Why did DCI choose Pasadena?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thinking this right now, but why did they choose Pasadena's field for Finals? I mean if you haven't seen the field.....it's complete garbage

(photo taken from bluedevils.org)

boston4.jpg

Was this really the best you could do DCI? :unsure: I'm just wondering why they would choose a field in such poor shape

I'm guessing they wanted to make the west coast fans happy.

And plus, when the Blue Devils win, it'll make it all that much better for them.

=)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thinking this right now, but why did they choose Pasadena's field for Finals? I mean if you haven't seen the field.....it's complete garbage

(photo taken from bluedevils.org)

boston4.jpg

Was this really the best you could do DCI? :unsure: I'm just wondering why they would choose a field in such poor shape

The field might not look nice but has it really impacted any of the performances? (other than the hash marks)

They chose Pasadena because:

1. It's on the west coast

2. Located near lots of things to do (Universal, Disney, LA, Hollywood)

3. Because LA has better weather than we do here in the Midwest this time of the year--or anytime of the year.

4. Because DCI Finals has NEVER been held out west

5. Probably because Pasadena has been great to DCI, was able to accommodate their needs, spacing issues and hotel issues, etc.

Essentially there is more that goes into it than just the best looking field. The corps are doing fine. I was in Orlando in 2003. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The field was horrible, but the corps did great. It's about watching the corps and also having a good time in the city with fun things to do.

I know for me, and I am only 42 now, the last thing I am concerned about is the field when I think about going to finals. As long as the field is safe. I want a good experience, places to visit, attractions, etc. I just can't go somewhere and watch drum corps 24/7 for an entire week and not enjoy a vacation of sorts. This is why Orlando to me was fun. More to do, easy to navigate, easy to find places to stay and eat, lots of attractions. Indianapolis, with it's new field and closer location will actually be more trying for me because it's not exactly a major tourist attraction. Not a lot to do. Drink, sleep, drum corps. YEAH! My kind of vacation...NOT!

Trust me, when you get my age or older, you just don't find the same enjoyment hanging out in some midwest town spending all your time watching shows and not much else. I can take small does of that, but I really enjoy it when DCI goes somewhere like LA, Orlando, Boston, where there are lots of things to do.

Madison is nice in a sense that I can go hang in Chicago for a day or two the week of finals. If it were up to me I would rotate finals between the following cities:

Madison, New York or Boston, Orlando, Indianapolis, Denver, LA - then back to Madison

Edited by jwillis35

Not to get in your face about this. But Indianapolis has plenty of things to do. Its no Orlando or LA but there is things everywhere. You just have to get around the town to see what's out there. The downtown area is an awesome atmosphere. Indy is kinda like the marching band capital. From ISSMA State Finals which produces some big contenders for BOA, BOA Finals, and now DCI Finals and the DCI Headquarters. One more thing is that the new stadium is going to be awesome. Retractable roof and sides and even more seats than the RCA DOME. I'm looking forward to DCI Finals 08 becuase it will be my first year in DCI and it will be nice to march in finals in my home state.

Not to get in your face about this. But Indianapolis has plenty of things to do. Its no Orlando or LA but there is things everywhere. You just have to get around the town to see what's out there. The downtown area is an awesome atmosphere. Indy is kinda like the marching band capital. From ISSMA State Finals which produces some big contenders for BOA, BOA Finals, and now DCI Finals and the DCI Headquarters. One more thing is that the new stadium is going to be awesome. Retractable roof and sides and even more seats than the RCA DOME. I'm looking forward to DCI Finals 08 becuase it will be my first year in DCI and it will be nice to march in finals in my home state.

I have to admit, I'm kind of envious of everybody who's going to get to march on that Lucas Oil field. Might be the closest to Nirvana your feet will get to. :D

My personal opinion is that it all comes down to what Pasadena brought to the table and how accomodating they were. I am not out there, and have not talked to any members, fans, or staff, but I would hazard a guess that for everything but the actual show at the stadium that everything is pretty good there. That the community is really welcome, etc. As to the actual venue...meh! Only there once.

Not to bring in the all-age discussion, but something of the same ilk is happening on the DCA side. Great community in Rochester, great support around town, less then stellar stadium. And unseeable lines? Try marching after a hurricane rips through. Hell, what about as it rips through. My hats off to GH for sticking to what is important and making sure his kids had a safe experience. I wish more of us in DCA had stood up like he did on Thursday night.

There's plenty to do in Indianapolis. Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune Travel Section from earlier this week (August 5th):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-i...0,6607846.story

All it takes is a little research to have a good time.