Finals Attendance

Why does my memory of 1981 "see" the jumbotron flashing 39,000 +/- in attendence? Pictures don't lie.

I got in for free - I was teaching 27th b**bs

Maybe that's including all the corps participating....there were more corps back then.

I got in for free too.....I was performing. B)

Maybe that's including all the corps participating....there were more corps back then.

I got in for free too.....I was performing. B)

This may be right. Someone I spoke to in the stands told me that DCI used to count the attendance according to the number of people in the stadium. In a certain year they switched to paid attendance.

On the 1987 telecast/DVD Steve Rondinaro said attendance was around 40k or more. Was that ever confirmed? That was at Cramp Randall in Madison.

Yes, I said "Cramp".

A couple of years ago, I wrote to a friend who works for DCI and asked him, what year holds the attendance record......he said 1981.

I was told tonight by someone in the know that tonight's finals audience was the largest single event crowd in DCI History. They expect the number to be in the high 30's, probably a little over 40k. Highest number to date is in the mid 20's.

Dear DCI, When attendance sucks in Indiana, feel free to give us a ring again...

I had heard that they had 25K pre-sold for Finals. Not sure of the walkup and any freebies but you're right, the crowd seemed larger than previous years.

I talked to a friend who was working with DCI this past week last night. His estimation (as no final tallies are available yet) was probably a little over 25k paid, probably around 30k in attendance.

People showed up...ill give them that. Note to self, dont get cheap seats...i got tired of hearing BK called bluecoats, confusion at blooing, 'ohh...they dont have any girls' for cavies, and other random newbie mistakes. Its teh finalz...I can has a clue?

I know you're a new age-out, but that stuff ALWAYS happens at every show (even finals). I had amazing seats on the 50 right under the press box at Semi's, and I encountered the same from others. Instead of being annoyed at the newbies, I was just happy that newbies were in the stands period and that hopefully the will be back to DCI shows in the future.

As for The Cadets' response (I can't tell if you're unhappy because of your own personal experience, or if you're unhappy because Cadets' show was no well received), I was shocked at how quiet the stands seemed to be during Cadets' show. In Semi's, at the first big hit ("We believe in... NOW") there was NOTHING, when I thought that was a big crowd moment most of the summer (web cast wise). It was so quiet from row 74 I could hear the Cadets staff clapping and cheering from the staff viewing area (front couple rows/center).

BUT, at least the crowd wasn't booing and acting like jerks.

You can't blame the crowd for not liking the show, and I guess if they weren't being obnoxious (like Quarters, from what I've heard) than I guess it's OK. It could've been all of the BD fans, but it could've just been that by the end of the season people were "done" with The Cadets' show and after Quarters they didn't feel like clapping for it anymore.

Yep, 1981 holds the record until official reports come out of the crowd attendance for 2007;

81Scoreboard.jpg

The ghost of the Montreal Expos shakes its fist in envy.

I know you're a new age-out, but that stuff ALWAYS happens at every show (even finals). I had amazing seats on the 50 right under the press box at Semi's, and I encountered the same from others. Instead of being annoyed at the newbies, I was just happy that newbies were in the stands period and that hopefully the will be back to DCI shows in the future.

As for The Cadets' response (I can't tell if you're unhappy because of your own personal experience, or if you're unhappy because Cadets' show was no well received), I was shocked at how quiet the stands seemed to be during Cadets' show. In Semi's, at the first big hit ("We believe in... NOW") there was NOTHING, when I thought that was a big crowd moment most of the summer (web cast wise). It was so quiet from row 74 I could hear the Cadets staff clapping and cheering from the staff viewing area (front couple rows/center).

Yeah only the staff and Cadet-gear wearing fans and a very few others-- a relatively small group of people altogether-- were cheering loudly at the big hits on Friday and Saturday, but the crowd was polite. Many stood at the end. Many pointedly did not.

We had an enthusiastic newbie next to us. I always like that, personally. It's fun to see it again through fresh eyes.

Before the USMC performed they announced the attendance figure, which I didn't make out as I was mid-conversation, but I did catch that this was the best attended finals since 1990. Perhaps that date was used because of the change in attendence tabulation?

I suspect that attendance in Indy will be huge. It's so close to so many parts of the Midwest, South, and East that I think the fans will definitely turn out for it. heck, the Indy regional is usually a huge crowd, so when you add in all of those who travel for Finals wherever they are, I think Indy's attendance will be strong.

As for the blurbs I've seen in this thread concerning the reaction to the Cadets, I can only speak for my area on all nights, but on Friday night in particular, the reaction was fantastic. The ovation was huge at various points in the show, but especially on the first big horn hit. I guess it's just a matter of perspective.