The drum corps activity, some controversy and new designs...

a. Long about 1970 or so, the Garfield Cadets decided to make a statement about the war in Vietnam. A few years later, Suncoast Sound paid tribute to the Vietnam conflict in their 1984 production.

Years after the start of our most recent conflict, we've yet to see anyone tackle the war in Iraq....not from a partisan "yes/no" concept, but from the mindset that the war is sort of a national touchstone for our collective conscience.

Why do you think that is? Is it a good thing? Bad?

b. As popular as "meta" has become (see "Adaptation", other forms of narrative), one wonders when (or if) drum corps will ever see a show that encompasses the meta process via:

-non linear progression of performance

-a literal "show within a show" with a small cadre of performers that interact with the larger group

...and so on.

What kinds of shows could come out of such a design format?

c. Drill...or even a show in its entireity...based on mathematical concepts. Nothing like any of the BOA stuff (NC's Clayton H.S. 2006 show is not what I'm going for here) you might be thinking of...but actually using geometric graphing for drill sets, up to the concept of creating a show to use the "golden mean", group theory, number theory and using selected music as a creation point for drill (similar...although this is a simple form of it...as to what's seen here, here and here.)

Could we see anything substantial to come out of that, or would that be over intellectualizing a show?

Just some random thoughts...some of which we've brought up, but some we haven't....and some we haven't talked about since folks came back from tour.

Also, this is no slight on the product in its current form. I like to get slammed back a few rows by a straightforward show just as much (if not more) as others...but when we speak of "creativity of design", it usually involves adding something (electronics, etc) to what we have already. Why not try to expand on what we have to work with now?

additional note: this topic is not intended to fire off any political commentary on my part regarding point "a"...just trying to get some discussion going. :)

What kind of ideas do you have that could set the activity on its ear? :blink:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great topic!

a.

very interesting thought - it would take a design team with a lot of cajoles to pull something like this. Now I wasnt alive back then so my perspective is somewhat limited, but I feel like the cultural climate surrounding this war is night and day different from what was going on back then. This war was a direct result of a tragic act of terrorism on this country...in today's society, the favored means of protest is satire and irony. Neither of these things were very present in the world surrounding Vietnam.

The different cultural attitudes and sensibilities present today make pulling off an effective show extremely difficult if not impossible. Too satirical and light, and people feel you might be trivializing or making fun of the situation - approach it too seriously and the design vehicle that is a drum corps show falls apart under the sheer weight of the issue. In today's world of political correctness and differing viewpoints, it would be impossible to approach this issue with any kind of the objectivity needed to effectively create a performance.

the Cadets peace sign worked because it was not the focus of the show...it was just a symbol put in the end to spark a little meaning in the performance.

b.

I've been thinking about these ideas for a while as well...

how cool would it be to see a show design about a drum corps show design? WGI has had several shows that take this next step to the "meta" level of design (flags that say "soloist" or "look here" and floors with similar markers) the question is, are there any corps willing to take the risk of adapting something like this for a field?

I've also been toying with the idea of a non-liner performance, kind of like a choose your own adventure type thing - though i have been approaching it through the ideas of chance operations (John Cage, Merce Cunningham, etc.)

what if a corps prepared several short selections and right before performance rolled a die (or consulted the "I Ching") to determine the order the segments would be performed that night??? That would be wild and would encourage repeated viewings because every show would be a new performance.

c.

strange, today I was listening to Thomas Dolby and thinking about how to design a show around the idea of science....

Kennesaw Mountain High School did a pretty "meta" show in 2004. It would have been cool if it weren't for the incessant narration ("WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO BASICS!?!?! IT'S SOOOO HOT OUT HERE!!!!!!!! WHEN CAN WE GET WATER!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"). Basically the show progressed from band camp, to rehearsal, and finally the last third of the show they put their shakos on and did "the BOA performance," complete with the music from the BOA Grand Nationals DVDs and the announcer!

great topic!

a.

very interesting thought - it would take a design team with a lot of cajoles to pull something like this. Now I wasnt alive back then so my perspective is somewhat limited, but I feel like the cultural climate surrounding this war is night and day different from what was going on back then. This war was a direct result of a tragic act of terrorism on this country...in today's society, the favored means of protest is satire and irony. Neither of these things were very present in the world surrounding Vietnam.

The different cultural attitudes and sensibilities present today make pulling off an effective show extremely difficult if not impossible. Too satirical and light, and people feel you might be trivializing or making fun of the situation - approach it too seriously and the design vehicle that is a drum corps show falls apart under the sheer weight of the issue. In today's world of political correctness and differing viewpoints, it would be impossible to approach this issue with any kind of the objectivity needed to effectively create a performance.

the Cadets peace sign worked because it was not the focus of the show...it was just a symbol put in the end to spark a little meaning in the performance.

oh, i do believe this will spark some controversy.

Meta-concepts are hard to pull off. For every Larry Sanders Show, you have ten hacks writing newspaper columns about how hard it is to write newspaper columns.

Meta-concepts are hard to pull off. For every Larry Sanders Show, you have ten hacks writing newspaper columns about how hard it is to write newspaper columns.

Too true...it might be easiest to start with the concept of changing performances each night (I Ching optional :P ).

Coming up with transition between pieces would be fairly easy to do, and the concept itself isn't so "out there" as some of the others.

Great thread

I think DC is art and art first above entertainment and education. Many disagree, particularly the traditionalists out there. I say to them defend your opinion as I defend mine. We can agree to disagree and will be the better for it because if you're makinf entertaining shows while I'm making pieces of art that only enriches the variety of the medium. Some films are art and some films are not. I would not want all art films to be art because sometimes I want to go to the theatre just to be entertained. This is why differentiation is ok.

Because I think DC is art, or can be art - and because I think art natrually responds to political issues - sure someone could do an Iraq war show. But good luck. That's risky business and the corps to do that has a lot of balls. I do see a problem with it though, and that is the message of the show may conflict with the opinions of its members. What if you have a pro-war 5-year ageout who shows up to the first rehearsal and finds out that he's gonna have to march an anti-war show. I'd suggest that he leave the corps but thats a lot to ask a 5 year dedicated veteran, pun intended.