Average Corps Age

LoL ok...thats all I was looking for.

No need to treat me with any disrespect tho. Im not "making excuses" for any other corps, im not "bashing" people who are older, nor am I "bashing" people that are younger.

I was simply asking if there might be a direct relation between winning groups, and "younger aged" members.

I have now been on both sides. I marched DCA before DCI, and now im back to DCA. Im not hatin on anyone.

Anyone who is truley offended by anything I have said for whatever reason. Join me for a beer in Rochachacha.

:mmm:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I got it for sure. Keith just turned 50 and Dennis is 49 almost 50. Still raises the average age of the Tuba section almost 10 years! I mean no dissrespect I hope I can still march Contra when im 50!

BUT! to get back to the real subject here...

What YOU are saying...is that clearly the corps who are "stacking" their ranks with younger members, indeed have an advantage.

I'm now quite sure who is saying what, where right now, but help me out -

I dont think there is any DCA affiliated corps out there who has an abundance of membership and/or is consciously filling their sections with younger members - they work with whatever comes through the door, young or old. Sure, most of the corps do recruit from the younger populations, ie band programs, but they also don't discount alumni or 'guys off the street' as equally valuable members. In my experiences, the only time a younger member may be slotted in a position over an older person might be if the older one is simply not cutting the parts or demonstrates a lack of committment and the younger can - that typically happens well after numbers are set, IMO, and not as a deliberate 'scheme' to create a younger corps.

"Stacking" is a deliberate act - what you may be talking about is simply an observation of circumstance.

The minimum age of 12 is a good thing. Clearly, it would be wrong to ask a 10 month old boy to carry the #5 bass drum! b**bs

It's fantastic Mike that you're still going strong with Cabs! Brass had a guy named Dick who marched contra/tuba up until around 2003 ... when he was 72! ... 72 and marching Tuba!!!!!

Thanks Brasssop, but I didn't mean to make this about me. I was just trying to say that based on my experience, the CABS, which are often cited as having a young corps, show no evidence of a policy of selection of young players over old.

Mike Risley

In general terms, I think average age has an impact but not for the obvious reasons one might suspect. I believe it all comes down to conditioning and I'm sure there are numerous examples of members in their 40's and 50's who were stronger marchers than younger members.

When I marched in 2005 and 2006 at the age of 50 and 51, I feel I held my own with the rest of the hornline. But, I also know that it was much more difficult to do certain things than when I was in my 20's. I simply don't have the flexability at this age. Part of the issue is the availability of time to train. When you have a family and a carreer, there simply isn't the time available to allow you to allocate all the time you would like to training. For the typical middle aged member, there isn't the time available to do the training needed to maintain the strength and flexability that we enjoyed as young men and women. I think this is particularly true of the guard and battery.

It's a good thing Curt that we're not tabulating average corps height. Your 6'7 number would throw Brass's mean way off!

If my memory serves correct without looking, yes there is. 12 years old, if I recall.

Apparently then, labeling DCA as "All-age" is a misnomer. I hereby declare DCA, "Most-age". :P

Hope you're well Bill.

Edited by Brassop

LoL ok...thats all I was looking for.

No need to treat me with any disrespect tho. Im not "making excuses" for any other corps, im not "bashing" people who are older, nor am I "bashing" people that are younger.

I was simply asking if there might be a direct relation between winning groups, and "younger aged" members.

I have now been on both sides. I marched DCA before DCI, and now im back to DCA. Im not hatin on anyone.

Anyone who is truley offended by anything I have said for whatever reason. Join me for a beer in Rochachacha.

:mmm:

I gathered that you're simply intrigued by the possible affects of the recent influx of younger members to Renegades.

I think we might be up to a whole 3 now!

Woo.

Trevor is right. I think we have 3 members of the hornline under 20, 2 of them almost 20.

Betsy and I just ran the numbers on the 2007 Baritone line and our average age is 38 1/4. 3 in mid 20s, 6 in 30s (mostly late 30s), 6 in 40s, and one in 50s. AND there's not a single Renegade rookie in the line.