Why the Cadets should have won

I like this show a helluva lot better than I did at the beginning of the season. It was a tremendous effort musically & drill-wise. It deserved to be in the top 5 which is saying a lot for this year. I could have seen it winning. I could also have seen it coming in 5th.

I am a fan of the ensemble, themselves. Their defenders, on the other hand - I have grown tiresome of their griping and condescendence. What is innovative about narration? Dozens of corps have used it, some more effectively than others. I was way more offended last year when we (drum corps fans) were total idiots for not getting their show. Just so you know once and for all: We all got it, just a lot of us did not care for it. I think '05's The Zone (mic'd singing, but no narration btw) is a fair comparison to '93 Star. I saw it again the other day and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. It took me some time to enjoy Star's effort also.

This year's drill was amazing and I do give he Cadets their props for pulling it off. Well done! I also applaud the Cadets for performing wind band music. They are one of the few corps who still do that on a regular basis.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it means that the marching experience gained 30 years ago does not automatically equate to knowledge of the demands of today's visual designs. Using a "well we didn't need them in 1975" as some sort of justification for not needing them in 2007 demonstrates a marked lack of growth and knowledge in how shows have progressed over time.

For those people that start their negative assessments of a show with a, "well we didn't need them in 1975", type of statement, I would agree that their reasoning is ill informed and lacks "current experience" . That turns a comment into an insult to any newer members to the activity that march a current style show.

However, as prevalent as it may seem, I think those people are in the minority and are mostly squeeky wheels that get noticed because someone takes offense. When I first came on here I tried to make some comparisons to the shows of 1970ish years, not so much saying that they were better as much as, what we did was good in it's own way too, I got shot down and insulted by younger people that care not for what came before. But most had the attitude that what was done in the past was also good. It cuts both ways.

Mostly, I read well thought out commentary, some great humor, (mostly mine :D ), and some really good debates by intelligent, experienced, knowledgeable, bad spellers.

Not really. Naration has been used by other corps this year and by other corps in years past. So, it's not "unique".

Garfield did what garfield does best. Excecuted the hell of good drill and played some really good music. The scores on each caption also bear this out, but I really think that without the naration people would have to refer to this as "the one with the yellow flags' or what ever because w/o the narration, it really isn't that memorable over an above OTHER really well executed garfield shows. (Sorry...Garfield = old habits dying hard)

It's not the narration that was unique. It's usage - which is what I was referring to - is. No other group, other than BD's 'Yowza' show, used it to that extent. Make sense?

I think BD had the best performance Finals night and they did deserve to win. Cadets were also excellent, but the narration was just too much. Cadets were pretty much told by the crowd with a chorus of boo's how a lot of people felt about their show. I don't believe Cadets 2007 show will be remembered as a classic such as 1988 BD when they lost to Madison in a shock, but were clearly the better corps.

If future corps want to be booed off the field they should follow the Cadets example.

BD 2005 was the Yowza show.
I didn't like that one. :blink:

For those people that start their negative assessments of a show with a, "well we didn't need them in 1975", type of statement, I would agree that their reasoning is ill informed and lacks "current experience" . That turns a comment into an insult to any newer members to the activity that march a current style show.

However, as prevalent as it may seem, I think those people are in the minority and are mostly squeeky wheels that get noticed because someone takes offense. When I first came on here I tried to make some comparisons to the shows of 1970ish years, not so much saying that they were better as much as, what we did was good in it's own way too, I got shot down and insulted by younger people that care not for what came before. But most had the attitude that what was done in the past was also good. It cuts both ways.

Mostly, I read well thought out commentary, some great humor, (mostly mine :D ), and some really good debates by intelligent, experienced, knowledgeable, bad spellers.

I think we're on the same page here, after going round and round a bit!

...like we usually do! :P

I think BD had the best performance Finals night and they did deserve to win. Cadets were also excellent, but the narration was just too much. Cadets were pretty much told by the crowd with a chorus of boo's how a lot of people felt about their show. I don't believe Cadets 2007 show will be remembered as a classic such as 1988 BD when they lost to Madison in a shock, but were clearly the better corps.

If future corps want to be booed off the field they should follow the Cadets example.

Narration didn't seem to have much to do with scores, as they were 1st in Music Effect, one place it would impact a score.

Their 4th in percussion and guard had a LOT to do with things.

Narration didn't seem to have much to do with scores, as they were 1st in Music Effect, one place it would impact a score.

Their 4th in percussion and guard had a LOT to do with things.

You are assuming the the judges don't compare notes pre-show.

They do, most definitely. I've seen it in action.

Ever heard the story of the perfect percussion score? Think that happened by accident? (never before, never since, and an extremely UNperfect drumline though the corps was great and that was the whole point...)

If they approved of the narration garbage, I can assure you Cadets WOULD have won...probably all 3 days.