The drum corps activity, some controversy and new designs...

OK.. one more pretty out there... but it would really be cool to see something in such a different direction like this.

There is a Brazilian band called Golden Shower.

Start the program with the short narration...

"Listen to the sound of the sun and the stars"... kick into the tune "Radio Data".

Other possible tunes:

New York Groove

Stamp Color Sundae

The Man Machine (Bollywood)

If I Were John Carpenter

Chrome on Neon

Cotrofre

Total Control

Anyway, you can listen to all these songs online for free on their web site linked above.

BTW - with amplification... why hasn't anyone used a tabla yet????

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many options for costumes are much less expensive than uniforms.

I don't really think that much of anything else I mentioned adds any more expenses than currently.

Anyway, there is also plenty of money out there... just a lot of people running corps with less consistent operations are not so good at making it. This creates the misconception that drum corps is too expensive of an activity that is incapable of sustaining itself.

There is no problem with the nature of the activity in being able to develop numerous sustainable organizations with multi-million dollar budgets. It is only a management issue.

Part of this problem is the mindset that potential managers should have experience performing with a corps, which significantly limits the potential talent pool. Though a group of people have a drive to establish a corps and may be good at getting an initial operations up and running, it doesn't mean that they have the skills or experience to keep it going, let alone grow it.

The truth is that if there were 50 organizations with competent, experienced management with solid business management experience, there would be 50 super corps.

Yet, there are only 21 functioning D1 corps as of today, the vast majority of which are one minor catastrophy away from folding. Ah, pie in the sky is always so yummy. :)

Yet, there are only 21 functioning D1 corps as of today, the vast majority of which are one minor catastrophy away from folding. Ah, pie in the sky is always so yummy. :)

Corps folding is not an issue of anything actually connected with the nature of the type of activity. I think it has been brought up before that cheerleading, for example, is a youth activity that generates hundreds of millions of dollars a year in revenues.

Drum corps can become a cash-positive activity if there is a shift in mindset.

What is different for activities like cheerleading and youth sports?

Competent, experienced management.

How many of the individuals running drum corps have either a business/finance education or prior management experience?

I think you will find that it is not a coincidence that the corps with the most cash are also the ones with the most experienced management.

The board of existing corps should be aggressively courting qualified management. The more that do this, the greater the number of top-tier corps.