Semifinals judging

I was weary of the low Crown guard score. I have a feeling it will bounce back up tonight. Best guards are Phantom, Crown, and Cavies (not necessarily in that order on any given day).

I think there needs to be 2 Visual GE and 2 Music GE judges. I think these judges have too much power. 2 judges control 40% of a final score, while 7 (2 perc. judges) control 60%. This is ridiculous.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how the Blue Knights swept most of the percussion events at I & E? Do you see that reflected in their score?

Concept of "individual or small group standing still in front of an audience", meet "34 percussionists playing in ensemble while hauling arse across a field."

Excellence in one doesn't indicate success in the other. Historically, winners have come from as many lower ranked corps as the top echelon corps. AND some of the top echelon corps discourage participation, making it an unrepresentative sampling.

In any case, the rankings might be frustrating for some, but the relative number spreads are tight enough to indicate that in a lot of cases, there's no clear favorite in any caption. That's all a GOOD thing, imho, as it indicates that the instruction and performing talent is being spread wider throughout the activity.

Edited by mobrien

I'm thinking that if I'm that 32 year-old person in ten years whose corps got hosed by the judges at finals and my corps got screwed during my age-out year, then yes--I think the placement just might diminish my enjoyment of watching that show again.

JMO. :worthy:

Really? I doubt it works that way for most people, but I could be wrong. They might lament that, to some degree, but watching the show will more likely remind them of all the good things from tour and not about scores/placements.

merged with CROWN colorguard thread

I'm thinking that if I'm that 32 year-old person in ten years whose corps got hosed by the judges at finals and my corps got screwed during my age-out year, then yes--I think the placement just might diminish my enjoyment of watching that show again.

JMO. :worthy:

You think so?

I disagree.

In 1991, there were a lot of folks who thought that we should have beaten the Cavaliers on Finals Night. We just about split the regular season with them, and at the last show before Finals Week (in Louisiana) we beat them. We had a flat quarters performance (might have had to do with the fact that there were no yard lines...anyone remember how faint those were?), had an ok semis performance, but really rocked on Saturday night, while Cavaliers had some cleanliness issues. A lot of people used to tell me we should have been second.

I've watched that 1991 show many times over the years, and after the first 3-4 years, I don't think I have ever thought "Man, we got screwed, I can't watch this performance anymore, it brings up too many bad memories." Quite the reverse.

I don't think any of the Star 1993 folks pass on watching a DVD of their show...do they?

Frankly, if you allow your placement to dictate your enjoyment of the merits of a show, whether you are 21, 31, or 41, then I feel sorry for you, because you missed the point.

P.S. "You" was meant as the Royal you, not YOU personally.

I was weary of the low Crown guard score. I have a feeling it will bounce back up tonight. Best guards are Phantom, Crown, and Cavies (not necessarily in that order on any given day).

I think there needs to be 2 Visual GE and 2 Music GE judges. I think these judges have too much power. 2 judges control 40% of a final score, while 7 (2 perc. judges) control 60%. This is ridiculous.

ehhh... sorry but Regiment & Crown's guards had very off nights on Semi's

Cavaliers had the best guard overall the first two nights - last night Cadets guard was also on fire