Blue Devils Encore

Absolutely awesome encore! Point on about competition and when you play without any pressure, wow, does the lungs open up and blow. Interesting to note that DCI's webpage used a performance pic from the encore (notice no shakos worn).

Day after 1975 and 1976 DCI held in Philly, my old corps held an "audience response" (IOW no judges) show at Hershey. Show was billed as "a chance for the corps to perform their show one last time without the judges". Translation: Last chance for gas money on the way home.

Picture BD, Scouts, 1975 Muchachos, Kilites, etc cranking it up one last time without worrying about getting tic'ed. :blink: Some DCP people were at those shows and still remember them.

Moral: Exhibitions can be fun :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day after 1975 and 1976 DCI held in Philly, my old corps held an "audience response" (IOW no judges) show at Hershey. Show was billed as "a chance for the corps to perform their show one last time without the judges". Translation: Last chance for gas money on the way home.

Picture BD, Scouts, 1975 Muchachos, Kilites, etc cranking it up one last time without worrying about getting tic'ed. :blink: Some DCP people were at those shows and still remember them.

Moral: Exhibitions can be fun :)

The Hershey show was one of my best, and loudest, performances ... and most fun of any show that year!!!

And some say Bb hornlines aren't as loud as the glorious G's! Go figure. :blink:

I wish more corps would unleash it during their performances. Too much restraint out there! Let's blow some people back into their seat DURING the show!

I also wish these encore shows were recorded.

Edited by Tekneek

When I marched Spirit in the 80's, we had "show volume" and "exhibition volume".... That term had been passed down from some previous vets so I'm not sure if it was an "Ott term", a "Freddy term", (or maybe for any of you that marched it might well have been a "John Armstrong term" LOL) or just something the kids had come up with.

Sorry I missed seeing Devils perform with the pressure off. And I'm sure someone has a recording of it. I still have a recording someone made from '94 of the Lancers and the BD encore.

AA

When I marched Spirit in the 80's, we had "show volume" and "exhibition volume".... That term had been passed down from some previous vets so I'm not sure if it was an "Ott term", a "Freddy term", (or maybe for any of you that marched it might well have been a "John Armstrong term" LOL) or just something the kids had come up with.

I never heard that term from Jim (or Wayne), but we had the same sentiment ... "show volume" being "playing with the best quality, intonation, techniques, etc., to ensure the overall brass effect they were after", and "exhibition volume" being "have fun"!

I never heard that term from Jim (or Wayne), but we had the same sentiment ... "show volume" being "playing with the best quality, intonation, techniques, etc., to ensure the overall brass effect they were after", and "exhibition volume" being "have fun"!

I can second that - hi Jeff! hello to America's Sweetheart © too - the runthrough after finals in 77 was a true blast - every BD second run I've heard (and I've actually heard a good number of them) was con molto mucho huevos.

Take the lid off and let's see the chili!

regards - Jim

Yeah, that encore was pretty sweet. I missed the bus back to the housing site (rode the staff RV back) because I stayed to watch it, but oh well. It was worth it.

Did anyone else see the entire snareline conducting in the backfield?

Usually one drummer does it, but they all decided to join in for fun. It was pretty entertaining.

As for the show, it really packed the energy that I didn't get from their first performance. You could really see a lot of emotion from the newly named world champions without their shakos on.

Great Performance.

G

If you search hard enough, there's already video of the encore floating around out there...