Finals Attendance

Attendance was good. But the endzones barely nicked the part past the front sideline. And most of the lower deck was vacant on the ends. It probably is over 30K, but I doubt it'd be over 40K. But then again, I don't know how many fit in those box things above the stadium as those seemed full.

Sorry about that one guys west coast experience. But for us west coasters, our experience isn't much better when it's held out east. Not to say that either is better, just that it is what it is. Indianapolis has potential to be huge. But really, what is there in the area to do?

I'm sure much of the CA attendance was because everyone knows it will probably NEVER be out here again in our lifetimes. It only took 35 years this time around. Just my take on it. Heck it's almost a week later and I'm still in California. Went boating around the harbor monday, checked out the Kanstul sales room today. I'll probably check out Kanstul again on Friday on the way out of town/state. In the meantime I still haven't even made it to the beach.

For indianapolis, I know it'll still be out there several years from now, so there's no real urgency to make it out there next year, or the year after that.

I was at semis and finals in Madison last year as well as semis and finals in Pasadena this year and there were definitely more fans in the stadium in Pasadena. However, the fans seemed to be more interactive with the shows in Madison BY FAR! I saw some people never applaud in Pasadena, while others chatted through every show on the field. BOOO!

You certainly had a more "diverse" crowd in Pasadena. Madison was the place where everyone was like: "We're back here again!" But I urge everyone here, especially East/Midwest folk not to judge west coast drum corps fans by what you saw at the Rose Bowl. I can't speak for everyone, but like I said before, this year you had many people who had never been to a finals, let alone never seen a show before. Just throwin' that out there.

Returning back to the topic, I would put the estimate at 32,000.

I do think one of the reasons why there were more people attending finals was because of the ticket prices. They were veeeeery reasonable. You could buy tickets for the whole family without taken a second mortgage. Here's a copy of a ticket from 1981;

dcitix1981.jpg

Oh god...seeing that and then looking at my $75, 20 yardline ticket, just makes me cry!

However many folks there were in the crowd... they were phenomenal! There's something about your entire field of vision being filled by fans during a show that... makes it feel just a little more exciting :D

As for Semi's, and tickets... my Mom gave a ride to a couple of my corps' volunteers to the show. They had tickets but she didn't, and was hoping to get a ticket for the show. She couldn't afford those $75 dollar tickets ( :doh: btw), but a man outside the stadium, GAVE his ticket to her! She was one of the happiest people I've ever seen when she came back to the school after the show! So if that man is reading these boards, THANK YOU! You made a proud parent of an age out extremely happy :).

She went to finals last year, and I don't recall any midwesterners giving out their tickets to Corps Moms... So how's THAT for West Coast crowds?! JK :doh: :P

Yes, it does hold over 100,000. They use the black tarp on both sides on the lower sections, because of poor sight for football games. That is why the listed capacity is 91,000 or whatever it is. But, it still does hold over 100,000.
Not it really doesn't. They did a reconfiguration some time ago and those tarps only cover about 4,000 seats.

The current official seating capacity is 92,542.

Newbies behind us for three nights....which is fine, except they had to be gently reminded that talking must cease once a corps begins!

To answer the Mouse question from earlier... I don't remember Mickey Mouse being on hand to present the Spirit of Disney Award at any DCI except Orlando's, and now Pasadena's, due to the proximity of Disneyland.

I loved when Mickey walked over toward Crown's DM's, he and Evan high-fived each other!

Newbies behind us for three nights....which is fine, except they had to be gently reminded that talking must cease once a corps begins!
Yeah, I am not so good at that when it is a grizzled corps veteran from the mid west behind you going through his phone list. It is still annoying though.

There are no shortage of people at finals with more corps viewing experience than I, who are majorly inattentive. Happens every time, and I really don't get it.

Edited by VKMello84

I don't remember Mickey Mouse being on hand to present the Spirit of Disney Award at any DCI except Orlando's, and now Pasadena's, due to the proximity of Disneyland.

I loved when Mickey walked over toward Crown's DM's, he and Evan high-fived each other!

Mickey got a great reception in Pasadena... and in Orlando all four years... which kinda makes up for the really rude reception he got in Buffalo in 1995. Yes, before some drum corps "fans" booed Cadets in Pasadena, a large and loud contingent of drum corps fans actually also booed Mickey Mouse at DCI Buffalo 1995. Kinda like the Philadelphia Eagles fans' tradition of booing Santa Claus. Hard to understand, unless you were there. There was a lot of hostility by drum corps fans... and this was in the days before Internet hostility became so rampant... towards DCI when Orlando was picked for championships in a three year deal beginning in 1996. Some didn't want to go south again. Some thought the Disney company was going to Disnefy DCI. And they took it out on poor Mickey when he was introduced as a "special surprise" in Buffalo, not so much to present SoD (I don't remember if he did or not), but the way they sometimes introduce the mayor of next year's championship city to welcome fans. As boos cascaded down from the stands, Mickey just waved and smiled as always-- go figure-- but I bet he went back to Orlando and said, Can you believe it, they actually booed me. If you ask Bill Cook, he'll tell you that if not for Disney and the special three-year deal to take championships to Orlando, DCI probably would have gone under financially. But some fans didn't want to hear it.

/edited to change mistake where I said DCI championships were in Orlando five years... it was only four

Edited by Peel Back

Mickey got a great reception in Pasadena... and in Orlando all five years... which kinda makes up for the really rude reception he got in Buffalo in 1995. Yes, before some drum corps "fans" booed Cadets in Pasadena, a large and loud contingent of drum corps fans actually also booed Mickey Mouse at DCI Buffalo 1995. Kinda like the Philadelphia Eagles fans' tradition of booing Santa Claus. Hard to understand, unless you were there. There was a lot of hostility by drum corps fans... and this was in the days before Internet hostility became so rampant... towards DCI when Orlando was picked for championships in a three year deal beginning in 1996. Some didn't want to go south again. Some saw it as a deal of more convenience for DCI than its fans. And they took it out on poor Mickey when he was introduced as a "special surprise" in Buffalo, not so much to present SoD (I don't remember if he did or not), but the way they sometimes introduce the mayor of next year's championship city to welcome fans. As boos cascaded down from the stands, Mickey just waved and smiled as always-- go figure-- but I bet he went back to Orlando and said, Can you believe it, they actually booed me. If you ask Bill Cook, he'll tell you that if not for Disney and the special three-year deal to take championships to Orlando, DCI probably would have gone under financially. But some fans didn't want to hear it.

It must not have been the real Mickey then. If they had booed, he would have filed a lawsuit against them.