Cadets' narration....thoughts

Sam .... We appreciate your concerns. We have worked all year to make this work. I am sorry you find it so offensive.

Why is this so? Can you tell me what element of voice makes it less effective for you?

PS --- the inserted comment about no voice .... is a clear attempt by US ... by the Cadets, to make a little fun of ourselves ... and the entire controversy. After all .... it's just a little voice ... and drum corps! We will move on to the next challenge in 2008

Hahahaha...that's what I'm TALKIN ABOUT!!!

The Cadets are doing well and will continue to do well. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing that I haven't seen mentioned, and is difficult to articulate, but I'll give it a try.

Drum corps is a presentational idiom that has always been about achieving excellence in certain disciplines -- playing horns, playing drums, spinning equipment, all while marching. The best corps display remarkable group skills in these areas. Developing those skills to such a high level is only done through many years of individual training, and months of group rehearsal. The greatest moments in drum corps almost exclusively result from the 135 people on the field doing something highly skilled, together.

This show's focus on narration ignores the disciplines upon which the activity is based. What the Cadets have made the focus of this show can be performed by someone with absolutely zero training or talent in marching, playing or spinning. Moreover, even though this is a competitive activity, it is unclear how this "talent" is being judged, if at all.

That bugs me.

If you really listen and watch the show...the narration is so perfectly placed that it is during downtimes in the music. It seems the score was written and the narration was just another musical line in the score.

To go a step further, it sounds like the music was written around the narration. It sounds like they are playing filler music until the closer. It sounds good, but I can only imagine what they could do if they weren't there to backup the narration.

I haven't heard the newest version of this show, but I actually like the part where they are talking about rehearsals and the work it takes to put on a show. I don't really get the "Athlete of God" comment, but whatever. The guy that talks about not fitting in until he started playing music kinda irritates me. Besides finding his voice rather annoying, I don't like the idea that Drum Corps is made up of a bunch of misfits. While it may be true, we don't have to admit it, do we?

One more thing that I haven't seen mentioned, and is difficult to articulate, but I'll give it a try.

Drum corps is a presentational idiom that has always been about achieving excellence in certain disciplines -- playing horns, playing drums, spinning equipment, all while marching. The best corps display remarkable group skills in these areas. Developing those skills to such a high level is only done through many years of individual training, and months of group rehearsal. The greatest moments in drum corps almost exclusively result from the 135 people on the field doing something highly skilled, together.

This show's focus on narration ignores the disciplines upon which the activity is based. What the Cadets have made the focus of this show can be performed by someone with absolutely zero training or talent in marching, playing or spinning. Moreover, even though this is a competitive activity, it is unclear how this "talent" is being judged, if at all.

That bugs me.

The show's sole focus is not on narration. You may choose to pay more attention to that particular aspect of the show, but that is a choice. Music and movement comprise much more of the show content-wise than the narration.

The funniest part of these kinds of threads are the lengths some of you go to embellish and sometimes just outright make stuff up (not calling you out, Chiboy) in order to make your point(s).

I have held off speaking about this topic ever since everyone came out in 2005 and blasted the Cadets. I don't personally have a problem with vocals as long as they ADD to the show. That statement in itself is opinion only of course. I am surprised that this stuff has caused so much controversy over the last couple years. Drum corps is a constantly evolving medium/sport/whatever you want to call it. Looking at it that way, 90% of the corps are NOT using vocals. If the Cadets feel it makes them stand out, and it is within the rules, go for it! If the judges believe it takes away from the performance, it will show up in the scores. Obviously that is not the case. I have never been a huge Cadets fan, but they have always been innovators. You have to give them that.

The show's sole focus is not on narration. You may choose to pay more attention to that particular aspect of the show, but that is a choice. Music and movement comprise much more of the show content-wise than the narration.

The funniest part of these kinds of threads are the lengths some of you go to embellish and sometimes just outright make stuff up (not calling you out, Chiboy) in order to make your point(s).

I don't think he said it was the "sole focus" of the show. He said it doesn't take any special "training or talent" in what we might consider to be drum corps disciplines to perform the narration.

I haven't seen the Cadets since late July, but it did seem that the show was built around the narration, as if that was the purpose of the show...if that was the intention, it would need to be really special narration/poetry/prose to pull it off..."I never fit in" didn't do that in my opinion.

...and, just for the record, I am NOT against the use of voices in drum corps shows.

As for "Stop being an arm chair design/corps director. If you have all the answers leave your computer desk and design something better" You must've missed the thread where I'm starting another Sr in teh L.A. area.

AHA!! The real reason you started this thread Sam, more publicity for your new corps. Your OP was something "controversial" to drive up the views and page numbers. Then you plant someone to "attack" you and tell you to start your own corps. Then you get to come back with the "I am starting my own corps!" For all the DCI fans that missed your thread over in the DCA area, you've got a second announcment thread.

Well played!! Lee would be proud. :satisfied:

Just as a show featuring a soloist who plays 40% or more of the time would be criticized-so should inordinately featured vocals. This is especially exacerbated by the use of amplification which gives one person even MORE power relative to the other 130. Totally and obviously (and effectively) distasteful. to say nothing of the content and quality of delivery of the vocals, which are even more subjective concerns- but those are seperate objections. There are more...

AHA!! The real reason you started this thread Sam, more publicity for your new corps. Your OP was something "controversial" to drive up the views and page numbers. Then you plant someone to "attack" you and tell you to start your own corps. Then you get to come back with the "I am starting my own corps!" For all the DCI fans that missed your thread over in the DCA area, you've got a second announcment thread.

Well played!! Lee would be proud. :doh:

Hardly....I don't play that kind of game...how many pages did it take for the new corps to come up...and that was ONLY in response to a direct challenge.

Back on topic....I don't like the feeling of being FORCED to like the show... "LOVE OUR SHOW! LISTEN TO HOW AWESOME OUR EXPERIENCE IS! WHY DON'T YOU LOVE OUR SHOW? YOU SHOULD LOVE OUR SHOW!"

THAT'S what is feels like to me.....I'm a big boy....I can decide for myself if a show thrills me or not, narration or not (love 'Coats, for example), i don't need it force-fed.

I'll give it one more chance at semis so I can see the drill, but if I still feel like I'm being preached at or my intelligence insulted, I'll be leaving that stand for the show come finals.

First of all, I am old school, but accept and enjoy the way the mics, amps and such have been used in many cases. This year, I like the use the Bluecoats are making in the criminal theme. Last year I loved the Xmen.

The Cadets have the opposite effect on me.

First off, it sounds new agey, feel good, psychobabble nonsense.

Second, whoever said the guy sounded like Napolean Dynamite, that is what I thought when I first heard it. I was dying laughing. I kept waiting for him to say "Gosh..".

Finally, it's just too much. Period, end of story.

This I believe.... :P