A Word From the OTHER Competition...

I had the unparalled thrill and honor of announcing yesterday for the first time ever for Drum Corps International at the Division II/III Preliminary Competition at Pasadena City College. It was a great day. So many great performances, so many dedicated volunteers, so many photographers and videographers, so many news crews and video cameras...it was great. A TOP NOTCH judging panel of some of the best in the business was on hand to adjudicate. The show was SMOOTH AS ICE, with not one hiccup. On time...signed, sealed and delivered.

But you know what was missing?

YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all of you that are Division I diehards, and wouldn't think of ever going to a Division II/III competition much less go to the Division II/III Forum here on DCP, allow me to be that "bridge" if you will. I HIGHLY suggest you scrape together an extra $10 and make the trek to Pasadena City College on Friday. Division II/III semi's will occur before Division I semi's--you'll have plenty of time to get from PCC to the Rose Bowl. And here's what you're going to get if you come out to Division II/III semi's....

• UNBELIEVABLE level of performance...these corps are HERE TO PLAY and they are battling to make Grand Finals...you think Division I is exciting--you should be here Friday! If TUESDAY was any indication--yikes. I think Division II/III is going to kick it up a notch or forty on Friday!
  • GREAT STADIUM!! It may not be the highest in the world, but it certainly is intimate--and you REALLY get to see what's going on out on the field! Not just hear the sound and see the drill--but watch the KIDS!! WOW!!! What intensity!!
  • Great parking!!! Multi-storied parking structure VERY easy to get to the stadium. About 100 yds IF THAT away.

I can't think of anymore important reason though than to share your love of drum corps with the "up and coming" kids in this activity. I'll be brutally honest. Last year, in Madison, with VERY few exceptions, I was bored silly at Division II/III. But not this year. Something got into the water supply of these corps, and they are all across the board some of the best Division II/III I have EVER seen. MUSICAL, LOUD, INTENSE...oh yeah...that's what drum corps is!!!

So if you REALLY want to get overloaded on drum corps, see you on Friday at Pasadena City College. You will NOT be disappointed. And for a second--think what it's like to perform for a stadium FULL of people that are roaring for you. What's the worth?

For me--$10 for a ticket to help make that happen!

ROCK ON and see you Friday!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Great parking!!! Multi-storied parking structure VERY easy to get to the stadium. About 100 yds IF THAT away.

Ryan - great job announcing. I agree with everything you said - except the part about last year in Madision - I thought that was great too. Div II/III prelims is the best day of the week.

Just one note, if you park in the garage, make sure you park between the lines. Several people got parking tickets for being over the line.

Thank you Chris--and you were there and didn't introduce yourself to me??? GOOD GRIEF!!! You're like a drum corps legend dude.

As for the parking, YES!! 100% with Mr. Maher on this one. The parking regs are strictly enforced by their Police Cadets there (which incidentally--just as an interesting "gee whiz" side note--I used to be the Cadet Program Coordinator at PCC back in 1986 and 1987...useless trivia I know). I asked one of the guys if they were ticketing for lack of parking permits that you have to buy for 2 bucks, and he grinned and said, "Oh yeah. It's fee parking anytime." And he was right. There's a big sign as you enter the lot--you must pay for parking for ANY EVENT ANY TIME...no exceptions. So make sure you show up with 2 bucks in dollar bills or quarters/dimes/nickles and please pay. The parking dealy bobs are up on the walls all over the lots. You can't miss them.

And yes. Park between the lines. Don't take 2 spaces. That's a BIG no no there because of limited room during the school year. I used to write tons of tickets for that. As well as for my pet peeve...non handicapped in handicapped spaces. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Ryan...you were wrong about Madison. It was a very good show as well.

Also...this is a dead horse. As it was in Madison and for several years before that.

If you want to perform to an empty stadium on Finals week...join II/III should be the motto.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and the attempt to get the word out.

I'm done championing II/III. They have done NOTHING to elevate their standing in this activity. They do not promote themselves well and they do not connect with the core (corps) drum corps fan. Those are just the facts.

Sorry I'm being a little rain cloud today...but II/III needs to wake up and decide what they are to become. It's most likely too late. Expect announcements from Jersey and possibly Spartans about a move up next year. Where does that leave Div. II?

It's time for a more radical approach...it has nothing to do with the on the field products which are generally better than they have ever been.

It's not about the members...that's been too much the focus for too many years. It shouldn't be about the members and their development. It should be about finding and drawing an audience. And what's apparent is that audience IS NOT Div. I fans. They don't make the effort and will not make the effort. I'm sure the beaches were packed yesterday with fans going Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. How many fans were in attendance at Pasadena Community College? And to think...someone actually posted their worries that the stadium would be too small.

So, thanks for your efforts on behalf of DCIs dying circuit. It's on life support now and hospice has been called. I am already looking for a cemetary plot.

Ryan...you were wrong about Madison. It was a very good show as well.

Also...this is a dead horse. As it was in Madison and for several years before that.

If you want to perform to an empty stadium on Finals week...join II/III should be the motto.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and the attempt to get the word out.

I'm done championing II/III. They have done NOTHING to elevate their standing in this activity. They do not promote themselves well and they do not connect with the core (corps) drum corps fan. Those are just the facts.

Sorry I'm being a little rain cloud today...but II/III needs to wake up and decide what they are to become. It's most likely too late. Expect announcements from Jersey and possibly Spartans about a move up next year. Where does that leave Div. II?

It's time for a more radical approach...it has nothing to do with the on the field products which are generally better than they have ever been.

It's not about the members...that's been too much the focus for too many years. It shouldn't be about the members and their development. It should be about finding and drawing an audience. And what's apparent is that audience IS NOT Div. I fans. They don't make the effort and will not make the effort. I'm sure the beaches were packed yesterday with fans going Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. How many fans were in attendance at Pasadena Community College? And to think...someone actually posted their worries that the stadium would be too small.

So, thanks for your efforts on behalf of DCIs dying circuit. It's on life support now and hospice has been called. I am already looking for a cemetary plot.

WELL THANK YOU FOR YOUR LESS THAN INTELLIGENT REVIEW OF THE DIVII/III COMMUITY. I'M SURE THE 27 + CORPS THAT ARE DIVII/III ARE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR ASSESMENT. I ,FOR ONE KNOW #### WELL THAT OUR CONTEST A WEEK AGO WAS PROMETED BY THREE NEWSPAPER ARTICLES OVER THE SUMMER AND A HALF HOUR RADIO SHOW THE WEEK BEFORE AND YOU KNOW WHAT ? IT DIDN'T WORK ! KNOW WHY OH I DON'T KNOW HOW ABOUT TWO DIV I SHOWS WITHIN AN HOUR AND A HALF OF OURS WITHIN TWO DAYS OF OURS. ADD TO THAT A DIV II/III SHOW ADDED AN HOUR AND A HALF AWAY WITHIN A DAY AND BAKERSFIELD (neither of thelast two were on the table when we agreed to have ours). and you know what? IT IS ABOUT THE MEMBERS IT MUST ALWAYS BE ABOUT THE MEMBERS THEY , ARE WHO WE WORK FOR! THEY ARE WHO WE EXIST FOR.

SO GO WATCH YOUR THREE DIV I SHOWS A YEAR AND LIVE IT UP .BUT REMEMBER NEARLY 20% OF THE DIV I MEMBERS COME FROM DIV II/III . ALREADY WELL TRAINED AND CAPABLE where will these people come from WITHOUT DIV II/III ? NOT YOUR HOUSE I'M GUESSIN'

WELL THANK YOU FOR YOUR LESS THAN INTELLIGENT REVIEW OF THE DIVII/III COMMUITY. I'M SURE THE 27 + CORPS THAT ARE DIVII/III ARE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR ASSESMENT. I ,FOR ONE KNOW #### WELL THAT OUR CONTEST A WEEK AGO WAS PROMETED BY THREE NEWSPAPER ARTICLES OVER THE SUMMER AND A HALF HOUR RADIO SHOW THE WEEK BEFORE AND YOU KNOW WHAT ? IT DIDN'T WORK ! KNOW WHY OH I DON'T KNOW HOW ABOUT TWO DIV I SHOWS WITHIN AN HOUR AND A HALF OF OURS WITHIN TWO DAYS OF OURS. ADD TO THAT A DIV II/III SHOW ADDED AN HOUR AND A HALF AWAY WITHIN A DAY AND BAKERSFIELD (neither of thelast two were on the table when we agreed to have ours). and you know what? IT IS ABOUT THE MEMBERS IT MUST ALWAYS BE ABOUT THE MEMBERS THEY , ARE WHO WE WORK FOR! THEY ARE WHO WE EXIST FOR.

SO GO WATCH YOUR THREE DIV I SHOWS A YEAR AND LIVE IT UP .BUT REMEMBER NEARLY 20% OF THE DIV I MEMBERS COME FROM DIV II/III . ALREADY WELL TRAINED AND CAPABLE where will these people come from WITHOUT DIV II/III ? NOT YOUR HOUSE I'M GUESSIN'

Thanks for the ALL CAPS blah blah blah in denial blah blah blah.

Mark...be angry...that's good. Take it out on me...that's terrific. I never said anything that isn't true. Enough of this slathering buttercreme all over II/III and trying to make the problems go away.

The shows are so much better than they have been in the past. Here's the problem and it's not DCIs fault. They are taking very good care of their MEMBER CORPS since we like the CAPS LOCK key today.

Div. II/III has ZERO leadership. NO executive director. NO ONE looking out for the well being of those corps.

No one is going to see II/III comparatively because II/III has allowed us not to really care about you in any great degree.

You've built the II/III activity to benefit the kids and not the audience. Who goes to AYSO matches? Parents. Because it's about the kids. Same is true with II/III. The hard and true Div. I drum corps fan doesn't sober up on a Saturday morning to go watch Impulse....they hit the beach.

Sorry for the dose of realism. Hard to swallow when you are blaming everyone else for YOUR problems.

We made a detour to Bakersfield on teh way home from Stanford Sunday to catch the Div II/III show...missed the first couple because the ticket booth didn;t take plastic and I had to walk around the campus to get cash...but I caught everyone from the middle of Racine Scouts on. some very nice programs out there....sound projection sucked.

I was hoping to go to Div II/III prelims, but could not take time off of work....however, I;m taking Friday off for Div 1 semis, so I'll be there for Div II/III semis (will miss their finals due to work...will probably be lucky to make it to the stadium for the first div I finals corps).

Which structure do they want you to park in...the one next to the stadium, or can you park in one of the other ones on the other side of campus if needed?