The drum corps activity, some controversy and new designs...

We used to have a current events forum here, but it's since moved off-site to Daniel's inmotio site.

I understand there is passion on this particular subject, but we have to keep things centered on our little microcosm of drum corps somewhat posting-wise, else we go off into a political riff that this site is not equipped to handle now.

Sorry... my bad. Never sure where the current issue line is. I guess even in direct retort, not so much. Mea culpa.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wondered whether a corps could design a show where the corps ended of each tune in the precicely same set. Each night, the order of the tunes could be changed. Think 85/89 Suncoast Sound and the Flordia Suite. Several of those tunes could have been switched without changing the momentum of the show, but it would have been cool to see it different each night.

I'd vote for less Artsy-Fartsy and more in your face entertainment!

I agree..........

Don't try and change the world. Just go out and rock the house........it works for all of the rock bands out there. Shouldn't it work for drum corps?? I want to feel energy/EXCITEMENT.....not golf claps....

PS

Because I believe in moderation.....there should be 1 or 2 artsy shows.....

I agree..........

Don't try and change the world. Just go out and rock the house........it works for all of the rock bands out there. Shouldn't it work for drum corps?? I want to feel energy/EXCITEMENT.....not golf claps....

PS

Because I believe in moderation.....there should be 1 or 2 artsy shows.....

This.

I think a Katrina show would be great, if realized the right way. I was thinking about a Katrina show a while ago, and The opener would give a bit of the traditional New Orleans festive flavor, but with ominous overtones. The music grows increasingly dark and the drill more frantic until moving into a "storm" section. After the "Storm" section will be a mournful ballad a la New Orleans-style funeral. Then, a rebirth will occur, as a triumphant chorale (something like the Krypton Fanfare from Superman) sounds. Finally, the corps will perform a new piece that pays homage to New Orleans' past and its future. I don't know, something like that.

I think DCI is a great medium to express ideas and tell stories. Some of the most popular shows in recent years have, essentially, been musical narratives (Triple Crown, Criminal, Faust, etc.). I think it is entirely possible for a drum corps to perform a show based on a current event instead of a fictional story.

Sorry, but I rambled here a bit. How many truly controversial shows have there really even been in the past 15 years or so? Honestly, controversy usually entails a love it or hate it attitude, usually with approximately as many people loving it as hating it. I'd say Star 93, Cadets 05. BD 05, Cadets 06, and Cadets 07 could be considered controversial, but that's about it. Star 93 and the Cadets 05 have already transcended a lot of the negativity they saw the years they were performed. I think the same will happen with the Cadets 07 show. Mostly because those are 3 well-designed and well-performed shows. Cadets 06 and BD 05 had some pretty bad design issues, IMO, so they won't be as accepted...but people sure will talk about them for a long time. I guess I'm just saying that today's controversy is oftentimes tomorrow's wow, why was that such a big deal. It just takes time. A whole lot of precious time....

I'll take a way out there bizarro well-performed show over an old wine in new bottles show every day of the week, btw.

In regards to item a...

I think one of the reasons that we haven't seen anything like a drum corps show involving topical current events issues is that in there have been relatively few artistic responses out there in the popular media (That's not to say none.) When we think of Vietnam, we can easily bring up images of "Platoon," "Full Metal Jacket," "Apocalypse Now," even "Ms. Saigon," (oh wait, there's another example that could've been mentioned - SCV 91.) etc, plus a million and one songs. As far as current wars go, there isn't really much of an established "aesthetic" out there yet to build on. There's also the fact that "controversial" DCI shows that keep coming up, (Star 93, Cadets 05-07, etc.) were all controversial for artistic reasons, not political ones. The wars that the US is currently fighting in are obviously passionate topics...Since corps members and their families represent all sides of political opinions, I beleive that if a director tried to tackle this right now, you really would hurt the sensibilities of many and end up alienating large numbers of participants and fans far more than anything narration, amps, G-Bugles, etc. has ever done.

But that's not to say that there aren't some current events that could be brought up...it's been mentioned that a New Orleans / Katrina themed show could very well be tatesfully done. I agree - and remember, it would probably (hopefully) be about the music and spirit of the people of New Orleans...not a drum corps show about the bungled FEMA response in the aftermath. I bring that up for a reason - it's not that I think Drum Corps shows shouldn't be about controverisal or political topics, it's that if you're really trying to make a statment politically, a DCI show simply isn't an especially effective medium to use.

I have always wondered whether a corps could design a show where the corps ended of each tune in the precicely same set. Each night, the order of the tunes could be changed. Think 85/89 Suncoast Sound and the Flordia Suite. Several of those tunes could have been switched without changing the momentum of the show, but it would have been cool to see it different each night.

And let's take this idea one step farther. Instead of five songs that each end in precicely the same set, how about 8 or 9, with only 5 being performed each night. Now your show could be DRASTICALLY different from night to night.

And imagine the challenge on the judges esp during finals night when they have to fairly place THAT NIGHT'S performance !!!

Cuing up by broken record here...

I do find it rather odd that corps are still wearing uniforms, rather than costumes that actually have some relevance to the concept they are trying to communicate.

If you are, however, going to stick with uniforms, why not do something different with the concept? Why can't there be various groups of different colored uniforms? Absolutely solid color, head to toe, in groups primary colors? What about every single uniform being a slightly different shade than another, to the point where you have a full spectrum?

It could be extremely difficult to pull something like this off well, or utilize it's full potential (computer modeling is absolutely essential for making this work) but visual concepts like this could add a completely new dimension.

What about large, white flags silk screened with a single letter. Drill is written so that, when grouped and spaced correctly, various words and phrases are formed at different points (like a funky moving refrigerator magnet poetry). Who needs narration when you can communicate these same literal words in such a much more unique way?

Stilts????

Why are all members on the field all the time and for the whole time? Sometimes less is more? Does the entire corps have to be on the field in order to start the show?

What if the first piece started with just one guy, and the others came and joined one by one? or ... what if they left that way?

What if you found the next Bobby McFerrin... and threw him out there one year instead of a pit?

If you can use microphones, wireless microphones, and mic percussion instruments... why have so many of them? Try something different... 3 snares, 2 tenors, 4 bases... make the guard huge....

Speaking of huge guard, why is a single piece of equipment designed only to be used by a single person? How about some new equipment concepts... HUGE stuff that requires 2, 3, 4 people to use? 10 GIANT .... um, i don't know... things, out there moving like mad.

You know those sort of string games, like Cats Cradle or whatever.... one collection of movement makes one stable form, while another creates another. Why not those, but HUGE... with people, not fingers?

Is dry ice illegal?

You know those frisbees with the hole in the middle? Why not?

I could go on for days in this topic... fun. Maybe I should get my lazy ### back into things one of these days. :)

Edited by danielray

Well, controversial aesthetic has existed. I found the 02 Cadets to be rather distasteful in how the ending was changed to the "new Iwo Jima", and all the firefighting trucks that were brought in. In a time of needed solidarity, it seemed to me to be a ploy for some points on finals night. I'm sure the intentions were good, but reenacting an image from a tragedy is controversial on its own.

Another controversial show to me was the 03 Spirit show, where they pulled out the huge Jim Ott banner on Semifinals night, but that doesn't really apply to current events. It was the same theme though; at the last minute, tug at heartstrings for a last minute GE bump.

Anyhow, I actually can't find any part of any show that was more politically poignant than 02 Cadets.