Oregon Crusaders...

A couple of people had approached me and inquired about this situation, but I was unaware of any previous discussions about this guy on DCP or if there was any "agreement" between DCI and OC. Rules are pretty clear--the horn he was using was "illegal", HOWEVER, I would venture to guess the last thing you want to do is penalize a corps for being big, bad and brave enough like OC to have this stellar performer in their show. Unfortunately, it's the day and age of this society, but had DCI wanted to get tough with the rules and give them the penalty, I probably venture to guess the line of attorneys lining up outside of the OC offices to defend the corps under ADA guidelines would stretch quite a distance.

BIG TIME CONGRATS TO OC and to this wonderful performer!!! I could tell he was working his tail off out there...and he truly IS a CRUSADER!!

BRAVO!!!

OC was granted permission to 'break' the DCI rule and use a concert euphonium, and Lukas was permitted to use his mechanical device (an electromagnetic piston system operated with a joystick) in order to play.

And there you go....good call on DCI's part...EVERYONE wins this way!

After reading teh article...I hadn't even made teh connection between Lukas performing in OC and at the Concord show...good call by BD!

You could not find a more remarkable, intelligent and thoughtful young man than Lukas. His heart and spirit outweigh that wheelchair and baritone by a metric ton. He has been a fantastic asset to the organization. A true leader.

Phil

I read abour Lukas a few weeks here on DCP a few weeks prior to the Spokane, WA show. I had a chance to watch and listen to him play......... He is a deffinate asset to the OC and can play a mean horn too....... A true professional!!!!!!!

Now for a tech question....CorpsReps has a good pic of Lukas playing....and more importantly, a good view of his horn.

I can see the mechanics that push the valves, but how is HE triggering them??? I couldn't see by the pic.

Yeah, he is a good kid...i had the pleasure of teaching him in high school. I don't remember one day when he didn't have a smile on his face. I don't think we ever got him into the drill at Mead, he would just play on the sidelines. As good a kid he is, its because he has very dedicated parents. They traveled to every show and helped him along. I don't think i've ever seen anyone more devoted to their son then they are.

Now for a tech question....CorpsReps has a good pic of Lukas playing....and more importantly, a good view of his horn.

I can see the mechanics that push the valves, but how is HE triggering them??? I couldn't see by the pic.

I believe they are on his chair's joystick.

• 2 months later...
I believe they are on his chair's joystick.

Yes there is a joy stick on his chair. Lukas is one of the coolest guys ever, and marching with him was just awesome!

He is an AMAZING player (chair, joystick and all) :blink: Sweetest and coolest guy EVER!

~Arryn (OC)