The Cadets at Quarterfinals

Should a corps director wait until step off to complain and correct a hash mark? Hence a timing penalty.

WHEN should he have checked then?

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp:

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopkins does a good job looking out for his corps, but any reputation he may have he has brought on himself.

tonight was a prime example.

I would have expected Regiment to get a penalty if they had pulled the same thing.

Just like he has the reputation of fielding one of the most excellent corps in DCI, but he doesn't get a lot of credit for that.

I know this may sound weird, but i was talking to my friend on the phone about it and he said, you know what... Compare Hopkins to George Bush. Now Bush has made some crazy decisions (like going to war in Iraq) cuz he thought we were in danger. At first it was a good idea, now its a different story. We have the whole world hating Americans for the "so called Weapons of mass destruction", and who do we have to blame but Bush. Thankfully we have elections and laws and we can change leadership to remedy mishaps and blunders that the Bush administration has left us. Now its time for Cadets to do the same... Hopkins has made some pretty rash decisions and his corps has been affected by it for almost three years now (as far as contraversy). The drum corps community will continue to view the organization (mostly Hopkins) how the rest of the world views Bush. Unfortunately for them, they can't impeach the director.

If not then these two corps now have a major gripe and the integrity of the scoring process is now in jeopardy.

Given the nature of the activity and the way DCI works, I'm not sure that their approval of it means it is the right way to run things. There would be political factors involved and nobody likely wants to deal with George Hopkins hating them when the board gets back together after the season.

When I marched, members of our visual staff would check at least corps or two in front of us to see how the field looked. For other shows that were notorious to having bad field lining (don't want to name Championship caliber corps names who often had horribly lined fields for their home shows), our staff would check immediately and reline the field personally if they had to.

But if they were told they would suffer a timing penalty if they chose to repaint the lines, then there is a MAJOR problem.

AGAIN, you're ASSUMING. Just beacuse Mr. Hopkins got mad at the penalty doesn't mean he influenced the judges and officials and other corps directors. I myself will wait to hear an OFFICIAL statement.

Sean

w/Stp:

Wow. I really have to answer this one for you?

how about prior to coming onto the field? :beer:

In Charlotte, he was checking the field after each corps performed because of a thunderstorm that came through earlier that evening

What if this was finals night? The scores would have been announced, medals awarded, ceremonies, celebrations, etc. And then 2 hours later they would have changed their mind and taken the penalty away??? No way! They would have had to stick with the decision they made earlier.

Most people would say that it is different because it ISN"T finals.

But still, shouldn't it all be the same?

Sean

w/Stp:

before he brought the corps out.

When I taught we always had an instructor take a look at the field while the previous corps was on, and that was more than 10 years ago.

It would not have been difficult for Hopkins to have handled this in a MUCH better way.