of cases. That was cool, and I accepted amps.

3) Narration - I think Crown has utilized narration better than anyone when they have used it, and as long as it is tastefully done, I am fine with any corps using it. I have made it clear that I did not like Cadets use of it this year, as I think this show has the dice without it.

4) Entertainment value - There is more to a show these days than just being loud. In summary, this is the best season of drum corps I have been a part of, since I first got around the activity in 1984. All corps are very entertaining and of high caliber.

I am sorry to hear you so jaded, but the activity has to grow, andd we have to grow with it or move on.

I will say this. I will be gone the first moment I hear a flute, clarinet, or saxaphone played on the field by any drum corps.

I love it, George...

Old-timers (here on DCP) who check how many posts you have on this little chat board, then decide if your opinion is valid. If this is "your" board, sounds like you set it up so YOU could be the arbiter.

I've been around awhile, & I agree that corps still has a lot to offer. However, I think it's ridiculous to read the massive volume of posts re "the problem with drum corps" & think that there's no problem. To then attack anyone who expresses that opinion (telling them, in essence, "you shouldn't say that on my board - that's not what it's for") is kinda childish; like holding your hands over your ears.

I think the problm is not the rules changes or amps or...

I think the corps are more alike now then ever. Less eccentricity, less local flavor, fewer home-grown staff/members & more hired hands & imports. They all have a single vision. consolidation.

(ps remeber how some - not me - used to make fun of Stanley's seattle corps? now they ALL wear little jumpsuits & jazz run. kinda funny)

So, I'm kind of done... I was at Stanford last weekend, and I gotta say it... In a lot of cases, too many cases, drum corps doesn't look much like drum corps any more. And if you're cool with that, then good...great...congrats. In all sincerity, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

For me, I'm kind of checked out. I left telling my friends and family that I'm tired of fighting it. I kind of don't care that much any more. Gibbskins or Hobbs or whoever you are...you win. Bring on the amplification. Bring on the electronics. Bring on the multilayered complexity and cerebral aestetics of a Supel Bowl half time show with thousands of aerobic instructors doing a really peppy routine as Melissa Ethridge belts out "Let's Get Physical" on a 100 foot phallus at the 50 yard line. Hell, let's make the rules changes this fall. Celeb musicians of any age need to be able to perform in drum corps, provided, of course, that they have at least one platenum record or People's Choice Award. I think Kajagoogoo really has something to contribute to drum corps. Talk about expanding drum corps' appeal, what high schooler wouldn't want to join their local drum corps if they had the opportunity to march alongside Peaches and Herb? (And as a quick aside, what are the chances Peaches and Herb are actually Ashford and Simpson redressed?) Come to think of it, maybe we better approve Patsy Award winners too. It probably isn't fair, after all, to exclude animal performers. I taught my dog to say, "I love you." With the pathos in that dog's voice...hell, he'd be a fantastic narrator.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna get all crazy claiming that I'm done with drum corps. I'll be back next season and the season after that, if only beause there are too many people I love who I don't get to see any time other than drum corps shows. But this stuff that takes us further and further away from what can reasonably be called drum corps (i.e narration, amplification, electronics, zippered pants, horseless carriages...just kidding on those last two...one must keep one's sense of humor in these trying times) really does bum me out.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Haha, I kinda enjoyed this and got a nice little chuckle out of it. Then again, I also root for Pioneer =)

You are going to turn your back on all of those young participants. Remember, they are performing THEIR hearts out at each and every show.

Show up, pay $50-100 per ticket, and cheer for those kids! And get over your self.

IMHO

So .... because any of us were once involved in drum corps, we must always be no matter what or else we're hurting the kids ???!!!! Thank-you, no. I will spend my money where I please. And if drum corps no longer interests me (not the case, btw -- I disagree with the OPs assessment) then I will find another way to support youth groups and be entertained. You make it sound like my money is forever earmarked to DCI, and I would be some kind of an ogre to "turn my back" even if I no longer like the product. There are lots of activities out there for young adults -- drum corps is but one.

Again, I don't agree with the OPs assessment. I find drum corps as entertaining as ever and continue to support it. But when (if?) that is no longer the case, when I no longer am entertained sufficiently and/or have no other sufficient connection, I may find another outlet to support. Or not. My money, my choice.

(Sorry if this comes off a little harsh -- don't mean to. This is one of my hot buttons and if I misinterpreted your intention here, then please disregard :) )

What's the paraphrase? "I didn't leave drum corps, drum corps left me."

I guess we each hit our wall of the changes we can accept. It's not drum corps fault that the changes go beyond what a person will embrace, be it Jim, you or anyone else. It's not the person's "fault", either; it's just the way it is. There were those who complained long and loud about Bayonne abandoning the St Andrew's Cadet style uni and donning the banana unis...they said it wasn't drum corps...today they are looked on as one of the great corps of all time.

I've been around awhile, & I agree that corps still has a lot to offer. However, I think it's ridiculous to read the massive volume of posts re "the problem with drum corps" & think that there's no problem.

The "massive volume of posts" are but a tiny fragment of the total fan base of drum corps past and present...and many of those posts come from the same small cadre of people.

I guess we each hit our wall of the changes we can accept. It's not drum corps fault that the changes go beyond what a person will embrace, be it Jim, you or anyone else. It's not the person's "fault", either; it's just the way it is.

Very true.

Everyone has their "line in the sand" (well, except you, Mike :P )...and it may be electronics, woodwinds, the Cavaliers marching girls...or whatever.

Respect the past, but embrace the future. It's hard to do.

Very hard if it's a change you don't like.

If you can't get what you want from DCI , find your niche. DCA, Alumni corps...II/III, local units...there's more that just DCI out there. :)