The Cadets at Quarterfinals

This is now on DCI's website:

Putting it on ‘the line’: Cadets’ two point penalty withdrawn

Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:52 AM

Brief controversy was sparked during the 2007 Drum Corps International World Championship Quarterfinals on Aug. 8, when director George Hopkins, concerned for the safety of his corps performers, indicated that the hash marks were not visible on the field prior to his corps’ performance. A 15 minute delay followed until the lines were repainted at Rose Bowl Stadium.

All corps directors agreed at a Wednesday night meeting in preparation for the DCI World Championships that the field painting schedule would allow for the lines and hashes to be refreshed only during each of the scheduled breaks.

Based on that agreement the initial reaction of Drum Corps International Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, the Cadets were penalized two points for delay of contest. As all facts came forth, however, it was clear that while the yard lines were painted during the second break the hash marks had not been.

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Turf managers at the Rose Bowl Stadium were quick to respond to the situation and have agreed to a more frequent painting schedule, which will eliminate similar issues for the remaining nights of Division I competition.

“Drum Corps International would like to formally apologize to the members of the Cadets, their staff and their fans for any misconception based on actions of Thursday evening,” said Acheson. “All decisions were made on strict interpretation of the rules, but once the facts were in, the withdrawal of the penalty was seen as the appropriate option.”

(emphasis added)

I am applauding George for speaking up his corps members . . . I believe he did the right thing.

check out the part in bold. so was there a scheduled painting break after cavies? george agrees to this wednesday night and then thursday night it's a whole different story?

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check out the part in bold. so was there a scheduled painting break after cavies? george agrees to this wednesday night and then thursday night it's a whole different story?

They meant the one before the blue knight came up...according to many i heard from that was at the show...they didn't paint the hash marks during break...they did the yard lines...

they were suppose to re-hash in between BK and BAC but this did not happen...

If the hash marks were re done during that time then I do not think there would be a problem......

Simple fact - DCI dropped the ball on this.

When making the determination for the location of the 2007 World Championship, assurances should have been made as to ensure the best condition of the field. Was this done? I have to also ask if DCI had checked out the field prior to Finals Week. Obviously not. The problems with the field should have been addressed.

I am also concerned that for at least the second time in its history, DCI reversed a signifigant penalty during the Championships that will possibly play into how Finals ends up. What is the point of having rules and regulations if they are not going to be enforced? Yes, the field was terrible, yet 15 other corps had gone on that field. While Hopkins is concerned about his members, he should have realized that his corps would be penalized for not going on time (in some ways he is lucky that the judges did not DQ the Cadets). Once was bad enough, but now there is a precident that I think will bite back at DCI

I think that there needs to be some serious discussion at the DCI Winter Meetings. Forget about any debate about woodwinds or electronics. I think DCI needs to step back and take a good long look at itself. The whole reason DCI (or the Combine as it was called) was created to address the problems that resulted from AL/VFW days. DCI has apparantely become the very thing it was trying to fight. DCI needs to make sure that the season is fair for ALL corps involved.

Whether you agree or disagree with what happen at Quarterfinals, it simply should have never gotten to this point.

Dead nuts with that post!

As I read all the contraversy this morning, the FIRST thing that popped into my mind was, how could this possibly happen? Repainting the field? Sounds kind of 1930s doesnt it? Should have left Finals in Madison, Indy, or anywhere with astroturf. This would have NEVER happened. Then to have the pre-determined "Painting rules" totally blown off by DCI. Shame shame. ^0^

Were the hash marks visible when Cavies performed? They still won visual with , most likely, the same visibiity. Just curious.

they were suppose to re-hash in between BK and BAC but this did not happen...

If the hash marks were re done during that time then I do not think there would be a problem......

I can understand that, I'm just curious how it took so long for DCI or anyone to realize this? And why no one else had a problem with it?

but it wasnt it was a stupid white line which in DCI i have rehersed plenty of times without and i have played a show even with two sets of hashes on the field which is alot more confusing then none. Saftey my but, there not gonna die with no hash marks.. cavies marched circles around them and still had worst field conditions. a penalty was justly made and unfairly deleated AFTER the show was well over. thats like teh day after finals finding out Acheson decided to give the 2nd place corps first. ITS BS.

Amen.

The Cavaliers may be known for their marching, but not this year. They were filthy.

According to the judges, you are incorrect. Cavaliers took high visual even with bad hash marks. Regarding their placement, it looks to me that they are still within inches of catching Cadets. Its not like Cadets blew away Cavaliers. BD is a different story. I'm not sure if they will be caught this year. Congrats to Blue Devils!!