Thank you Cadets

this thread needs to die. I'm done with the cadets narration crap this year. I don't want to give them anymore attention, positive or negative. It's time to move on folks.

Good. Then leave.

We won't miss you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in May and early June much of what I heard and saw online about this show I did not like. I was almost ready to find another new favorite corps. Then as things progressed in June I started to feel it a bit more, even though the show and the script was still a mess in spots. Then they came to TX and I actually started to like parts of it seeing it live. I saw the potential and knew then that this show should win if they kept tweaking it. Then, Friday night came and my wife and I sat here in front of the computer watching the webcast and we couldn't believe how much the show had evolved. It is amazing! This has got to be one of the most improved corps ever in terms of improving the design over the summer. The hornline, the guard, the drumline, and everything about the show was finally championship quality all the way. Sorry you guys did not come out on top. . . .shockingly, but congrats and many thanks on an amazing summer of performing for us!

The Cadets this year were a study in precision. I sincerely hope that the guys/gals in the corps had fun, and I also hope that their design team makes more prudent choices in the future.

:blink:

A lot of people in the band I was teaching asked my how I felt about the Cadets show after the quarters broadcast. My response? I hated just about everything about the design, heck, people that were big BOA narration advocates thought it was way over the line. HOWEVER, the members were beyond incredible. I absolutely loved that hornline, and was blown away by their execution. I hated the show, but was pulling for them to win - and I really thought they could pull it off.

The corps did an amazing job, regardless of how I felt about the product, I will gladly say that it was incredible.

A lot of people in the band I was teaching asked my how I felt about the Cadets show after the quarters broadcast. My response? I hated just about everything about the design, heck, people that were big BOA narration advocates thought it was way over the line. HOWEVER, the members were beyond incredible. I absolutely loved that hornline, and was blown away by their execution. I hated the show, but was pulling for them to win - and I really thought they could pull it off.

The corps did an amazing job, regardless of how I felt about the product, I will gladly say that it was incredible.

True. The way I described my feelings all year was, "Yeah they have some awesome music and kickin' drill, but all the talking just isn't for me, if not for the talking I would love the show."

You guys did amazing this year... I was just awe-struck by the show... gave me chills too. Especially the end of Blue Shades... That was especially amazing. Keep it going Cadets! I'll be in the Brassline by '09... heheh.

Good job, folks.

The narration never worked for me, but that doesn't discount a great visual and horn book.

I'll be listening to this show (albeit in its non narrated preseason form) a lot over the off season.

Looking forward to next year.... :)

Most demanding????? When you have that many pauses to speak???? You must be joking.

Thanks to the Cadets for, Again, being trend setters and innovators for the pageantry activity. Indeed, there were times when the horn line or battery did not play...same is true for most of the other better corps as this speaks to their understanding of pacing.... programming the show to have ups and downs and places for the fabulous but human brass and percussion to rest the lips, breath deeply and then reenter the ensemble....can we give a little credit for visual ensemble here.... how masterfully the members pulled off what was a creative masterpiece, just like Devils and Cavies..... can we give a little credit and appreciation that they came into an environment that was already stacked against them (CA) and the MEMBERS layed it on the line. Give a little credit that when you approach a CADET, you are greeted with yes sir and no sir or ma'am, they stand up when they talk to you, they respect you because you are an adult..... Give some credit to a staff that is willing to push those with talent and potential into what we marvelled at all summer long. I love them and the Devils and the Cavies, but what sets them apart is their ability to put it on the line, time after time and at the same time grasp the concept of being THE history makers in the pageantry activity.

part 1

In 1984, I showed up for band camp at Kendrick High School in Columbus, GA and met my band director, Robert Deltoro for the first time. He was then and probably is now a drum corps junkie like I became to this day. Once you catch the bug, it’s hard to shake. Like a lot of band rooms at band camp time.. .and any other time for that matter, there was a television and VCR and in that VCR was video tape playing of the PBS broadcast of the 1983 DCI World Championships. I was hooked…. Line and sinker… for the most incredible thing I’d ever heard or seen that combined music and movement together into a brand of pageantry that boggles the mind. Since then I’ve marched for four years in high school at Kendrick High and then for my last year at the Blue Devil Brigade at Tift County High school in Tifton, GA. If I thought Mr. Deltoro was the biggest fan of great drum corps, then I met his rival in Rickey L. Savage, the assistant director at the time and instructor of the drumline. I spent a year as a member of the 1988 Spirit of Atlanta, staffed for many high school marching bands and winter guards, judged for marching band and local winter guards and even went back to the drum corps activity as a staff member. It was all good… and I have no regrets, but nothing could have prepared me for the range of emotions and pure exhileration that I would experience as an honorary member of the Cadets as the essay winner for the Cadets at Drums Along the Rockies on 28 JUL 07.

part 2

Writing to George and expressing my frustration at the negative commentary so many have hit the Cadets with, I planned to attend the show, revel in the glory or drum and bugle corps, pack the memories away and continue on to the business of my upcoming deployment to Iraq. What transpired on Friday the 27th changed my life as it relates to pageantry. I thought I knew a little about the Cadets. I thought I could gage greatness based on what happened on the field. I was wrong. I was notified that I had been selected as the essay contest winner and would be an honorary Cadet.

Knowing that the corps was in Castle Rock, CO, just north of where I live in Colorado Springs, I planned the entire day around attending rehearsals. I woke at about 4:30 am on Saturday and had to force myself to stay in bed until 6:00 am when I got up to get ready to go. Needless to say, there was a little anticipation and excitement leading up to the day. I arrived at Douglas County High School and was met by Mike Winkler, who gave me the lowdown on the day. Truly concerned about maximizing my day with the Cadets, Mike led me to the food truck and pointed out the schedule so that I could choose what to do. It was as if I was a part of the organization. It made me feel special from the start. I opted to go down on the field and watch the physical conditioning block being led by Joe Roche. Joe is a Soldier like me, and I could see his discipline and enthusiasm drawn from both his background with the Cadets as well as his leadership as a Soldier coming out during the block. It is very inspiring to see another Soldier able to be so involved with such a great corps.

I took some photos and moved up to the battery’s warm-up just outside the stadium. It was there that I met Jason, Colin and Chris who for lack of better words were conducting an “intense” warm-up for the snares and basses. I took more photos and listened to perfection in the making. I noticed that there was a broken snare head being changed…. And I wanted the old one to add to my wall in my home office as a momento of the day. I asked and the staff agreed that they would get the head signed by the battery and front ensemble. Almost 12 hours later, there was the head completed full of signatures being presented to me by the line. Like clockwork, a practice flag that was signed by the color guard was given to me by Jonathon Schwartz, the colorguard caption supervisor. He remembered a comment that I’d made to him 10 hours earlier about how nice it would be to have a momento of the day spent with the Cadets. I commented to him how wonderful it had been to see the guard up close… the energy and excitement. His reply was that he was so lucky to see it EVERY DAY. It makes you see clearly why there is such longevity in staff for the Cadets… it is the honor and pride to teach and craft the young people who make such a commitment to greatness.