Why the Cadets should have won

The reason BD won is because they were cleaner

thats what corps are judged on last time I checked

I dont mind that alot of you think Cadets shouldve won but.....

Yes you do

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the show like Star of 93will get credit 4 or 5 years down the road when everyone is trying to do what Cadets did this year. Hey though its like Karma 93 Star was way better than Cadets 93 especially finals night and look what happened. 93 Cadets was great, but inovation wise and pushing the envelope not even close to Star and Star was cleanier too. Gee sound familier from the other night? Like 93 knowone will really talk about BD's show ten years from now they will be talking and drum corps kids will be listening to Cadets 07 saying how sweet they were and how everyone was booing them just like we talked about star of 93 when I marched. When you think of 93 you think of Star of Indiana. You don't think about Cadets and sorry BD fans that is your fate also. People will remember Cadets show more than they will remember yours or your championship. what goes around comes around I guess.

No, and here's the difference. You're comparing inovation where there is nothing to compare. NOTHING about 2007 Cadets was inovative. It's all been done before. Star 93 Put things on the field that no one had ever seen before, which was evidenced by the fact that show design (especially from the Cadets IMO) began to copy several elements from Star's 93 show in the next 3-4 years. In contrast, I feel you will see none of that 3-4 years down the road in relation to Cadets 07. To me it seemed that the 07 Cadets show was designed entirley around the concept of being able to narrate, like a last ditch desparate attempt by certain people to prove to the drum corps community that narration is a valid part of drum corps and more people should do it!!!!!! The fact that the vast majority of people say "Cadets show would have been just amazing sans narration" continues to prove that drum corps is better WITHOUT narration, and there is really no instance where that is not the case.

Cadets gaurd in fourth was gift IMO. They had a very dirty performance Saturday (several drops) and thought they should have been 6th just ahead of Bluecoats.

Both Phantom's and SCV's guards had very difficult and creative work performed much cleaner then Cadets.

Edited by shawn craig

"To me it seemed that the 07 Cadets show was designed entirley around the concept of being able to narrate, like a last ditch desparate attempt by certain people to prove to the drum corps community that narration is a valid part of drum corps and more people should do it!!!!!!"

If this was the case then why aren't more Corps using narration? Cadets introduced narration TWO years ago in their 2005 show. If narration was that innovative and Corps believed this was the way forward, why haven't they introduced it into their show design? Answer? Because many people don't believe it is the way forward.

I'm one of the handful of people that thought narration worked for the Cadets' show, however I wouldn't want to see it across the board.

Why the paranoia about "certain people?" I know who you're referring to, but do you honestly think that Corps directors/designers/fans are so easily influenced by "certain people?"

Sounds like you've got an agenda against "certain people".

Yes, Cadets should have won. There were the better corps. However, I could have seen many dc fans leaving the stadium and never returning if Cadets had won (I wonder if George realizes that - that he almost certainly would have won if he didn't have the narration in the show?) For me, after seeing them Thursday night for the first time, they won me over (on their phenomenal execution) but the the talking did get to me. Everything was better after I went down to the Cadet souvie trailer and had the implant put in behind my ear (I'M KIDDING). Cadets were a very good corps this year.

BD was great, but they weren't able to come up with the set-the-grass-on-fire, leave-no-prisoners closer that would have made them a shoo-in.

(sigh)

See you next year!

Dan

To me it seemed that the 07 Cadets show was designed entirley around the concept of being able to narrate, like a last ditch desparate attempt by certain people to prove to the drum corps community that narration is a valid part of drum corps and more people should do it!!!!!! The fact that the vast majority of people say "Cadets show would have been just amazing sans narration" continues to prove that drum corps is better WITHOUT narration, and there is really no instance where that is not the case.

You have no way of knowing what the 'majority' think, nor is anything you said 'proof'...just opnion.

"To me it seemed that the 07 Cadets show was designed entirley around the concept of being able to narrate, like a last ditch desparate attempt by certain people to prove to the drum corps community that narration is a valid part of drum corps and more people should do it!!!!!!"

If this was the case then why aren't more Corps using narration? Cadets introduced narration TWO years ago in their 2005 show. If narration was that innovative and Corps believed this was the way forward, why haven't they introduced it into their show design? Answer? Because many people don't believe it is the way forward.

I'm one of the handful of people that thought narration worked for the Cadets' show, however I wouldn't want to see it across the board.

I thought it worked just fine...but like you I don't want to see it...or any one thing...used 'across the board'. I hope it remains as I think it will...something that is used every now and then as a corps design team thinks appropriate, as is done in the band world.

Yes, Cadets should have won. There were the better corps. However, I could have seen many dc fans leaving the stadium and never returning if Cadets had won (I wonder if George realizes that - that he almost certainly would have won if he didn't have the narration in the show?)

Dan,

Why do you think that? They were tied for 1st in effect. Their .65 out in percussion made up most of the diference, and their low guard placement did not help either.

Narration had, IMO, no deleterious effect on their score. Of course, the only way to know for sure would be to hear the tapes.

I believe the gentleman who started this blog needs to go back to his DCI tapes and watch those that came before. This isn't a "Blast" show, a Rock Concert or a Broadway musical. All that doesn't belong on the field. Just like the sissy-ballet marching that half of the corps are doing these days!

I do have a ton of respect for these performers and the hard work that goes into the shows, I just think those "powers-that- be" in DCI are losing the true spirit of Drum Corps and the activity.

The Cadets were good... very good... but I could not really get into the show with all those stupid comments during the middle of the mus.c.

Maybe if they focused on music and marching they would of won the show. Even though... the Blue Devils were the best corps that night.

Just so you know... I was in the stands that night and a ton of people were making fun of those Cadets comments and some where putting their fingers in their ears.

Drop the mic-ed shows! :doh:

The reason BD won is because they were cleaner

thats what corps are judged on last time I checked

I dont mind that alot of you think Cadets shouldve won but, please tell me why from a performance stand point because clearly both shows were equally effective (39.30)

I haven't seen anyone say The Cadets were cleaner. I have seen many many people say they enjoyed The Cadets show more though. . . .and no it is not all about execution. If it were, then why is GE part of the system?