The Cadets at Quarterfinals

I like how one view of the story is shaking everyone's faith in this activity. What if when Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Acheson went off the field to discuss what had happened Mr. Acheson told Mr. Hopkins that they were reviewing the decision and Mr. Hopkins just wanted an explaination. Maybe he was ready to take the penalty?

It would quite possibly be the first time somebody went storming after the executive director of their competitive circuit with the message that they intend to accept their result without complaint.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BY this time in the season the members no longer aim for "dots" they know where they should be and it should not mattere whether they have freakin hashmarks or not. This is a black day for DCI and Hop just gained even more disdain from the loyal fans of DCI

I as well as others most def aim for dots. Who are you kidding.

If a huge sink hole opened up on the field between two different corps shows, should the next corps be penalized? I mean afterall, they didn't step off on time? Should a corps be penalized because of the fault of the field or property? Think back to Candlestick Park & the series!!

Should a corps director wait until step off to complain and correct a hash mark? Hence a timing penalty.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

It's not THEIR fault.

If the previous corps were happy with the field condition at 80%, fine. The Cadets' weren't.

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp:

But if they were told they would suffer a timing penalty if they chose to repaint the lines, then there is a MAJOR problem.

Honestly, I would feel the same about anyone that did it. Any extra animosity for Hopkins is because of the reputation he already has. He makes himself a lightning rod for criticism while few, if any, other directors choose to do the same. I wouldn't approve of any director doing what he did tonight. I didn't approve of the big finger Dave St. Angel gave (memorably) back in 1992 (I think it was), for instance.

That's cool you feel that way, but I doubt many others would feel the same. I agree GH could have handled that differently. But he did it the way he did it probably because he was angry, although I don't know because I was not down on the field. But the heat that he always gets does not put doubt in my mind that if it were anyone else who would have done that, they would not have gotten the same heat as GH is getting tonight.

It's not THEIR fault.

If the previous corps were happy with the field condition at 80%, fine. The Cadets' weren't.

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp:

There ya go! w/Stp:

Edited by harrold99

This is DCI showing how weak they are becoming. If they are going to allow points to be given back then we should just give the judges back their money and send them home because it's not even worth it. Points aren't everything, DCI needs some new direction, and George needs to get whatever it is out of his ### and just let his kids march a good show.

The fact that the field was in terrible condition shows a lack of responsibility on DCI's part.

This is what happens when the CEO of an organization (Acheson) answers to a Board of Directors who are all directly involved with the competing corps. If it were an independent board (not the executive directors of the corps) there wouldn't be such a conflict of interest.

My guess it was there to cover the "UCLA" logo.

No, the green patch was about 30 yards across and off center from top to bottom

I wasn't there but from what I'm gathering, the people involved made their decisions and should have to live with them. Hop decided to pull his kids off the field knowing full well that a penalty could be assesed. DCI made the decision to give The Cadets a penalty and announced the scores. That's what happened, wrong or not.

My question is....

What if this was finals night? The scores would have been announced, medals awarded, ceremonies, celebrations, etc. And then 2 hours later they would have changed their mind and taken the penalty away??? No way! They would have had to stick with the decision they made earlier.