Who was your favorite PBS broadcasting team?

Just out of curiosity, who did the first telecast in '75 (or was it '74?)?

I think that was Rayburn...and maybe Maynard Furguson?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene Rayburn and DCI...

"Dumb Donald is SOOOOOO dumb, he thought the Blue Devils were ________"

I really liked the 87 team. Cesario explaining the Blue Devils' opening drill using a telestrator..."Xs and Os moving into wedge form and wedge form, etc." and reliable Rondo saying something like "Move over John Madden..."

Hated Curt Gowdy though. After 89 SCV's show he said something like "It looked like they had trouble with the wind" to which good old reliable Rondo QUICKLY said "No they didn't!"

I think I need to go back and rewatch those years...gotta get quotes right :lookaround:

well I can tell you for sure that rock drummer Carmine Appice was the most pathetic. What a doof.

Carmine Appice is pathetic and a moron on a regular basis. He recently was quoted in Modern Drummer magazine saying, "If it weren't for me the world would have never known or heard of John Henry Bonham"

He puts his face or name on anything he can. He hasn't quite realized he isn't as good as he thinks he is. He's pretty much a joke in the industry.

Curt Gowdy was simply funny for his trouble saying things correctly.

I don't think Rondinero ever had his name pronounced correctly when Curt introduced him -

"And introducing my partner...Mr. Steve Rondindero" or something else like that. Go back and watch the 1992 telecast if you have it.

Cesario was great with lots of "quotables" my favorite being "like taking a bath in chocolate." - in reference to Phantom's 1995 Baritone section.

Others I liked were Maynard Ferguson from early 80's (1983 or something like that). Rita Moreno was great as well. I really enjoyed - then Maynard Ferguson was cool to have up there in the booth.

In 1997 I think on the broadcast they did a special tribute to the actual telecast for DCI's 25th anniversary.

I remember Barbara Hunter and Pete Emmons...this was in '78

He wasn't all too pleased with Santa Clara's performance...didn't think they'd win

they showed him with a happy but stunned/semi-laughing "I don't believe it" look when Phantom was announced in 2nd

this was back when the winning corps went nuts and celebrated immediately after 2nd place was announced

Steve started in '79 and Maynard Ferguson was there

As already mentioned...Rita Moreno in '80

Rob McConnell in '82

Chuck Mangione in '83

Don Angelica and Charles Webb (Dean of Music at the University of Indiana at the time) in '86

'88 Charles Webb and Michael Cesario...Charles really fit in well, I thought

'89 through '93 Curt Gowdy...he did get Rondinaro correct in '91 and '93..what his problem was in '92 is anyone's guess

Steve, Mike, and Dennis '94-'98, then Mike was gone in '99

I forget her name, but she was in the booth with Chuck Mangione the first year Phantom did 1812 and Cadets first championship (83?). I think she had a New York theater background. I remember her criticizing the Cadets guard moves from a dance perspective, but in a very positive manner. Described the Madison Scouts as fanciful. She loved Phantom.