Three Lessons for THE ACADEMY Fans

If my forum name did not denote that I was a mom, I doubt my post would have elicited the responses that it did!!!

No, I have to say that I didn't even notice your posting ID. What stood out to me was the fact that you, and apparently several other people, feel compelled to lecture Academy on what they should or should not do, when it's quite apparent, if you'll bother to read some of the explanations, that what they did this year was well-planned, and the rationale for the way they did things was to serve the best interests of their corps, and do so in a sustainable way. I really can't find anything to criticize in that, and I'm amazed that other people can.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cascades are NOT a Regional Div 1 Corps..nor have they been. Factoring them into that equation is invalid.

Until this year, yes they were. Of course they would make a tour that headed to finals in prior years. This year they did start out in the Midwest, headed East, then South and then back to Cali. Nice tour ... all 22 shows :P I'm sure if I were one that based touring on the number of shows ... as some on here do .. they would be considered part of the REGIONAL Touring Program.

The underlying problem in all of this for the "fan$" is that some feel a Div 1 corps should be ready to go "out of the blocks". Fact, there has only been 1 corps in history that has made Open Class / Div 1 finals in their first year of existence. Only 1 other corps has made Div 1 finals their first year as a Div 1 corps (unless I'm mistaken).

For the record, you are correct. Obviously, that's Star of Indiana, and I really believe theirs is an achievement that will not be duplicated. The corps that held the record, before Star, as the highest-placing first-year corps was Spirit of Atlanta, who placed 23rd their first year out in 1977, then climbed to an incredible sixth-place finish the following year.

I can't believe we're still discussing Academy's tour options! I guess we should start complaining because they didn't fold and will be around to compete next year because of them being fiscally responsible?

The interesting thing is, every single judge that I spoke to specifically about Academy's touring schedule said they wished MORE corps would take advantage of the regional tour option that DCI provides and can't believe what an uproar this has caused. In fact, one judge bluntly said that these people complaining should start their own corps or join Academy's BoD since they seem to have all the answers on how to tour cheaply. Basically, put up or shut up.

Hi Randy!

Yeah, this is pretty silly, basing a corps' division on the number or location of their shows instead of on how good they are.

Regional touring. There have ALWAYS been corps that only travel to one region other than their own. We Californians travelled to compete with them for years. That argument doesn't work.

Number of shows. There is no rule that says you have to go to a certain number of shows. If you think there should be, please take your idea to a corps director for a potential rules change.

Beating a dead horse some more. Forget beating.

This thread has gone nuclear.

What a waste of good thread space.

<**> <**> :(

I wouldn't call it a waste. In fact, it's been pretty educational (if you're actually interested in being educated on the subject). <--- not directed at you.

i heard that they are arrogant, even when members from other corps go out of their way to meet people from their corps...

what a way to get support from people who have been in the activity longer than their corps has existed. Just from one impression of the corps from the way their members act and carry themselfs, it sickens me that they feel that they should be respected when they don't show their respect in the activity.

just a summer observation. Good job Spirit

I have no affiliation with the Academy, but I do live in Arizona so I have had the opportunity to observe them on several occasions, and I must say that I have never witnessed a trace of arrogance or unfriendliness. As far as I can tell, they and their director seem like very nice people and the very personification of humility and professionalism.

So, a handful of new and inexperienced fans voiced irrational expectations? Oh, the horror! We'd better rush in and humiliate them quickly before DCI gets any new fans. Whatever isolated experiences others may have had, I found myself swimming in Academy fans at the Phoenix show and heard nothing of the sort. I didn't see any bitterness or crying in Pasadena either.

I can easily understand how enthusiastic fans could get carried away with positive expectations. It is difficult to fathom, however, why anyone would be so obsessed with 'putting them in their place.' Every mother thinks their baby is cute, but is it really necessary to tell them when you disagree?

You heard it, but do you know that for a fact? Did you actually experience arrogance from any of the corps members? I don't agree with the characterizations described in the original post, but at least that poster offered a first-person account, as opposed to second- or third-hand hearsay.

shared housing site in san antonio

I will also say that I stood in the tunnel when they left the field on Friday night, and heard a number of the guard and horn line wish Spirit a great show. That's class!!! If only many of their fans could be as classy as the marching members, much of the debate we've had over the last several weeks wouldn't have occurred.

-----------------

Funny, but the above quote came from the same guy who started this "thread" talking about Academy "honks" and then "That Guy with the Hat" comes in here and makes that statement a few posts above this one about how Academy kids have no class.

I'd say that argument was pretty weak when the self-described "savior" of Academy and their fans says he personally witnessed tremendous class and grace in their ranks. CAse closed on the "Academy kids have no class" argument.