Auditioning for Div. 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still deciding whether or not to audition at Surf this year, or work this summer and wait until next year, so I can afford it and so that I can improve my skills. As of now, since I wouldn't want to attend any audition unprepared, I'm most likely not going to audition until next year. I honestly don't think I would have a chance of making the line after only having played the trumpet for a few months. I definitely will do everything it takes, though, to march DCI when I still have the opportunity.

I would go to camp just for the experience and to learn what everything is all about. Even if you THINK that you probably have very little chance of making it, still go. You'll be less nervous at your audition next year if you have already auditioned once, you'll get to know what the camps are all about, and maybe get some advice from other auditionees. Also, when you audition they will likely tell you what you should work on and everything. But you're probably just underestimating yourself right now. Go and give it your 100%, you'll never know what will happen.

I'm still deciding whether or not to audition at Surf this year, or work this summer and wait until next year, so I can afford it and so that I can improve my skills. As of now, since I wouldn't want to attend any audition unprepared, I'm most likely not going to audition until next year. I honestly don't think I would have a chance of making the line after only having played the trumpet for a few months. I definitely will do everything it takes, though, to march DCI when I still have the opportunity.

Aw, c'mon, Hrothgar, you'd be surprised. I had a friend who'd been playing the tuba for two weeks (her primary was clarinet) audition for BAC in '06, and she got an alt spot.

Some corps hornline's have different demands, and will take into account your visual strength as a performer as well as musical. Some corps hornline's won't even be full until June or July. I think you might be giving a little bit too much credit to those who actually do march.

You should march, whether it's Surf or anyone else, as soon as possible and for as long as possible.. You'll learn a lot.

I didn't read the whole thread....just the last page of posts.

ATTENTION: GO AUDITION! This isn't a college audition or orchestra audition....this is drum corps. The audition process is MONTHS long. A very few corps can afford to cut on the first or second camp....but most corps love to have everyone they can all winter long. I can not tell you how many times a kid kept showing up to camps, got better and better and EARNED a spot. DCI isn't about how well you can play scales in November, it is about your attitude and ability to want to be a part of something. Heck, I've been with corps that never even had "auditions" (one on one with staff), it was more like a section or group audition. Many corps don't even have time to see each member individually the first few days.

To those considering SURF: Please go: great staff, no pressure, good food, great equipment. You will learn something the first weekend...I gurantee it.

I'm not sure what it's worth, but I'll take an historical crack at the subject. It's one of those old timer stories, so please bear with me. I was born into the activity. In 1975 I graduated from high school, and decided to take the summer off from Drum Corps so that I could kick back and party before I started college (a very stupid decision). Anyway, I didn't follow Drum Corps the entire season and didn't know what happened. One day in October, I was driving down the road and picked up one of my old corpsmates who was hitch-hiking. We were going over some old times and I thought it would be a good chance for me to catch up on what I missed. When I asked him who won the World Open that year he said something about a corps that wore blue uniforms and came from hell. I asked him who they were, where they were from, and how they got so good so fast. That was the first time I had ever heard of the Blue Devils or a town in California named Concord, and thought "man I'd better get back in the saddle before I age out" (which I did). The point being that whatever corps you decide to go to, they might turn out to be pure dynamite - you never know. The 75' DCI title is Madison's without question, but the Blue Devils shocked everybody when they marched into the World Open and snatched it. Despite all of the titles they've earned over the years, that was probably their finest hour. Not bad for kids in a corps that many people had never heard of. Good luck to all. :)

SPIRIT from JSU.

Mellophone.

=] =] =]

My cousin, who plays clarinet and is learning mellophone, is probably auditioning with me. Has anyone played clarinet and made a Div. I (now world class) corps after just learning mello? Just curious.

Just audition. Personally, even if they go to world class, they'll be trying to get all the hornline members they can. Lower placing world class corps aren't exactly going to cut 10 people because they can't play a certain thing. Improvement is just as much as an audition "material" as musicianship is.

I had a friend who'd been playing the tuba for two weeks (her primary was clarinet) audition for BAC in '06, and she got an alt spot.

Some corps hornline's have different demands, and will take into account your visual strength as a performer as well as musical.

That is be true because BAC is big on the visual part of drum corps.

SPIRIT from JSU.

Mellophone.

=] =] =]

My cousin, who plays clarinet and is learning mellophone, is probably auditioning with me. Has anyone played clarinet and made a Div. I (now world class) corps after just learning mello? Just curious.

Saxophone, G Soprano.