Finals Attendance

2007 Finals crowd went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the edge of the end zones on both sides. Considering the "bowl" shape of this stadium, and the fact that it holds over 100,000 (?) total, I'd say this was probably the largest DCI Finals crowd ever! ^OO^

If you ever try to attend the Rose Bowl-- the football game-- you will discover-- the expen$ive way, dealing with resold tickets-- that a relatively very small number of seats in this stadium are between the 20s... or even between the goal lines, along the sidelines, I mean. The majority of seats in this stadium are lousy seats between the goal lines, in the end zones. If you've sold 45,000, half the house capacity of seats that get used, you've sold it halfway around each end zone. And they didn't do that.

The crowd did extend well past the goal lines Friday, when it normally does not, and especially on Saturday. But a chunk of those are giveaway seats-- kids who performed earlier in the week, etc.

I'm lousy at estimating crowds. I've attended 20 finals now (not Montreal, though), and this was the biggest finals crowd I can remember. I'd guess paid attendance over 30K, maybe well over, but not over 40K.

I do think one of the reasons why there were more people attending finals was because of the ticket prices. They were veeeeery reasonable. You could buy tickets for the whole family without taken a second mortgage. Here's a copy of a ticket from 1981;

dcitix1981.jpg

Yep, 1981 holds the record until official reports come out of the crowd attendance for 2007;

81Scoreboard.jpg

Why does my memory of 1981 "see" the jumbotron flashing 39,000 +/- in attendence? Pictures don't lie.

I got in for free - I was teaching 27th b**bs

Yeah, the revenue DCI pulled from these Championships probably will be a record high, given the ticket prices and good sales all week. Some folks worried that people would stop traveling if they could see Quarters in the theaters, Semis on the web, and Finals in ESPN. That could yet happen with a ten year run in one city, but the issue will be the ten year run, not just cannibalizing ticket sales.

2007 Finals crowd went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the edge of the end zones on both sides. Considering the "bowl" shape of this stadium, and the fact that it holds over 100,000 (?) total, I'd say this was probably the largest DCI Finals crowd ever! ^OO^

Watching online, It looked like semifinals attendance at the Rose Bowl was as large as last years finals in Madison. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Saturday nights attendance was at or past DCI's record finals attendance.

A big part of hte problem with the attendence numbers is the difference in how it has been determined over the years. Since 94, DCI has been releasing only the PAID attendence figures. In other years, the attendence figures were based on the butts in the seats. That includes the complementary seats, the members and staff that got in for free, etc. It's hard to compare.

The stadium did have a good sized crowd, no doubt. One thing that's hard to compare is that the single deck Rose Bowl has as many rows and the lower deck in Madison. The lower deck was not as full in Madison, but they did have good numbers in the upper deck as well. Overall, the number of butts in the seats looked about the same. If there were more paid tickets in the Rose Bowl, then that's a big win for DCI (since their budget is heavily dependent on the success of Championships). I'm sure DCI will release teh attendence figures soon enough. They have released them every year since 94.

Yes, it does hold over 100,000. They use the black tarp on both sides on the lower sections, because of poor sight for football games. That is why the listed capacity is 91,000 or whatever it is. But, it still does hold over 100,000.
Not it really doesn't. They did a reconfiguration some time ago and those tarps only cover about 4,000 seats.