The drum corps activity, some controversy and new designs...

Good points on that...I suppose any sort of show that deals with war will seem partisan to someone, no matter how innocuous it might be. I suppose we'll just have to let hindsight sort that our down the road for us.

Another idea, then: what about a show that centers around Katrina/New Orleans?

New Orleans is an easy vehicle to write around, and, much like the Cavaliers represented the Chicago fires in 2005 on the field...it could be poignant as well.

Since Spirit seems to be looking for a new direction, that kind of show might work for them...while still giving enough "Cajun flavor" that the corps Southern identity wouldn't be lost on legacy fans, either.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points on that...I suppose any sort of show that deals with war will seem partisan to someone, no matter how innocuous it might be. I suppose we'll just have to let hindsight sort that our down the road for us.

Another idea, then: what about a show that centers around Katrina/New Orleans?

New Orleans is an easy vehicle to write around, and, much like the Cavaliers represented the Chicago fires in 2005 on the field...it could be poignant as well.

Since Spirit seems to be looking for a new direction, that kind of show might work for them...while still giving enough "Cajun flavor" that the corps Southern identity wouldn't be lost on legacy fans, either.

a Katrina show would be amazing. The music would have to be New Orleans style jazz stuff (IMO) - though I don't know how well it would translate onto the field. That kind of music is so deeply rooting in different timbres, improvised solos, and laid back percussion I think any attempt to "Drum Corps-ize" it would destroy it.

a Katrina show would be amazing. The music would have to be New Orleans style jazz stuff (IMO) - though I don't know how well it would translate onto the field. That kind of music is so deeply rooting in different timbres, improvised solos, and laid back percussion I think any attempt to "Drum Corps-ize" it would destroy it.

I think the general "feel" of New Orleans can be kept without truly losing sight of the concept...Magic Of Orlando did something similar in either 1997 or 1998.

Layering Katrina on top of that would be the difficult part... if the ballad section began to deal with it, the Cavaliers "waterfall" effect from 2000 would be eerily effective at the beginning of the piece.

c. Drill...or even a show in its entireity...based on mathematical concepts. Nothing like any of the BOA stuff (NC's Clayton H.S. 2006 show is not what I'm going for here) you might be thinking of...but actually using geometric graphing for drill sets, up to the concept of creating a show to use the "golden mean", group theory, number theory and using selected music as a creation point for drill

Problem:

The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps marches 64 horns: 12 contras, 20 baritones, 16 mellos, and 16 trumpets. Other than what horn a person is carrying, all members of the Cavaliers are indistinguishable. In their 2008 program, they rotate an 8x8 box in the center of the field, but when they do the move, the techs get really confused because they're on different sides of the block. "Did you guys even move? This looks just like the first set! Run a lap!"

How many rotationally distinct ways can you arrange the hornline in the 8x8 block? (btw their program is dedicated to Alex Trebek, so you can think about Jeopardy music while figuring it out.)

(I don't remember how to get the answer, but just a reason why I'd like every book and paper on group theory to burst into flames.)

(I don't remember how to get the answer, but just a reason why I'd like every book and paper on group theory to burst into flames.)

Yeah, I left my "Internet Math Whiz" degree at home when I wrote that part, I guess I got carried away with group theory. :P

I do think, though, that math and music are certainly intertwined enough (there's been god knows how many books and papers on it) that we could find some sort of show that could take advantage of it...of course, it would take a lot more thought process than the surface I'm scratching at with this thread.

c. Drill...or even a show in its entireity...based on mathematical concepts. Nothing like any of the BOA stuff (NC's Clayton H.S. 2006 show is not what I'm going for here) you might be thinking of...but actually using geometric graphing for drill sets, up to the concept of creating a show to use the "golden mean", group theory, number theory and using selected music as a creation point for drill

Check out WGI percussion 2005. Aftermath in PIO did an entire show about the golden mean. Drill, music, etc.

• 2 months later...
Um... not really. The Afghan part was. The Iraq part, not so much. Iraq, part dos was going to happen anyhow. W had to get a war started with them so he could get two terms.

Not sure?

We used to have a current events forum here, but it's since moved off-site to Daniel's inmotio site.

I understand there is passion on this particular subject, but we have to keep things centered on our little microcosm of drum corps somewhat posting-wise, else we go off into a political riff that this site is not equipped to handle now.

As far as an impromptu show goes, Elvis Costello did a concert tour in the late '80s where he spun a big wheel that randomly chose his next song. Cant you just see it, the wheel slows and stops on Malaguena, the crowd roars its approval while the kids run to the set!