Does anyone know what attendance was for DII/III prelims?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's going to take someone to enlist the help of locals such as High School Bands for help with advertising.

Back before the Internet, our High School helped sponsor a Drum Corps Show in Overland Park, KS. Our Band Director had the Band Members out all over the Metro putting up Posters. I recall the Staduim being full.

You would think DCI could enlist such assistance to help out Div II and III.

I used to be a Div II/III skeptic but after seeing a II/III contest I would say it's worth the ticket price for sure.

THANK YOU RYAN !!!!!!!! I'VE FELT FOR SOME TIME NOW THAT THE HEART OF DCI IS IN DIV II/III . By that I mean THIS IS WHERE THE ACTIVITY IS FROM , WHERE IT SHOULD BE. Take a bunch of kids largely local (to your corps home area) AND MAKE SOMETHING OF THEM. That's what Drum Corps once was BEFORE the age of the THREE AUDITION SITES in THREE different Parts of the country AND TAKING ONLY THE BEST 135 PEOPLE YOU CAN FIND ON AN" INTERNATIONAL JOB FAIRE TYPE RECRUITMENT DRIVE"

I have a hard time believing that Div I does more to EDUCATE the young people involved than DIV II/III . I KNOW for a fact ,that if you're looking for DRIVE, COMMITMENT, AND RAW ENERGY DIV II/III is where you need to spend your time.

Sadly though , WE are the ( N.I.Ts) to DIV. I (NCAA) . OR the AFL to Div I NFL .Sure alot of corps are having trouble in our division WHY WOULDN'T WE BE ? The drum corps community has become jaded into believing that DIV I is all there is . I Have no gripe specifically with the individual Div I corps or for that matter with DCI .They marketed what they feel is the most marketable.

NOT ONE OF THE TOP 4 OR 5 DIV II/III corps would have much trouble being presentable in competition in Div I. I'm NOT delusional ,I know they 'd place somewhere between 16th - 27th , the point is ,they could be there and ,be as entertaining .

People have forgotten that ,in alot of ways the only reason a corps is in Div II or maybe Div III is because they 're S-M-A-L-L-E-R NOT LESS OF A CORPS .

FOR MY MONEY DIV II/III IS WHERE DCI MEETS THE ROAD. It's Drum Corps for the masses , It's enjoyable, It's often ,High energy

AND SO DARNED UNPREDICTABLE ,THAT IT'S ALMOST LIKE COLLEGE BASKETBALL." ANY CORPS ,ON ANY GIVEN DAY" (to some degree)

Again DIV II/III IS WHERE MY HEART IS AND I KNOW IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE INTEREST ,MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE EXCITED.

MARK74 --- You have eloquently stated exactly what needs to be said. You are absolutely right on. I can only hope that your sentiments are read by DCI --- I don't expect DCI to do anything different, but you have hit the nail squarely on the head. Thanks for your thoughts.